R&L | Fees,fees,fees=no freight!

Recap Slinger

TB Lurker
Credits
Hazmat fee, Limited access delivery fee, reweigh fee, liftgate fee etc etc. We had a Saturday pickup that they charged an extra $750.00 PER shipment for and the shipped 3 shipments!! An extra $2250
in charges! Haven't seen anymore of their freight lately....

I think we are in line with other LTL companies as far as our fee structure is concerned. What bothers me is the ammount of freight that we handle that has had some of these fees removed because of the shippers contract.

I get a good number of residential deliveries. On the freight d/r it states limited access and liftgate fees, but if you look at the manifest it will state that in fact these fees have been waived.

I realize that alot of shippers have these fees waived in order for us to secure the buisness, but I think we need to be more selective on these waivers.

ALL residential deliveries should be charged with lift gate, limited access, and in certain cases, inside delivery, without fail. These deliveries are time consuming, and more often than not, we don't have any buisness taking a big truck into these areas.

If we are going to take the additional time and potential risk to effect these deliveries, we ought to get paid for the services we are expected to provide.

I agree with on the residentials and I didn't mean to come off like we should do everything for free, but sometimes it just seems like its gotten a little overboard. I saw a DR for a car wash that had hazmat, freezeable,
liftgate,& inside del fees listed on it.

It is almost like they know that there is a large ammount of lost revenue, and they try to recoup some of those losses on customers like your carwash.

most LTL companies charge the fee's depending on the contract. Price is for basic service, like most customers want. Look at the airlines- luggage-extra, food-extra( if even avail), extra legroom- extra, direct flight - 1st born in fee's !!:soapbox::hide:

Most of the charges are legit.but some are downright theft.Charging a notifacation fee and never calling the customer is theft as far as I am concerned,especially when I catch hell from the customer that they weren't notified the shipment was coming and hadn't made plans to be there when I was going to be delivering it.

Most of the charges are legit.but some are downright theft.Charging a notifacation fee and never calling the customer is theft as far as I am concerned,especially when I catch hell from the customer that they weren't notified the shipment was coming and hadn't made plans to be there when I was going to be delivering it.
Don't be too quick to believe a customer who screwed up and says, "I wasn't notified". Or when they say, "your dispatcher said that you would do this, you would put it here, etc.".

Most residential deliveries are done on Saturday here, people are more likely to be home and customers can't complain they have a bad back when the neighbor or son is there to help. This service is good for the customer, company and the labor cause it keeps the bottom guy working to get his 40 hrs. Plus it helps operation wise cause the driver can chase down the empty spotted trailers to be brought back to the yard when he is done....

The limited access fee for construction and car dealership sites are well worth the charge in may opinion.

Don't be too quick to believe a customer who screwed up and says, "I wasn't notified". Or when they say, "your dispatcher said that you would do this, you would put it here, etc.".

My favorite line is "the lady in your office said that you would do this, or put it here". I then always ask did you call our local terminal in town. They will say yes, I then say well, we have no female that works at our location. They always give me a weird look when I say that.

dude I don't know about you but here in dallas they have literally been running my a&& off. limited access...whatever fees may apply r&l has a lock on every liftgate delivery the metroplex has to offer. and on top of it not one customer steps up to help. it's like we are their personal gophers. put that 100 lbs box in my trunk would you? why sure. of course...I don't know what part of r&l you work for but why don't you step into the real world jack....you might realize you are much better off keeping quiet because next thing you know you will be overwhelmed with residential liftgate inside deliveries with 400 cartons going to the 35th floor and next thing you know you will be crying out the other side of your body. we get all we can handle in dallas and then some. as far as I am concerned take saturday pickups and put them where the sun doesn't shine. 55 hours and up here in dallas and more than we can handle.

dude I don't know about you but here in dallas they have literally been running my a&& off. limited access...whatever fees may apply r&l has a lock on every liftgate delivery the metroplex has to offer. and on top of it not one customer steps up to help. it's like we are their personal gophers. put that 100 lbs box in my trunk would you? why sure. of course...I don't know what part of r&l you work for but why don't you step into the real world jack....you might realize you are much better off keeping quiet because next thing you know you will be overwhelmed with residential liftgate inside deliveries with 400 cartons going to the 35th floor and next thing you know you will be crying out the other side of your body. we get all we can handle in dallas and then some. as far as I am concerned take saturday pickups and put them where the sun doesn't shine. 55 hours and up here in dallas and more than we can handle.

I wouldn't know how to act if I got to work that many hours again. Been doing good to get 40 for the past couple of years.