TForce | "fill-in" Bids Ruled Invalid...

Crumudgeon

Guru of the Gobblydeguk Constitutionalist
PREMIUM
Credits
At a panel meeting last Thursday in Richmond Va. "fill-in" bids were ruled against. Our Union and the Company agreed they violate seniority as to unassigned drivers. All unassigned drivers will be given extra-board bids with start times.

Forgive me for the delay. Now Fill-in class can begin. :popcorn: "Fill-in", a road bid which allows, at times, a junior driver to automatically be assigned a scheduled run, or a call-off, ahead of senior drivers on extra-board, or as is stated in our contract, Art. 5, sec. 7, unassigned work. At our location it is bid as an "800", allowing the least senior {unassigned} to work while senior drivers are denied their "right of first refusal", as to unassigned work. In larger locations the effect might not be the same as in a smaller one, but it violates seniority all the same..

Forgive me for the delay. Now Fill-in class can begin. :popcorn: "Fill-in", a road bid which allows, at times, a junior driver to automatically be assigned a scheduled run, or a call-off, ahead of senior drivers on extra-board, or as is stated in our contract, Art. 5, sec. 7, unassigned work. At our location it is bid as an "800", allowing the least senior {unassigned} to work while senior drivers are denied their "right of first refusal", as to unassigned work. In larger locations the effect might not be the same as in a smaller one, but it violates seniority all the same..
If the work goes to the first unassigned driver how does that violate seniority if all other drivers are on bids?

It's not going to the first unassigned, by calling it a "fill-in", or an 800 bid, they are bypassing seniority. If due to a schedule having vacation or a call out it becomes unassigned work. There are only two road classifications, schedules and unassigned, the 800 classification is when they take an out of classification driver, dock-cdl, or city and have them do line-haul, the 800 requires a return to home terminal. The senior unassigned has right of first refusal as per Art. 5, para. d.

Also my barn bid twice a year on cover bid 999-998-997
And also wild bid..900-901-902
And yes it was a time I was the first cover driver and a guy senior to me was a 900 driver. I would be able to take a guarantee 500 mile run... and he might only run 250 miles that night..but at times I had to cover a run that night that didn't pay good because I was a cover driver

That's a lot of the problem here, one does it one way and another does it another.

It's not going to the first unassigned, by calling it a "fill-in", or an 800 bid, they are bypassing seniority. If due to a schedule having vacation or a call out it becomes unassigned work. There are only two road classifications, schedules and unassigned, the 800 classification is when they take an out of classification driver, dock-cdl, or city and have them do line-haul, the 800 requires a return to home terminal. The senior unassigned has right of first refusal as per Art. 5, para. d.

i am not doubting you, but does this only apply at your terminal, or is this company-wide? If company-wide, is this written anywhere to reference?

For example, i was 800 last night. My bid run is extraboard---usually 900 or 901.

Maybe, apparently, we DO, do that at my terminal.......

Therein lies the problem, they do this here, they do that there. Too much latitude for managers to do what they want. If they spent half the time working with us as they do against us there would be few problems......