ODFL | Finally joining the OD Family @ the GBO terminal!

Just a quick update in case future trainees happen across my thread!

I knocked out the 6 weeks of training pretty fast. It helped that I had acquired my class A license shortly before starting the class, it allowed me to have HazMat put on it so I could drive all the time during L/H training and hit the minimum 240 hours needed to become driver qualified. I tested with the regional safety manager on June 10th and all my paperwork was forwarded to corporate for approval the following day. It took 3 business days to get approved by corporate (I'd been told they were approving as quickly as 1 day). I started my first week of a 5 day wild schedule last Thursday. As of right now they're letting guys fresh out of class run this 6 dispatch schedule until people below them 'graduate' and come in to L/H. You can decide to stay on the schedule or go to the wild board at that time.

I got to see JCY, SCR, HAR, ALB, SYR, SWD, BAL, and MNS this week. I now see what people were saying that weekends are the time to run if you want to get miles with little down time (especially running the NE). I spent a majority of the time hitting up dark terminals and quick dispatches between. I was able to get around 2500 miles in 5 dispatches. I'm running a twin screw up to Hurricane, WV for a meet and turn this afternoon so I should see around 3000 miles my first week and get to experience the WV turnpike with a heavy load! Things went really smooth for my first week and I had minimal questions/issues come up. It's nice to start out with a schedule even though it isn't a highly desirable one among drivers at the terminal. I'm going to really give it thought to decide if I want to keep it or go wild when the others in my class come out of training. I like the idea of there being less of a chance I'm affected by a slow down during the winter but from what I've heard from several senior drivers, they're being told this winter isn't expected to have much if any of a slow down. I know right now things are looking good for drivers at GBO, more tons of freight to move!

It's crazy how fast times past during training and here I am out on my own already. Everything has still been excellent with my time so far at OD. Tons of friendly and helpful co-workers and tons of benefits. In comparison to my previous employer, this has been a dream. I really regret not coming over years ago when other L/H friends told me to apply! Another bonus working out of the GBO terminal is that I'm occasional graced by the presence of Kenneth from time to time :D.

Very happy for you! Also, very jealous that you get to see the "legend" ....

no with Kenneth in GBO.............12 in class so he might have to do all training in LH instead of part city training too....Check it for me Kenneth

Bird they will split the class.1/2 will start linehaul the 1st couple week's&other will be in city.Then they will switch up.They start'd with the linehaul 1st a couple class's ago.I personally like them doing that.Because the trainee's get a little experience backing pup's&learning how to shift&downshift.Then by the time we get them.We don't have to worry has much with them around city&we can teach them how to rope the trailer's..
no with Kenneth in GBO.............12 in class so he might have to do all training in LH instead of part city training too....Check it for me Kenneth

My son started school in GBO today. He said they were to have 12 in class but only 8 showed up. 4 guys do not have a clue what they let fall out of their hands. I am proud of and happy for my son.

Well,atleast they figured it out before starting class&wasting everyone's time.I think they should be alot harder on the trainee's&think alot of time's they get a wrong vision of driving a truck full-time.It's not for everyone.Maybe that's why they don't let me train much.Because I'm a up front person& I tell it like it is,.No sugar coating.
My son started school in GBO today. He said they were to have 12 in class but only 8 showed up. 4 guys do not have a clue what they let fall out of their hands. I am proud of and happy for my son.

I saw all of classroom guys leaving yesterday. It's crazy to think I was the one walking around with my handbook and training manual just over 2 months ago... time flies. Good luck to all of the guys in the next class! :D

Seen progress and growth from a couple rooks I've helped the last few years, can see those who want to be "Drivers". Mainly to pay attention and don't be "That Jerk" and pay attention in a busy yard. Cause others hassle and lost time due to laziness or ignorance.