XPO | Fines for missing placard clips

Douglas

TB Lurker
Credits
Hi all...Ok I was told by another company that it is a 25 dollar fine for each missing clip on the placard holders...is this a farc or is it real?...anyone know ...thank you Gary...DSR Conway

[quote author=Douglas link=topic=79246.msg821829#msg821829 date=1271330700]
Hi all...Ok I was told by another company that it is a 25 dollar fine for each missing clip on the placard holders...is this a farc or is it real?...anyone know ...thank you Gary...DSR Conway
[/quote]
wonder what the fine is for coat hangers :clap:

[/quote]

Are you talking about the flip placard where you choose the placard you want and clip it??? Or the ones you slid in??? The ones you slide in... I usually take a piece of wood and jam it in to help hold the placard from blowing out.... the clip are usually gone. The ones that you flip placard where you choose the placard.... maybe you might get a fine??? But how could you go down the road with them flopping in the wind??? Duct tape them and tell the cop they just fell off.
:nono:

[quote author=Stimpy link=topic=79246.msg821925#msg821925 date=1271371986]
[/quote]

Are you talking about the flip placard where you choose the placard you want and clip it??? Or the ones you slid in??? The ones you slide in... I usually take a piece of wood and jam it in to help hold the placard from blowing out.... the clip are usually gone. The ones that you flip placard where you choose the placard.... maybe you might get a fine??? But how could you go down the road with them flopping in the wind??? Duct tape them and tell the cop they just fell off.
[/quote] there are 4 clips on the flip placards, i generally only see 2 being used anyways, so very possible the other 2 could be missing. very possible

Hi...yes i'm talking about the flip clips on the placards...I'm working on having the driver give me something in writing ...thanks for the replys...peace and be safe...

No, i don't think so. It sounds to me just too much to get a fine over a clip. After all most clips are missing. Never hapened to me though!! Take care....

i did receive a 25.00 fine yesterday for not having one of my safety chains hooked up...i had the p/s one hooked but forgot to hook the d/s chain from the dolly to the trailer...

[quote author=Stimpy link=topic=79246.msg821925#msg821925 date=1271371986]
[/quote]

[/quote]You shouldn't use a piece of wood, It bends the holder all to hell. Use a coat hanger. I have seen so many holders bent up so bad you couldn't even use them.

I dont know about the clip part.The wood chip and coat hanger idea(which I have also done)wont fly in the eyes of D.O.T.We are supposed to use the hard placards(plastic?) for the slide in holders.Which Conway never seems to have.The stick back placards are to be stuck direct to the trailer.

I use a piece of clear tape to hold the placard in place. It doesn't bend the holder, and there's usually a roll of tape in most trucks. The stiff placard would be the way to go, but I can hardly ever find any.

[quote author=Douglas link=topic=79246.msg821972#msg821972 date=1271383186]
Hi...yes i'm talking about the flip clips on the placards...I'm working on having the driver give me something in writing ...thanks for the replys...peace and be safe...
[/quote]
And you won't get anything on paper. When drivers talk, it gets blown out of proportion.

I have read placarding requirements before and can not recall anything in that direction. All it states is that placards are to be displayed if required and the spacing. Nothing about how they have to be applied or retained, just that they are displayed. Now, I wouldn't put it past them damn cops to interpret some past law or a newly created law in their own favor to give a driver crap. If the placards are affixed to the trailer and they are not flopping around, I don't think there is anything they can say.

Hi all ...the only thing I can find in the Hazardous Materials compliance pocketbook...as it is read...Placards must be securely attached to the vehicle or placed in a proper placard holder...but they don't mention what a proper placard holder is...

Thank you for all of your responses..peace to all and be safe... Gary DSR

[quote author=Douglas link=topic=79246.msg822599#msg822599 date=1271592094]
Hi all ...the only thing I can find in the Hazardous Materials compliance pocketbook...as it is read...Placards must be securely attached to the vehicle or placed in a proper placard holder...but they don't mention what a proper placard holder is...

Thank you for all of your responses..peace to all and be safe... Gary DSR
[/quote]

With the CSA2010 implementaion coming up, I wouldn't doubt for a minute that a missing clip would be some kind of violation.

I think where they gotcha is in the "securley attached" portion of the rule...if the clip was originally attached and then gets lost...it could be interpreted as a defective holder or flipover.

If they don't say what a proper placard holder is leaves room for interpretation by the inspecting officer.

Kinda like chicken lights...even though the lights working comply to regs...the chicken lights better be working too...if they are there then they must be operable...(or some such nonsense).

I have heard this whole 'clip' thing before...always doubted it was a violation...not so sure anymore.

Rat

when carrying a placarded load, i will always bring a 5th or 6th placard with me if one ever comes off for some reason. As others have mentioned, clear tape worked best to hold in place for me.