Five Years This Weekend

WOW, how time flies. As much as I complained about it when I worked there I still miss the company and the guys I worked with.

I live fairly close to the old Buffalo terminal and what I miss is the horns on the yard horse at night before they hooked to a trailer. You get used to them after a while, like the trains that come through at night.
I started my Teamster career there on the dock a long, long time ago.

Working at CF was a once in a lifetime job for me. Never before and I'm sure never again will I work with a group of men that not only all got along but actually enjoyed hanging out with each other outside of work.

If only I could go back in time.

what do you all think will happen to the name? It is still a registered trademark. Any thought it will be reused? Just thinking out-loud.

5---Year's!!!!!

:1036316054: It ( Consolidated Freigthway's ) was put out to pasture way before it's time.Even though i never worked there i feel for all the folk's that did,CF was the place to work if you wanted to drive for a good company.:3dflagsdotcom_usa_2

con-way will never be consolidated freightways they were given everything with a siver spoon that what the young people there don't understand we gave so much for them to get it all cf people were the best and i miss a lot them to lol and some i don't too

CF is alive and well ! I see there trucks everyday on the road. Only problem is a non-union driver is behind the wheel and the truck says Conway Freight aka CF.

CF and Con-Way

I am not trying to start a debate, but why hasn't the union tried to unionize Con-Way? Maybe it is logistically more difficult because there are different divisions? They are sure trying to get UPS Freight? I don't really know all the history because I am relatively new. I just remeber those crappy cabovers the sleeper drivers drove. Man they looked raggedy.

we did here in knoxville at one time but they the ran from you. they see you and turn there back to you and if they did speak to you tell you they didn't need the union they were happy but con-way took better of them back then they had the cf cow then but that all gone now. as for working for cf back in the 60s/70s/80s/ if you got on there you did something they were very hard company to get on with in the city anyway i seen them run a lot people off never call them back for a days work i think abf is a lot like them today if you go up to con-way site it's like take anyone they can find to get there start and out the door they go. back in cf golden days you stayed. it was darn hard to get on there you stay it was a hard place to work back then any oldtimer will tell you that but i sure to miss it there

Know the feeling -

Working at CF was a once in a lifetime job for me. Never before and I'm sure never again will I work with a group of men that not only all got along but actually enjoyed hanging out with each other outside of work.

If only I could go back in time.

The CF people in Memphis were the greatest - everyone that I met always had good humor going, I remember seeing their rigs coming off the interstate at sunrise when I was headed home from work - some were old rigs, but they told a story of having seen a lot of hard work.

I think we all, at one time or another in our lives, would like to "go back in time" - I sure would.

I started with Overnite in '82. We drove worn out Macks and worked hard (physically). We had fun looked after each other and most of us would always get together after work or on the weekends. That does not happen anymore that I can see. Today the new guys drive nice air ride, ac and powersteering trucks and complain cause the truck got dirty or some one smoked in it. 99% of the freight is palletized no touch. It is all about ME and trying to screw over your co-workers. No one gives a crap what happens to each other. They just say things like " Glad that aint me". The center that I work in today (not big O) is all about watching what you say and wondering who you can trust. I have to say to old days were the best. The only thing we worried about was getting around with that damn duplex Mack with no AC no PS and just lucky to have a heater that would keep up with the air blowing in every crack and crevice during the winter.

I am not trying to start a debate, but why hasn't the union tried to unionize Con-Way? Maybe it is logistically more difficult because there are different divisions? They are sure trying to get UPS Freight? I don't really know all the history because I am relatively new. I just remeber those crappy cabovers the sleeper drivers drove. Man they looked raggedy.
they have tried. Brain washing and no balls.

I was a SCC line driver (Transport Operator) for about 7 years. It was a great job at the time. Now, I'm USF motel truckin.. It's a white paper contract. But it beats the ::shit:: out of those death traps they called sleepers.
I'm glad there gone..

i got on with cf in 77 we had them old city gas burners cabover intn and the green sleeper freightliners they beat you till your bones hurt i never got p/s tractor till the last couple of years and it didn't have air never got that