Florida - Driver dies when he hits truck head-on

ninthstargod

TB Lurker
Credits
SPRING HILL - Kristopher Patterelli watched the driver of the oncoming white car.

The man's eyes were looking right; the car was drifting left.

Patterelli, the passenger in a westbound roofing truck, braced for the collision.

The truck's driver swerved, but no use.

Seconds later, the truck hit the white car head-on, killing the car's elderly driver.

The accident happened about 2 p.m. Wednesday on County Line Road between Mariner Boulevard and Waterfall Drive, a few miles east of U.S. 19.

It left car parts and oil strewn across the street.

The white car, mangled by the impact, managed to tear several wheels off the truck.

The Florida Highway Patrol identified the car's driver as Frederick J. Lynch, 81, of 7371 Lamplighter St. in Spring Hill. The patrol said it was not known why Lynch crossed the center line.

To Krystal Gray, who saw the accident from her car, it looked like the man in the white car was trying to pass when he was struck by the truck.

Witnesses said the truck driver, Robert J. Zenone, 35, of 8191 Big Trail in Weeki Wachee did everything possible to avoid the collision. He declined to talk with a reporter afterward.

"The truck driver said, "I'm done driving. I'll work in the warehouse or nothing. I'm done.' "

her1haxie0124244306015fi.jpg

site link