New Penn | FMLA Mafia

Nevergreen

TB Lurker
Credits
Here at Cranston,RI we now have the FMLA Mafia . These are the guys that delivered pizza before they got their CDL and landed at NP. They don’t come in, come in late , go home before 8 hrs. don’t take breaks and lunch till the end of the day. They are medically sick every Monday & Friday. So to avoid getting disciplined they join the FMLA Team. Now if NP was smart maybe they shouldn’t Drive or operate heavy eguipment with their condition. NP has no balls, they keep them, and other employees get the work or the customer suffers. Overnight service,,,,, right. So Join Today!!!!

Typically, drivers get FMLA for relatives and not themselves because it can interfere with their DOT medical.

There are ways to prove FMLA is fraudulent, but it's not easy and much more difficult if it's for someone else. I've heard of people getting terminated because they put in FMLA and then post pictures of themselves having a good ol' time when they're supposed to be sick or caring for a relative.

In this climate of not being able to find drivers, New Penn can't do anything especially with the wages they offer.

We had 2 guys on FMLA that over 20 plus years they were gone & off work more than they worked and never a thing was done about it !! Just like guys taking 3-4 smoke breaks a hour or the guys that go & sit in the bathroom for hours a day ................

Next contract should have double the call off days. The rest can be planned days off.
They can manage.
11-13 hours every day leaves no time to get anything done.
It's not all about freight.
It's all about money for our lives.
Sometimes we might want to think that we have lives.

I don't want to hear...take night shift or Tuesday thru Saturday either.
5 call off days are not enough.

I'm not saying double the extra paid days.
I'm saying double the extra call off days out of the days we have.
We have 5 sick days which we can call off 2 hours before shift.
Then guys gave a full week which must be taken as such.
Then we have 3 personal days which at our terminal are officially a " must plan ahead" day.
Then we have 5 floating vacation days which must be planned.

In that scenario you could have a guy go thru the whole West Coast Attendance Policy and be terminated...yet still have 8 days in his bank unused because of planning.

We are not management.
We are labor.
Therefore let us call off for 13 of them paid days and let management manage.

Guys can get disciplined for calling off...they lose pay for the day of offense.
Then they lose pay for discipline...and if they repeat...they lose and lose.
And here we sit judging our own.
Reverse the way these are done and let management manage and have the problem....

I mean give 13 call off days.
5 sick
5 floating vacation
3 personals.
That ends disciplines, letters, grievances and guys losing their earned paid days or job.
Get rid of planning days.
Nothing is planned in this whole business...every day is crazy.
Yet we take it on ourselves to force our own selves to plan.
Screw that.
If crazy is good for the company and customers...then it's good for us too.

And if our days could be used like that....there would be no "FMLA Mafia"
And a lot less discipline for taking days off.

2 threads judging other Teamsters.
What did they catch YOU doing?
Or are you running for steward or BA or switching to become management?
You are correct thinking I got caught by management , or running for office. But maybe I didn’t explain my feelings about my so called Brother Teamsters. These are the guys that are always in the office kissing ass, till the office girl says he touched her. They dont take their breaks or lunch, stay out till their trailer is full, then they tell dispatch oh I gotta take my breaks and lunch on the way in. Now they got every minute on OT and breaks on OT and now the Overnight LTL that we are supposed to be , the trailer hits the dock too late to strip, or the load leaves late making the roadman late on the return in the morning with his load , making the drivers hit the road late. And these guys run their balls off with no breaks making it easier for management to cancel or combine runs cause they no they’ll do it. At the end of the day it makes management put up later stating times for junior men who ARE Teamsters and so therefore talking about fellow Teamsters that are not Teamsters so be done to maybe shame them into, going by our work rules, adding jobs and earlier starting times for our families. I was taught by some Great Old Timers and I’m glad I listened almost 40 years later. So these guys effect me and my brothers . TY

You are correct thinking I got caught by management , or running for office. But maybe I didn’t explain my feelings about my so called Brother Teamsters. These are the guys that are always in the office kissing ass, till the office girl says he touched her. They dont take their breaks or lunch, stay out till their trailer is full, then they tell dispatch oh I gotta take my breaks and lunch on the way in. Now they got every minute on OT and breaks on OT and now the Overnight LTL that we are supposed to be , the trailer hits the dock too late to strip, or the load leaves late making the roadman late on the return in the morning with his load , making the drivers hit the road lat
Next day service eroded when YRC forced the use of 53 foot trailers.
Combined with the concessions.
The driver shortage never got better when concessions were pushed.
YRC eroded the system.
Guys did all the stuff you say when New Penn was still New Penn. They ran like Hell. They didn't go by workrules. I never seen guys who worked so hard. And was surprised half of them weren't out injured for life. Although plenty of guys had lifelong injuries which will never go away. I thought they worked like idiots.....but hey....tgats what made them respected and gave more than enough work for everybody. And if you didn't work like them they called you lazy or useless. Plus there was never a shortage of dock or drivers. They always used more than enough guys. Never a bare bones crew because getting things done FAST was priority..not cutting corners with not enough workers.
There were always guys who were tighter with management than they were with the whole labor side.
I even heard that they ASKED for 9 hour bids so they could be guaranteed 45 hours at straight time. God damned morons.
Nothing surprises me around here.
YRC wants the trailers full since day one.
That's why they forced the 53.
Bulk matters more than common sense or taking care of customers.

Last edited:
You are correct thinking I got caught by management , or running for office. But maybe I didn’t explain my feelings about my so called Brother Teamsters. These are the guys that are always in the office kissing ass, till the office girl says he touched her. They dont take their breaks or lunch, stay out till their trailer is full, then they tell dispatch oh I gotta take my breaks and lunch on the way in. Now they got every minute on OT and breaks on OT and now the Overnight LTL that we are supposed to be , the trailer hits the dock too late to strip, or the load leaves late making the roadman late on the return in the morning with his load , making the drivers hit the road late. And these guys run their balls off with no breaks making it easier for management to cancel or combine runs cause they no they’ll do it. At the end of the day it makes management put up later stating times for junior men who ARE Teamsters and so therefore talking about fellow Teamsters that are not Teamsters so be done to maybe shame them into, going by our work rules, adding jobs and earlier starting times for our families. I was taught by some Great Old Timers and I’m glad I listened almost 40 years later. So these guys effect me and my brothers . TY
I don't know why you care if they take all their breaks and lunch on OT. 50 minutes of breaks on the street is 50 minutes of breaks on the street taken early or late.
Unless you don't care if they miss pickups...but then there goes care about next day freight cause it won't get picked up.
There's a driver shortage.
And the late road leave times is because we don't get out in the city till late.
They don't worry about road leave times or they wouldn't have cut our road board and created a UE board where pur road drivers now work the dock at 3 or 4 terminals with the road work.
Instead of road drivers waiting at the dock door hooked up and ready to go they are changing from dock job to road job.

So I take it that you want more than your seniority gets you.
15 years ago our UE guys are doing exactly the same thing they did 15 years ago. Sitting on forklifts in the middle of the night. Except they do it at 2 or 3 terminals and get a little more road work and money.

I've got a really bright idea.
There's a driver shortage so........lets take our road drivers and have them work half their shift on the dock.

Don't hope for anything to make sense.
You're wasting your time.

I don't know why you care if they take all their breaks and lunch on OT. 50 minutes of breaks on the street is 50 minutes of breaks on the street taken early or late.
Unless you don't care if they miss pickups...but then there goes care about next day freight cause it won't get picked up.
There's a driver shortage.
And the late road leave times is because we don't get out in the city till late.
They don't worry about road leave times or they wouldn't have cut our road board and created a UE board where pur road drivers now work the dock at 3 or 4 terminals with the road work.
Instead of road drivers waiting at the dock door hooked up and ready to go they are changing from dock job to road job.

So I take it that you want more than your seniority gets you.
15 years ago our UE guys are doing exactly the same thing they did 15 years ago. Sitting on forklifts in the middle of the night. Except they do it at 2 or 3 terminals and get a little more road work and money.
I’m in the top ten , I don’t need anything with my seniority , just finishing up my time. But it is said what goes on, this is why the union will never grow in the trucking industries . The driver shortage at Yrc companies is because they continue to steal our pay, steal our pension and yes it has affected our Social Security so yes I will never forget. Hence the name Nevergreen. I was a Union Truck Driver when hired and still am, along with others. Yrc Corp are thrives. Wait till Bill Zollars comes out with a book in less than 10 yrs. —- How I Ruined The Teamster Union !!! Wake up

I mean give 13 call off days.
5 sick
5 floating vacation
3 personals.
That ends disciplines, letters, grievances and guys losing their earned paid days or job.
Get rid of planning days.
Nothing is planned in this whole business...every day is crazy.
Yet we take it on ourselves to force our own selves to plan.
Screw that.
If crazy is good for the company and customers...then it's good for us too.
If you got that, you would want more.

So what?
We have a stupid business who allows shabby mediocre management throughput the whole economy. If we stood up there's a possibility of change for the better throughout the economy.
We have an economy who ships on Friday.
They ship at the end of the month.
They ship at the end of the quarter.
No stability or smooth workflow if it wasn't for our dumbassed industry
allowing it.
Friday, they stand at the time click at their 8 hours waiting to go home. One shipper MIGHT stay at a lot of places.
Friday we get our weekends shortened EVERY week. Tired on Saturday.
Used.
Unions boast about getting 40 your work weeks and weekends.
We never get a full weekend.
Never at the clock waiting for our 8 to hit and punch out.
Always cutting 4 to 6 hours off of a 48 hour weekend.

Yet....its just the way it is and God forbid a guy needs time at home without having to plan it. Put more pressure on and fire him
If trucking doubled the rates and considered Friday's, end of month, and end if quarter some kind of premium rate....the rest of the country might have to improve their standards instead of always us. Pay up or we stand at the click on our 8 every Friday....a
Too many dumbasses in this business.
It's all our fault...anything and Friday....and freight sits on your shipping dock.
Trucking is a service business. If you don't provide service to the customer some other company will and you will be able to sit at home without a job and think about that for a long time.

Trucking is a service business. If you don't provide service to the customer some other company will and you will be able to sit at home without a job and think about that for a long time.
Only because we think that way. Plenty of service industries have set hours and primo rates for extra hours and close at 5pm M-F.
There's a driver shortage. If ya don't do it now you'll never do it. And if conditions remain with your mentality the shortage will remain. Doing everything all them years and losing pensions and all...doesnt attract drivers. Nobody wants it just to get screwed when your old.

Things change....the standard thinking which worked to suppress labor should change...post Obama.
Trump should have opened eyes to seeing that the bullshit didn't really work. It was destroying more than it helped.

Only because we think that way. Plenty of service industries have set hours and primo rates for extra hours and close at 5pm M-F.
There's a driver shortage. If ya don't do it now you'll never do it. And if conditions remain with your mentality the shortage will remain. Doing everything all them years and losing pensions and all...doesnt attract drivers. Nobody wants it just to get screwed when your old.
UPS used to be a five day only operation back when I worked for them in the early 1970's. They are customer/service oriented and that's why they operate seven days a week in today's "need it now" environment. Your mentality would bankrupt a company you owned. Wake up, it's not the 1950's anymore. I'm a good deal older than you and I understand that.

An old guy used to tell me about 15 years ago...he just didn't understand it.....
Why do union guys yell for more hours and less pay all the time?
More hours!
Less pay!
More hours!
Less pay!
More hours!
Less pay!!!!

Economy is a give and take thing.
Not just give and not just take.

Drivers only want to give.
Never take.

No wonder nobody wants to be one.

Change the mentality and we might not have to do it alk for nothing one day.
Maybe one day we actually get nothing.
The sharks at the top see us give in to these dumb ideas....and even if you give 90%....they demand another 15%.
More than 100%.
Because we give it.
I hate to say it Slave but you use more words to say nothing than most anyone I know.