FedEx Freight | Fmla Tid Bit

Citori_cx

TB Lurker
Credits
Just thought I would share this as It is something i never knew. Plus this forum needs any new thread as its God awful dead!!
Anyway, if you go out on disability that counts against your 480 hours of allowed fmla a year. A friend of mine just got denied recently based on this. He was out August to March for surgery on his back. He just got hospitalized for 4 days recently and didn't want to burn what time he had left to excuse it. He therefore filed fmla on himself. He was denied by HR claiming he extinguished his 480 hours from August- Nov. Even though he was on disability it still counts as fmla leave even though the driver never filed for it.

Get a lawyer company can't have it both ways, If he didn't file for fmla the company can't say he was on it, and if they try ask them for the doctor's paperwork for the so called fmla.
He said he contacted his attorney and they said the company can do that. They are however supposed to send you a certified letter informing you. The attorney told him had it resulted in him being terminated he would certainly have a case as they never sent him any certified notification.

I thought FMLA and short/long term disability were the same thing. What's the difference?

When I had to take about a three week medical leave for an off the clock injury the only issue with the time frame I saw was that after a certain point I would have to switch over to COBRA for insurance.

I know there's also a leave of absence option (I think it topped off at one month). In my case I didn't want to get insurance involved because it was kind of a grey area and I figured it could be resolved relatively quickly anyhow. My attendance record wasn't affected, but I also didn't receive any compensation for the time I was off. I'm pretty sure a regional HR person handled the request even though we have an HR guy at our terminal.

I thought FMLA and short/long term disability were the same thing. What's the difference?

When I had to take about a three week medical leave for an off the clock injury the only issue with the time frame I saw was that after a certain point I would have to switch over to COBRA for insurance.

I know there's also a leave of absence option (I think it topped off at one month). In my case I didn't want to get insurance involved because it was kind of a grey area and I figured it could be resolved relatively quickly anyhow. My attendance record wasn't affected, but I also didn't receive any compensation for the time I was off. I'm pretty sure a regional HR person handled the request even though we have an HR guy at our terminal.
You are correct...if you are out on disability you are automatically burning your 480 hours of allowed fmla time. I had no idea that was the case.

You are correct...if you are out on disability you are automatically burning your 480 hours of allowed to fmla time. I had no idea that was the case.
FDX offers RAR (reasonable accommodation request) was off for multiple surgeries and treatments. When I got back to work I was told that RAR was available because I used up my FMLA.

On a somewhat related note I recently learned that the new policy for light duty is to come in for only two hours but get compensated for an entire day. I didn't hear any explanations for this change, but definitely surprising imo.

On a somewhat related note I recently learned that the new policy for light duty is to come in for only two hours but get compensated for an entire day. I didn't hear any explanations for this change, but definitely surprising imo.
On another "related note", I always wondered how we square the fact that we ALWAYS have light duty for those with work related injuries, but not for those injured on their own time. I get it from the cost financial side, but how can that be justified from a legal, ethical, or moral standpoint? :idunno: