Food Service Drivers at work

Bad pizza to me is when the dough is old, I worked in pizza in my years before the military, some places will use day old to save money and it is awful, I love Simple Simons pizza, nothing fancy but its good, last one I got the dough had to be day old and the yeast died or didn't do its job to begin with and it was so bad I couldn't eat it.

My dream has always been to own and operate a pizza joint, not a big one, just a modest place that puts out an exceptional product that keeps folks coming back.

Here in Cleveland I look from time to time and if you time it just right there are pick up and delivery pizza joints that go up for sale and are not as expensive to purchase as you might think. Usually the owners want out pretty quick. Now obviously your left negotiating the lease on the space and have to put some money on the line as far as that goes and that's usually where it starts getting scary.

There is a place that I go to and the owner told me he doesn't spend a whole lot of money on fluff like having a bar and waitresses and all that other stuff, he said he likes to take the money the pizza shop makes and put it back into the food and it's worked very well for them, there pizza is probably in my opinion the best in town here in Cleveland and I actually think they are a customer of Sysco Cleveland, to boot, but there product is always fresh never doughey cooked to perfection.

When pizza dough gets old at least where I worked, it got hard and crusty and would not want to conform very well to any pan or anything and would rip or tear and it would cook okay, but it would brown kind of weird and the dough wouldn't want to rise like it should.

Really the place I worked at had a lot of other stuff on the menu and while pizza was the core product as time went on the sandwiches, pasta , salad and all the other items ended up really taking over.

If I were to have a pizza shop I would pretty much want a small pick up and delivery only place, and I would have a salad table, a make table, a fryer maybe a grill and a rotator pizza oven like a Bolling pizza pro. All the really good places here in Cleveland have Bolling pizza pro's. They give the pizza a really nice bake and as long as the pizza isn't in the oven to long it comes out all nice and crisp, but not over done.

Good info Mike!! We have a place here called Mary Janes, they are open from like 2345 to 0445, something like that, they have kinda a cult following, they deliver and carry out, very good pizza, Dianna and I go on the weekends sometimes when we are up, its really fun, the owners and workers love to talk and are the best, plus I think everyone is high, its neat to watch them, I really enjoy going there, we always pick it up, just for the conversation and experience.

Good info Mike!! We have a place here called Mary Janes, they are open from like 2345 to 0445, something like that, they have kinda a cult following, they deliver and carry out, very good pizza, Dianna and I go on the weekends sometimes when we are up, its really fun, the owners and workers love to talk and are the best, plus I think everyone is high, its neat to watch them, I really enjoy going there, we always pick it up, just for the conversation and experience.

Ha-ha when I worked in pizza there was no shortage of people who worked there being high or drunk, although usually they reserved that activity for after work,a lot of hung over employees on Sunday morning :p

I see Mary Janes also has candy bars, brownies and a location in Denver, how fitting :dance:

I go to a place in Cleveland called Dante's Westpark it's really really good. It's been in business since the late 1950's.

What's funny is today I stopped into the pizza shop I used to work at and I was talking to my old boss and another manager and I guess the beer company that I start at on Monday actually called the pizza shop and asked for a reference.

Really being in the hospitality business is a true people business. There are some places that have small little customer bases and they make it through and then there are local places that are very popular and have lots of people and the key to success in the restaurant industry besides having a solid product and good service is also community involvement. The pizza shop I used to work at was always involved in any major community event, they also have a great location. That's another thing location, location, location.

Here's the thing if any of you guys ever get into the pizza business or light commercial/house hold services business. If you own a pizza shop you want to be visible and you want to be in the community, that means sponsoring little league teams, donating food to school events like sports teams or clubs that have events. Dropping off pizza's at the fire station, we did that where I worked, we would randomly drop off food at the fire station or police station. Also making a bunch of small pizza's or medium pizza's and just huffing it on foot go from shop to shop, place to place and pass out pizza's. We had a girl who worked where I worked and she would walk up and down the main road passing out menu's. Or some of the delivery drivers would grab some bread sticks and pass those out with some menus to any of the local business around office buildings, doctors offices, the state liquor store, it did not matter we would pass out menus and samples to anyone. The place I worked also had a table or stand at any kind of community festival that there was and the more people that come in the more they remember you and then they use you for other things.

Really a big thing that fuels the restaurant industry is pharmaceutical drug sales reps. Everyday, where I worked in the morning we had big catering orders that needed to go to the Cleveland Clinic or one of there hospitals and they were always drug reps who were giving presentations at the hospital to doctors and nurses. The medical community was a huge consumer of pizza and catered food, one time we supplied a whole hospital all day long with pizza because the Cleveland Clinic was sending there people there for training it was like a $10,000 order. It was all day long we were trucking pizza's to the hospital. Sysco Cleveland cried when we switched suppliers. Really you can do a lot with pizza lots of avenues and opportunities it's all about being creative and working very hard.

Mike I used to order high gluten flour to make my own pizza, bout the only place I ever found it was out of a place like Sysco, Dianna is allergic to gluten so I have had to explore alternatives, I want her to be able to enjoy it too, other than that, no, at Tankersley I used to buy a case of school pizza from time to time, my little kids loved the stuff, to tell you the truth I did too, and I'm a bit of a pizza snob.

My ex-Son in Law drives for Bake Mark and he used to get all kinds of goodies. Pizza snob? Not at all! You just cannot tolerate an inferior Pizza and if the crust isn't right it doesn't matter what you pile on top of it. It is like building a house on a cheap foundation...

We are seeing Talimook Ice Cream at the WinCo stores we are hauling to. I guess I am gonna have to try it, I am an Ice Cream snob. Too many years in the dairy business I guess, can't stand certain brands of milk either. Damn Farm Fresh and Vandervoorts! And me for giving into a high quality product. Vandervoorts once said that they were going to stop making Ice Cream....I wept openly until the churn began turning that high fat content substance.