FedEx Freight | ? for indy drivers

damn im ijust asking simply ? drivers are asking me things they have heard and im just trying to get answers to keep bad rumors down,and to give some of my buddies a litle light to follow in this tranfer it's just suppose to be a freindly blog as though i thought,sorry if it came off quante.my ? was simply conversastion not bad intent.

? I've looked at the indy yard as a drive by,noticed that there is'nt a lot of room in front of dock were tractors are parked,do we hook set there if rear tral. is at that side.?2 do we have to spot trals. at dock or just break leave rear in drop place and put dolly and leed away.?3 what do they pay per hook and milage I have heard we get a little less per mile at natl. but more on hourly and hook (not sure).?4 can you get back earily than your scheldle time back,as long as you don't log illegal.

? I've looked at the indy yard as a drive by,noticed that there is'nt a lot of room in front of dock were tractors are parked,do we hook set there if rear tral. is at that side.?2 do we have to spot trals. at dock or just break leave rear in drop place and put dolly and leed away.?3 what do they pay per hook and milage I have heard we get a little less per mile at natl. but more on hourly and hook (not sure).?4 can you get back earily than your scheldle time back,as long as you don't log illegal.

Yes, If your rear is in the dock on the front side, you have to hook it there, unless your trlrs are in the yard. There is more room than it looks like. When you get there,you drop your rear trlr in the drop out area, drop your Dollie, and put both trlrs to the dock, unless they tell you to put one or both trlrs in the yard. You get paid .5 to assemble a set and .5 to break a set. It shows on your dispatch how much time they give you to get to your destination with a 15 min break included. We usually try not to run it faster than that time minus the 15 min break. You can leave on your showtime if your trlrs are ready.

We have a good yard layout probably the best I've seen. You can find out what they want to do with your trailers all by radio. Inbound,main dock stand and dispatch have cb's. Just be patient they can't always answer right away but will answer you. If you put a trailer in the yard when you get back everything is a pull through. Spot is determined by the last number on trailer. There's tons of room up front. If you have a parking spot you dump your dolly everyday or park out back and keep your dolly. 15 min to fuel, 15 min tractor only, 30 min hook, 30 min drop. Our dispatch sheets have the run times I've gotten back early big time when Ohio and Illinois were 55 at that time if you logged it like you ran it you were fine if you lied you were in trouble. Now I have a family and need my job so I run it as it says to. I rarely leave on my show because I don't want to be away from my family more than I have to be. Also depends on who runs in front of me or behind me as to when I'll leave, sometimes I like to run by myself. Just make your gate and if you can't let dispatch know why. Don't forget to log shop delay on logs you get paid also call central if it's going to be a while.

We have a good yard layout probably the best I've seen. You can find out what they want to do with your trailers all by radio. Inbound,main dock stand and dispatch have cb's. Just be patient they can't always answer right away but will answer you. If you put a trailer in the yard when you get back everything is a pull through. Spot is determined by the last number on trailer. There's tons of room up front. If you have a parking spot you dump your dolly everyday or park out back and keep your dolly. 15 min to fuel, 15 min tractor only, 30 min hook, 30 min drop. Our dispatch sheets have the run times I've gotten back early big time when Ohio and Illinois were 55 at that time if you logged it like you ran it you were fine if you lied you were in trouble. Now I have a family and need my job so I run it as it says to. I rarely leave on my show because I don't want to be away from my family more than I have to be. Also depends on who runs in front of me or behind me as to when I'll leave, sometimes I like to run by myself. Just make your gate and if you can't let dispatch know why. Don't forget to log shop delay on logs you get paid also call central if it's going to be a while.

Do you get a tractor only at the switch point? 15 min pay is what I'm asking to switch out trailers with meet man.

Thanks Dawg. Seems you guys get 45min pay for things we do for free a day over here.

On a normal day run you will get 1.5 hourly pay plus your mileage. If you run to a hub, you get .5 to hook, .5 to break at hub, work the dock, .5 to hook and .75 for break and fuel back at your center.

Last edited by a moderator:
On a normal day run you will get 1.5 hourly pay plus your mileage. If you run to a hub, you get .5 to hook, .5 to break at hub, work the dock, .5 to hook and .75 for break and fuel back at your center.

Is it true if you do not work the dock,you get.50 to perform both the drop and hook? Thats what they told us at the last meeting. Just double checking. thanks!!!!

Is it true if you do not work the dock,you get.50 to perform both the drop and hook? Thats what they told us at the last meeting. Just double checking. thanks!!!!

No, not if you just drop and hook, if you show a drop and a 30 min lunch and then hook, you get .5 for drop and .5 for hook. If you go into a center and drop your trlrs and hook two and go it's a drop and hook, only .5 pay.

On our logs below the graph to log your time, there is a place for tractor, trailers and Dollie #s.
Below that is a place to put work performed. You put the ABBR. for the center your at and in comp. code box you put work performed not on the clock.
Comp codes
DH=Drop/hook=.5
D=Drop=.5
H=Hook=.5
FL=Fuel=.25
PD=Pickup/Delivery
DL=Delay
TC=Tractor change=.25
TO=Tractor only=.25
O=Other
It's all pretty self-explanatory, but you have to write whatever code you perform down to get paid.
Hope this helps.

No, not if you just drop and hook, if you show a drop and a 30 min lunch and then hook, you get .5 for drop and .5 for hook. If you go into a center and drop your trlrs and hook two and go it's a drop and hook, only .5 pay.

On our logs below the graph to log your time, there is a place for tractor, trailers and Dollie #s.
Below that is a place to put work performed. You put the ABBR. for the center your at and in comp. code box you put work performed not on the clock.
Comp codes
DH=Drop/hook=.5
D=Drop=.5
H=Hook=.5
FL=Fuel=.25
PD=Pickup/Delivery
DL=Delay
TC=Tractor change=.25
TO=Tractor only=.25
O=Other
It's all pretty self-explanatory, but you have to write whatever code you perform down to get paid.
Hope this helps.

Very good explination! Thank you.

just found out we at cincy are to be dock qualified by the time we get to are new locations or shortly after we get there,most of us coming up to indy(8 of us) are senior and they are in no hurry to get us qualified,just wondering if all freight drivers are dock qualified. if you do work the dock extra is it streight time or 1.5 over 10 hrs.is the pay for dock 22.05 as for any other time payed or less.I am hearing that some of the guys here are going to have to do a 2 week dock training program.(those who are most likely going to have dock combo runs) others won't have to get so much training time.do y'all no any different.

All drivers are dock certified even our 74 year old driver. I don't think I've heard of road drivers getting overtime simply because it goes by clock time not miles. Overtime is time and one half after 8 hours on the Kronos clock. Dock rate is 22.05. For drivers that don't work the dock during their run they have you get certified still in the event you have to go into a dark terminal to fix something on your trailer you can at least act like you know what your doing. Just being funny with the last sentence no disrespect.

more ?'s say I leave at 9:00 drive 285 going west.1st? can it be logged 4hrs.15min driving or does freight have an average speed like nationals 62mph,now that i've got to my switch and have logged my 1/2 hr.lunch and 1/4hr.switch and get back 4hrs.15min. 9.25 total,arrive back at 6:15.thats 67mph.I can't remember but I think most of that run is 70mph. is this within freight rules.2nd.do most of you leave cb and other stuff in trucks or take it out after each run.3rd do any of you do outside company activities like golf,bowling,poker ect.4th do they object if you leave early to beat the weather.5th can you get there earlier than your show time and leave on your show time and get back that much earlier.

Log it as you did it, if not when you get caught your fired. Some people leave their stuff in the tractor. I get along with my slipseater so he uses my radio. I also leave my satellite radio in there. We work with each other to keep the truck cleaned. If he is off I typically pull my radio when he is off and if I'm off I ask him to pull it when done. I've had to many city guys get in and play with the shiny knobs. A lot of us do things outside of work with each other. Earliest you can leave is your show time. You have to get permission to leave early.

so if speed limit is 70 I can log it 67 with no fx.violation,even though I'm back before my schedule arrival.check pm

so if speed limit is 70 I can log it 67 with no fx.violation,even though I'm back before my schedule arrival.check pm

When you get your dispatch sheet, your run time is on there. If your run is 4 hours with a 15 minute break figured into your run, you can run it in 4 hours. The mileage and the run time is on there, you can run it however you want to, I just wouldn't run it any faster than the time they have figured for the run. You can slide by once in a while running it 15 or 30 minutes faster than the time on the sheet, but I wouldn't do it very often. That is totally up to each individual driver???

Whatever your gate time is printed on your sheet, you can leave 30 minutes before your gate time, or your show time. We have had guys get there hand slapped before for leaving 3 minutes before there show time.

The biggest thing I have found and been told. Log it as you did it. Even if your speeding. If your honest typically they won't say anything but if they catch you lying then your in trouble. The way our trucks are set up its hard to run a run to fast. Typically the most you'll get is 15 min and that's your break that you didn't stop and take.

When you get your dispatch sheet, your run time is on there. If your run is 4 hours with a 15 minute break figured into your run, you can run it in 4 hours. The mileage and the run time is on there, you can run it however you want to, I just wouldn't run it any faster than the time they have figured for the run. You can slide by once in a while running it 15 or 30 minutes faster than the time on the sheet, but I wouldn't do it very often. That is totally up to each individual driver???

Whatever your gate time is printed on your sheet, you can leave 30 minutes before your gate time, or your show time. We have had guys get there hand slapped before for leaving 3 minutes before there show time.
ok now what is the run time speedlimit,my run at national is 57mph.I don't think I will ever beat the run time very often(but the info is good to know)itt.s the 1/2 hour lunch,1/4switch,1/4drop that might come into play.these ?,s are because national does it a little different.