FedEx Freight | ? for indy drivers

The biggest thing I have found and been told. Log it as you did it. Even if your speeding. If your honest typically they won't say anything but if they catch you lying then your in trouble. The way our trucks are set up its hard to run a run to fast. Typically the most you'll get is 15 min and that's your break that you didn't stop and take.
got ya! At natl. we have kiosh to dipatch us not a gate clock,by the time you get back out to your truck and get your log set and seatbelt on then checked out by guard at gate you have burnt up a good 20mins.that takes care of are ahead of schedule run time.

ok now what is the run time speedlimit,my run at national is 57mph.I don't think I will ever beat the run time very often(but the info is good to know)itt.s the 1/2 hour lunch,1/4switch,1/4drop that might come into play.these ?,s are because national does it a little different.

I have never really checked the run time speed limit, I just run the run the way it's printed on your dispatch sheet minus 30 minutes for your two 15 minute breaks, have never had a problem yet? You can take your breaks and a lunch if you choose to, I myself never do, I just run it as fast as they allow, I like my home time!

So there is no speed limit on your log book? There is at National,62.1 mph or more will get you a write up,A rule that is a extension of Watkins. They don't seem to care how fast you run your run just don't log over 62 mph and your fine.So I guess what I'm asking if you log your mileage at the top of your log book and the mileage vs hours driven comes to 64mph you will be fine as for as Freight is concerned.

So there is no speed limit on your log book? There is at National,62.1 mph or more will get you a write up,A rule that is a extension of Watkins. They don't seem to care how fast you run your run just don't log over 62 mph and your fine.So I guess what I'm asking if you log your mileage at the top of your log book and the mileage vs hours driven comes to 64mph you will be fine as for as Freight is concerned.

It tells you on your dispatch sheet the run times of the run you are running. It shows a 15 min break on each leg of your run. You can take a break if you choose to. I just run whatever the run time is minus the two 15 min breaks. We have gate readers at the gates coming in and out of the centers. When you drive through the gate, it puts the time you gate into the computer, same thing on your return, just don't gate early leaving on your run or returning from your run and there won't be any problems?

My tractor runs about 65 mph, and I run flat foot unless in a speed zone. I log the time the radio on the dash shows when I change a duty status, using the 7 min and 29 second window.
We don't have to stop or flag a tire check, some drivers run and never open the door.
Anything else is false.
Log what you do!

rodedawg
I have been told both ways on the run time ... who knows ... break built in that time ... and break plus the shown run time
so.. if needed I use (sleeping break) breaks extra from shown run time.

It tells you on your dispatch sheet the run times of the run you are running. It shows a 15 min break on each leg of your run. You can take a break if you choose to. I just run whatever the run time is minus the two 15 min breaks. We have gate readers at the gates coming in and out of the centers. When you drive through the gate, it puts the time you gate into the computer, same thing on your return, just don't gate early leaving on your run or returning from your run and there won't be any problems?
The question was log book not what a trip sheet says. Our trip sheets have run times on them too. The QUESTION is will there be a log book violation and write up if I log over 62 mph. We are written up for that at National. And Dawg are you a National or Freight driver because We need this answered from a Freight driver.

The question was log book not what a trip sheet says. Our trip sheets have run times on them too. The QUESTION is will there be a log book violation and write up if I log over 62 mph. We are written up for that at National. And Dawg are you a National or Freight driver because We need this answered from a Freight driver.

I would say if you log over 62 MPH on your logbook, yes, there will probably be a write up. I am a freight driver. Our log books have nothing on them about speed or MPH. They print on our trip sheets how fast and how much time it will take to run the run. I have always went by the trip sheet, they printed the run time on there, so it must be legal?. In over 16 years with AF and then Fedex, I have never been questioned on a log. What ever time is printed on the trip sheet, that's what goes on my logbook unless there is a breakdown or some other hold up. Everybody I work with does it that way. If the run calls for 9 hours and you want to run it in 8, I would say you're on your own, they might catch it, they might not???

Last edited by a moderator:
rodedawg
I have been told both ways on the run time ... who knows ... break built in that time ... and break plus the shown run time
so.. if needed I use (sleeping break) breaks extra from shown run time.

On our trip sheets, it shows breaks:00:15, total run time 003:22 for example. If you get a good head start i stop for a 15 or 20 minute nap and never show it on my log.

Over at National lets say you ran 640 miles in 10hrs, that be avg 64 per hr, this would be a log violation. I never log anymore than 600 miles in 10hrs, avg 60mph.

they really that anal over there? I get 0230 and do it in about 0205, unless I stop for fuel which could add another 15-20 minutes depending how busy it is.

No logging, no questioning, and if you happen to run later than 0230 you need to have it coded in the computer for a reason, such as traffic or weather.

Each center/region at freight is a little different, mostly due to how sharp a safety man you have. Bottom line at freight is: If the computer says it will take you 4 hours to run each leg of your run (computer takes into account each state's speed limit), and you log it that you did it in 3.5 hours, you were speeding. Safety guy may pull you aside and quiz you as to your heavy foot, or he may just hop in his car (because heaven knows he has plenty of "do nothing" time), follow you on your run, and bust you on the spot.
I know home time is important to everyone, but why jeopardize a 75-100 thousand a year job, for an extra half an hour at home. Use that half hour at a rest stop and take a bathroom break, and you won't have to do that at home, thus getting that half hour back. LOL

I have a run that the run time is printed at run time 5:07 and break :15 min. If I observe all posted speed limits to the letter it takes me exactly 5 hours and 7 minutes to run 1 leg. It can't be done any quicker (legally). It is not always possible to do this. So, I do what i can and log it like I run it. The printed run time is the actual driving time that it takes (legally) to complete a leg of the run.

I may be mistaken but I believe the run I have bidded on is 4hrs 50mins to run 285 miles at the speed limit it will only take 41/2 hrs maybe 4hrs 35 mins.so what I am finding out from all the different answers is that I may have to stop for 1 1/2 hr. or may not.driving less than the speed limit is going to take a lot of prac. Not trying to cheat or do anything wrong,but can't understand why so many different answers for such a generic ? speed limit or trip sheet time.could be me not understanding the freight lingo.is it a must to take a lunch? I can see being late on your return gate time being a problem but being early on your return gate time seems like it should'nt be an issue. we all know your can't hardly beat the speed limit.besides is'nt the object to get the freight there and back as quick and safe as you can.

Run it like you stole it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If they don't like it they will let you know. I mean your other co-workers will rat you out faster than fedex would ever catch it... Sad but true..

I may be mistaken but I believe the run I have bidded on is 4hrs 50mins to run 285 miles at the speed limit it will only take 41/2 hrs maybe 4hrs 35 mins.so what I am finding out from all the different answers is that I may have to stop for 1 1/2 hr. or may not.driving less than the speed limit is going to take a lot of prac. Not trying to cheat or do anything wrong,but can't understand why so many different answers for such a generic ? speed limit or trip sheet time.could be me not understanding the freight lingo.is it a must to take a lunch? I can see being late on your return gate time being a problem but being early on your return gate time seems like it should'nt be an issue. we all know your can't hardly beat the speed limit.besides is'nt the object to get the freight there and back as quick and safe as you can.

Almost all of our runs are based on the speed limit minus the 15 min break on each leg of the run. You will find out if you run flat out, you will be ok. If you are going to be early getting back, just stop somewhere and kill some time, it's really not as difficult as you're making it out to be. We do it everyday and have no problems.

Don't forget that when you get here too, that vacation weeks are assigned to the run

Are you serious?

They don't like when you get back early? Thats kind of messed up. There are so many variables out on the road. Not too mention the speedometers can be quite a ways off. I drove a truck that was 4mph fast.