FedEx Freight | For What its Worth, Again.

redracer3368

TB Lurker
Credits
:clap: I miss the good ole days of trucking to the Mudhole (Memphis) with all my trucker buddies and us talking to each other and truckers going the other way. We had bad weather come through Galloway exit 161 last night and they shut down I-40 going west towards the Rock due to debris in the road. I hollered at no less than 10 drivers going the other way and never got any response, of course the roads were all flooded at Memphis this morning and I hollered at another 8 or 10 drivers and never got a response. To many cell phones and XM Radio I guess but if you had answered your radio I might have saved you some time to go around the trouble instead of having to waste your time sitting either in flood waters or some long line of traffic that you don't know why is stopped because you haven't bothered to even turn your radio on!

Why didn't you call them on their cell phones ?

Just kidding. It is getting bad anymore which is why I am encouraging others to go the ham radio route.

Just a reflection of the times I guess. I remember always blinking lights at other AF drivers at night on the way to Dallas down Hwy 69 but it's just not that way anymore.

The radios a bit tougher I guess, so many people run 80 below during the day, others stick with ch4 and the ex-Viking guys I have no idea what they usually run.

roog

[quote author=Waffleman link=topic=79744.msg826306#msg826306 date=1272765711]
Why didn't you call them on their cell phones ?

Just kidding. It is getting bad anymore which is why I am encouraging others to go the ham radio route.
[/quote]

Well, Waffle, I can't multi-task like you. I can't listen to Ham and CB at the same time because of the "Billy" big rig drivers talking. Neither radio would have helped Friday with that tanker explosion on 77 since the Ham operators were in bed and the "new breed" drivers couldn't make up their minds where, how far the back is and which lane was open.

popasmurf

I remember the days of regular 4 and the blinking lights .. and new who would be next and where we would meet ... roogie ... maybe I flashed you way back when on 69 :kicking:

here is a thought ... we get paid real dollars from time of phone call on shut down roads .... thats better than working the dock money ..... hmmmmmmmm....

Radio whats that mine is in my trunk. Don't even put it in tried it and no one talks so it's a waste of time but we slip seat in my barn. Old Viking drivers ran 33 at least on the left coast. :shift:

[quote author=kwikie link=topic=79744.msg826606#msg826606 date=1272852143]
Radio whats that mine is in my trunk. Don't even put it in tried it and no one talks so it's a waste of time but we slip seat in my barn. Old Viking drivers ran 33 at least on the left coast. :shift:
[/quote]
Only those old LA Basin Vikings ran 33, otherwise known as East Bay. The rest of us ran 2. Who's that in the Sailboat?

[quote author=hairbear link=topic=79744.msg826923#msg826923 date=1272987843]
[quote author=kwikie link=topic=79744.msg826606#msg826606 date=1272852143]
[/quote]
Only those old LA Basin Vikings ran 33, otherwise known as East Bay. The rest of us ran 2. Who's that in the Sailboat?
[/quote] Well I guess you caught me then old LA basin driver here. :shift:

It used to be a lot of fun running with all of the Old Viking guys back in the day. Not sure where they have all gone now, all of your trucks look alike. Bought my first radio from Nickles & Dimes (Fontana?) Watched Big Casey (LA Basin somewhere) high tail it out of Panoche Road because the "Panoche Ghost" shook his truck and woke him up. Dirty Bird, Caveman, & Yukon John (Ten-Fuurr) out of Sac. Lee D. and Critter out of Portland. All were a blast to run with and spend time with after work. Ahhh the good "ol Days.

Dirty Bird went out with a bad back, Caveman is still here doing Kettleman or Avenal turns, think I know who Yukon John was, he pointed out a long time ago (attendance points). Critter is still around but getting ready to pull the plug.

I can give you one reason why alot of us do not run radios`.Its because some of these guys out here that are JUST WAITING too hear a senior guy say something,either politically uncorrect or something that is not inline with their point of view.Then they call in and the fun begins.It doesnt matter what you do ,someone is doing anything they can too get you in trouble.Thats why I dont run one.Plus the rumor mill is SOOOOOOOOOO hugh out there that by the time you say something,just talking generally,the next day its carved in stone and they heard it from you .