ABF | Forced To The Street After 8 Hours On The Dock.

Flat Stick

TB Lurker
Credits
At 050, the lower half of our Midnight dock shift is forced to the street after 8 hours on the dock. These aren’t always drop and hook runs. Some are peddles and long distant U-Packs. This was going on before Covid 19. Does this happen at other terminals?

At 050, the lower half of our Midnight dock shift is forced to the street after 8 hours on the dock. These aren’t always drop and hook runs. Some are peddles and long distant U-Packs. This was going on before Covid 19. Does this happen at other terminals?
You don’t have to go out. By the contract they have to tell you before your 6th hour if their is over time, and they can’t use abandonment rule because most people are starting at that time. And you can always use the “I’m tired & don’t feel safe on the street”

You don’t have to go out. By the contract they have to tell you before your 6th hour if their is over time, and they can’t use abandonment rule because most people are starting at that time. And you can always use the “I’m tired & don’t feel safe on the street”

At our Local they only have to notify us before the 7th hour. They do that. This issue has been brought up several times to our Local officials and they can’t seem to get it stopped. We have 13 people currently on lay-off. But, like I said, it was going on before the layoffs.

I imagine it does. I ran a UE route and 3 or 4 days a week they’d send me out on some deliveries (U-Packs or LTL)...that’s AFTER I had put in 10+ hours already!

The ‘Excessive Overtime’ language is in the contract to minimize this very thing. Granted, on some mornings I didn’t mind going out. Most mornings, I was just ready to go home!

Make sure there is an Excessive Overtime sheet right next to the time clock. Sign it, and put it in the supervisors box to make sure he sees it. 10 hours is the limit if you sign it. As far as you going out on a route at 8 hours and you end up working over 10 hours on a regular basis, that’s abuse of overtime (because it’s happening frequently), and you can file a grievance. First and foremost, get that sheet posted near the timeclock and sign it daily...get your co-workers to sign it too (unless they don’t mind going out). Good luck brother! Keep us posted, as this sounds like a continual violation of contract language.

I imagine it does. I ran a UE route and 3 or 4 days a week they’d send me out on some deliveries (U-Packs or LTL)...that’s AFTER I had put in 10+ hours already!

The ‘Excessive Overtime’ language is in the contract to minimize this very thing. Granted, on some mornings I didn’t mind going out. Most mornings, I was just ready to go home!

Make sure there is an Excessive Overtime sheet right next to the time clock. Sign it, and put it in the supervisors box to make sure he sees it. 10 hours is the limit if you sign it. As far as you going out on a route at 8 hours and you end up working over 10 hours on a regular basis, that’s abuse of overtime (because it’s happening frequently), and you can file a grievance. First and foremost, get that sheet posted near the timeclock and sign it daily...get your co-workers to sign it too (unless they don’t mind going out). Good luck brother! Keep us posted, as this sounds like a continual violation of contract language.

What he said! Use the overtime language,...and file grievances if the company "consistently' forces unwanted overtime after 10 hours.
Especially in this time of exposure to a Pandemic virus! That, right there,...should be the main reason not to force guys onto overtime.......

Unfortunately our Local President does not enforce any of the overtime provisions. One of our drivers had a ROCK solid case with Article numbers, paragraph lines etc. to go to a grievance hearing on the forced overtime. He had to argue with the company AND the Union and was told by the union "if you don't like it take it to committee, it won't change"
What do you do in such a position? I know file with the International, file charges, etc. But in reality that will do nothing to people who have been in charge for so long.

Quit paying dues some have said. Well once you drop below 50% paying dues, the union can decertify us! It happened to another company here in Indy (non trucking). Local 135 dropped the company.

In the contract the final two shifts can be used as a close out shift.... basically forced 14 hrs. Our President has said EVRYDAY is a close out day. Even though we don't close overnight except on Friday.....Management loves it

Morale is horrible and a manager was overheard saying "Your paid... I could careless about your morale"

Our "score" on the survey was incredibly bad and the TM blamed it on us moving.

They have laid off too many drivers here we miss multiple p/u everyday but that can be "hidden" in the numbers so no one cares

Sorry to rant but NO one here seems to know what to do.

Wow. Protections against excessive overtime. Imagine that.

As a road driver, you'd be given a 550-mile day with 4 vias, and then "other drivers do it all the time!" if you questioned it. Lol

Unfortunately our Local President does not enforce any of the overtime provisions. One of our drivers had a ROCK solid case with Article numbers, paragraph lines etc. to go to a grievance hearing on the forced overtime. He had to argue with the company AND the Union and was told by the union "if you don't like it take it to committee, it won't change"
What do you do in such a position? I know file with the International, file charges, etc. But in reality that will do nothing to people who have been in charge for so long.

Quit paying dues some have said. Well once you drop below 50% paying dues, the union can decertify us! It happened to another company here in Indy (non trucking). Local 135 dropped the company.

In the contract the final two shifts can be used as a close out shift.... basically forced 14 hrs. Our President has said EVRYDAY is a close out day. Even though we don't close overnight except on Friday.....Management loves it

Morale is horrible and a manager was overheard saying "Your paid... I could careless about your morale"

They have laid off too many drivers here we miss multiple p/u everyday but that can be "hidden" in the numbers so no one cares

The best Union Steward 050 ever had resigned after 8 years as our Steward because he could not get the Halls help when we had the company dead to rights. If you don't have the Hall behind you, it is like whipping a dead horse. Unless it is about Safety, or you have a strong case of State or Federal Law violations, forget it. Work rule enforcement is a joke. I retired 4 years ago from 050 & your complaints are the same now as back then. The only difference it seems is they are more frequent. Protect yourself, the Hall won't. Document everything. Make copies. Record conversations when possible. Ask for it in writing. The boss does. Have a witness. Use your Weingarten rights. When the boss knows you want a steward or a witness EVERY time you are asked in to the office, they are more careful in how they conduct your visit. Take notes during the meeting. Loose lips, sink ships. Choose wisely who you talk to @ work. Truck drivers are # 2 in people who gossip the most. # 1 being truck drivers. CYA. Be safe out there. von

If you had a rock solid case, and your Union representative will not attempt to even bring the charges up to company management,....contact your regional NLRB office.
I think you're in Region 25 if you're near the Indianapolis area.

The Phone number for the Indianapolis office,...covering all of Indiana is:
(317)-226-7381

Address:
NLRB Regional Office #25
575 N. Pennsylvania Street
Room 238
Indianapolis, Ind. 46204-1577

The NLRB takes cases of non-representation very seriously,...especially if there is more than one person complaining. Then it doesn't look like a lone disgruntled dues-payer.
Labor Relations Act of 1935 gives you specific Rights......and safeguards your "value-for-dues",..allowing for such things as "Beck Law" dues reductions. You can resign from a Union and pay a "maintenance fee", and essentially "de-fund" the Local,.....and they can't decertify you as long as 50% are paying full dues.
Plan it out.......But first, contact the NLRB,.....and make sure they know; a). there's more than one person involved,..and b). this is a National Master contract.

Once again,........in a National Pandemic,.....as truck drivers are being hailed as "Front-line Heroes" for doing their jobs......it would look terrible if a Union Official wasn't taking a hands-on approach to employee health and safety in a large barn with a National employer.......Maybe the local Indianapolis newspaper might want to do a story...of which there are 10 in the Metro Indianapolis area.

The Indianapolis Star has a "Call for Action" website;...https://cfadatabase.org/cfa/submit-a-complaint.aspx You can file a potential news story and get a reporter to contact you.
No guarantee of action,....but, if I know my Union Officials,....I'd guess they don't like any Union member overturning their particular "rock"....

But,...if they're ignoring you,...AND the contract,...well,..what can you do?

Go with the NLRB first,....non-representaion,.....See how it flies,.....Then the newspaper.

Last edited:
Wow. Protections against excessive overtime. Imagine that.

As a road driver, you'd be given a 550-mile day with 4 vias, and then "other drivers do it all the time!" if you questioned it. Lol

And the answer is..."I'm not just any other driver.......I don't speed,..and I take full contractual advantage of all time available to take my Safety Checks and Safety Breaks,......Is this not Company Policy?"

And watch the dispatcher sputter like a tea kettle,....before he admits: "Yes, it is..."

Oh,...and by the way,...I just tried the "call For Action" web site,....Comes up "error". try going to the Indianapolis Star site and type in "Call For Action"....
That'll work......

The best Union Steward 050 ever had resigned after 8 years as our Steward because he could not get the Halls help when we had the company dead to rights. If you don't have the Hall behind you, it is like whipping a dead horse. Unless it is about Safety, or you have a strong case of State or Federal Law violations, forget it. Work rule enforcement is a joke. I retired 4 years ago from 050 & your complaints are the same now as back then. The only difference it seems is they are more frequent. Protect yourself, the Hall won't. Document everything. Make copies. Record conversations when possible. Ask for it in writing. The boss does. Have a witness. Use your Weingarten rights. When the boss knows you want a steward or a witness EVERY time you are asked in to the office, they are more careful in how they conduct your visit. Take notes during the meeting. Loose lips, sink ships. Choose wisely who you talk to @ work. Truck drivers are # 2 in people who gossip the most. # 1 being truck drivers. CYA. Be safe out there. von
Excellent advice, von! How are you doing these days? Whip me a text sometime!

If you had a rock solid case, and your Union representative will not attempt to even bring the charges up to company management,....contact your regional NLRB office.
I think you're in Region 25 if you're near the Indianapolis area.

The Phone number for the Indianapolis office,...covering all of Indiana is:
(317)-226-7381

Address:
NLRB Regional Office #25
575 N. Pennsylvania Street
Room 238
Indianapolis, Ind. 46204-1577

The NLRB takes cases of non-representation very seriously,...especially if there is more than one person complaining. Then it doesn't look like a lone disgruntled dues-payer.
Labor Relations Act of 1935 gives you specific Rights......and safeguards your "value-for-dues",..allowing for such things as "Beck Law" dues reductions. You can resign from a Union and pay a "maintenance fee", and essentially "de-fund" the Local,.....and they can't decertify you as long as 50% are paying full dues.
Plan it out.......But first, contact the NLRB,.....and make sure they know; a). there's more than one person involved,..and b). this is a National Master contract.

Once again,........in a National Pandemic,.....as truck drivers are being hailed as "Front-line Heroes" for doing their jobs......it would look terrible if a Union Official wasn't taking a hands-on approach to employee health and safety in a large barn with a National employer.......Maybe the local Indianapolis newspaper might want to do a story...of which there are 10 in the Metro Indianapolis area.

The Indianapolis Star has a "Call for Action" website;...https://cfadatabase.org/cfa/submit-a-complaint.aspx You can file a potential news story and get a reporter to contact you.
No guarantee of action,....but, if I know my Union Officials,....I'd guess they don't like any Union member overturning their particular "rock"....

But,...if they're ignoring you,...AND the contract,...well,..what can you do?

Go with the NLRB first,....non-representaion,.....See how it flies,.....Then the newspaper.

I forgot to mention that Canary. He did call the NLRB twice, only got voicemail, left info each time and NEVER got a response. I think after that he just gave up. Now the paper idea might do something... we will have to see.

Thanks all

I forgot to mention that Canary. He did call the NLRB twice, only got voicemail, left info each time and NEVER got a response. I think after that he just gave up. Now the paper idea might do something... we will have to see.

Thanks all

Oh, Good Grief! I guess years of de-funding the NLRB has....finally paid off. I will NOT talk Politics on this thread,.....but I am currently pounding my forehead on the desk.....repeatedly......

Maybe write to them,.....with a Petition involved,....and confirmed delivery. That way,...when you contact the press,...you've got it documented how...unresponsive,...the Government Agency responsible for protecting Labor Rights is.....

www.votesmart.org........... It matters who you vote for,......Labor rights,...Pension,.....Social Security......

(.....Thump!......Thump!......Thump!....Ow! Dammit!...........Thump!.....)

May I send you something to cushion the blow. How about an editor to edit all your future posts? I have known for years you are hard headed, but pounding your pu, excuse me, I mean desk will only gain you a migraine, which if your are very lucky, will knock some sense in to your posts. I think. Pass the Excedrin please. Von.

Oh, Good Grief! I guess years of de-funding the NLRB has....finally paid off. I will NOT talk Politics on this thread,.....but I am currently pounding my forehead on the desk.....repeatedly......

Maybe write to them,.....with a Petition involved,....and confirmed delivery. That way,...when you contact the press,...you've got it documented how...unresponsive,...the Government Agency responsible for protecting Labor Rights is.....

www.votesmart.org........... It matters who you vote for,......Labor rights,...Pension,.....Social Security......

(.....Thump!......Thump!......Thump!....Ow! Dammit!...........Thump!.....)
Please forgive me for my response. For the Vicodin I took had a little more kick than I expected. von.

Gotta watch that Vicodin stuff. One time I was on it years ago, I put on a Black Sabbath LP (at 78 RPM on the turntable). I’m pretty sure I saw God.

Yea, but when it work’s right, OMG. Between playing & refereeing hockey, numerous falls on a slippery dock or the yard that rarely was plowed, my spinal MRI's, & life in general, there is enough work to cover the life expenses of an Orthopedic Surgeon & his mistress. Falling out of trailers trying to climb up to roll down the door, 8 years jumping & falling off a flat bed & many other injuries from this vocation does & most likely will result in serious injury you don’t become aware of until 40 years down the road. Or I could have been an underground coal miner with Black Lung disease. But I am alive, not Memorex. And for that I am grateful. Von.