ABF | Forced To The Street After 8 Hours On The Dock.

At 050, the lower half of our Midnight dock shift is forced to the street after 8 hours on the dock. These aren’t always drop and hook runs. Some are peddles and long distant U-Packs. This was going on before Covid 19. Does this happen at other terminals?
My LTL time was Yellow/Indy, (7 day 24 hr breakbulk) pre 2009. They would force all 10% in at Monday 0001 to the dock. At 0600 they'd announce Street Only OT and force all 10% to the Street at 0630. Kept them out til noon at least. Then left 10% home every Wednesday so they could force them in Saturday at Straight Time.

Tell any exPreston guys still up there Jimmy g says Hi!

My LTL time was Yellow/Indy, (7 day 24 hr breakbulk) pre 2009. They would force all 10% in at Monday 0001 to the dock. At 0600 they'd announce Street Only OT and force all 10% to the Street at 0630. Kept them out til noon at least. Then left 10% home every Wednesday so they could force them in Saturday at Straight Time.

Tell any exPreston guys still up there Jimmy g says Hi!

When I went from C.F. to yellow in 2002 they did the same thing till I told dock super I hope his family isn't on the freeway this morning, I'm really tired from breaking freight all night , he stopped forcing me from then on .

When I went from C.F. to yellow in 2002 , they did the same thing, till I told dock super , hope his family isn't on the freeway this morning , I'm really tired from working freight all night, didn't force me again.

Unfortunately our Local President does not enforce any of the overtime provisions. One of our drivers had a ROCK solid case with Article numbers, paragraph lines etc. to go to a grievance hearing on the forced overtime. He had to argue with the company AND the Union and was told by the union "if you don't like it take it to committee, it won't change"
What do you do in such a position? I know file with the International, file charges, etc. But in reality that will do nothing to people who have been in charge for so long.

Quit paying dues some have said. Well once you drop below 50% paying dues, the union can decertify us! It happened to another company here in Indy (non trucking). Local 135 dropped the company.

In the contract the final two shifts can be used as a close out shift.... basically forced 14 hrs. Our President has said EVRYDAY is a close out day. Even though we don't close overnight except on Friday.....Management loves it

Morale is horrible and a manager was overheard saying "Your paid... I could careless about your morale"

Our "score" on the survey was incredibly bad and the TM blamed it on us moving.

They have laid off too many drivers here we miss multiple p/u everyday but that can be "hidden" in the numbers so no one cares

Sorry to rant but NO one here seems to know what to do.
If this is the case, what good is the union then?

If this is the case, what good is the union then?

The whole corporate idea,...is to get working people to give up.

When they pay off a Local Officer to sit on grievances or "slow-walk" any other charges,....they do so in order to make the rank-and-file disgusted with the process,.....

And eventually decertify......

The answer? Persevere..........Keep filing,.......Keep building that paper trail,........Sooner or later, that crooked officer causing the backlog,...gets voted out,..(or charged...).....and then you'll see mighty Changes.....

You just got to stick it out.

Part of the problem is....rank-and-file Apathy,....which is WHY the crooked officer got elected,...AND kept his office.
So, he smirks at the guys who say: "They're all crooked, that's why I don't attend meetings......"

You're playing his tune........Keeps him in "power"......

I am a Case-in-Point about Union corruption. " Williams vs M & G Convoy" NLRB case,....Williams was my Steward. You can pull it up on the internet. My name is on the list of employees.
Took 5 years,......When we won,....it caused major changes in Local #30....All the corrupt officers voted out, and a long-running reform movement,...still ongoing today......

Local #30 is now the second-largest Local in JC #40,.....and one of the 5 most Solvent Locals on the East Coast......that means plenty of money to take on the Big Companies........And every penny accountable.....

My lesson? Attend meetings......Ask Questions,.......TAKE NOTES......(Drives 'em crazy...). You'd be surprised about how much Power you have according to your Local Bylaws.
....that they don't want you to know about........

When you give up,........the boss smiles.......

When they pay off a Local Officer to sit on grievances or "slow-walk" any other charges,....they do so in order to make the rank-and-file disgusted with the process,.....

The answer? Persevere..........Keep filing,.......Keep building that paper trail,........Sooner or later, that crooked officer causing the backlog,...gets voted out,..(or charged...).....and then you'll see mighty Changes.....

Part of the problem is....rank-and-file Apathy,....which is WHY the crooked officer got elected,...AND kept his office.
So, he smirks at the guys who say: "They're all crooked, that's why I don't attend meetings......"

I am a Case-in-Point about Union corruption. " Williams vs M & G Convoy" NLRB case,....Williams was my Steward. You can pull it up on the internet. My name is on the list of employees.
Took 5 years,......When we won,....it caused major changes in Local #30....All the corrupt officers voted out, and a long-running reform movement,...still ongoing today......

Local #30 is now the second-largest Local in JC #40,.....and one of the 5 most Solvent Locals on the East Coast......that means plenty of money to take on the Big Companies........And every penny accountable.....

My lesson? Attend meetings......Ask Questions,.......TAKE NOTES......(Drives 'em crazy...). You'd be surprised about how much Power you have according to your Local Bylaws.

Learn (Roberts Rules of Order), you can drive em ape at your meetings.

Part of the problem is....rank-and-file Apathy. That says it all. 100 rank & file on the city board & 10% or less show up for the monthly meeting? The Local will do whatever they can get away with, because the members are not present to confront the Local Officers. You are & were a big exception to the normal. Was Muler in a different Local? He fought his Local tooth & nail. von.

Part of the problem is....rank-and-file Apathy. That says it all. 100 rank & file on the city board & 10% or less show up for the monthly meeting? The Local will do whatever they can get away with, because the members are not present to confront the Local Officers. You are & were a big exception to the normal. Was Muler in a different Local? He fought his Local tooth & nail. von.
Talk about apathy! I’ve been retired nearly three years. I attend the monthly meetings and have done so since I retired (my attendance PRE-retirement was spotty due to not getting off work until 8 or 9pm...long story, and certainly played into why I retired when I did), and I have yet to see an ABF employee there.

Talk about apathy! I’ve been retired nearly three years. I attend the monthly meetings and have done so since I retired (my attendance PRE-retirement was spotty due to not getting off work until 8 or 9pm...long story, and certainly played into why I retired when I did), and I have yet to see an ABF employee there.

There you go,........Most guys don't want to be...."bothered",...with participating in the very organization that sets your paycheck/benefit rates and preserves your First Amendment Rights at work.....

Local #30's meetings were on Saturday,.......out of 2300 members, the same 40-50 would show up. Unless it was contract time,...then about 200 would show up from UPS or Supervalu,......( and have no clue about what was going on...)

I'd ask my own guys,.......Too busy on Saturday,.....car to wash,...cartoons on TV,...flea market to go to.....
"Besides",..they'd say,..."You take notes, you'll let us know what's going on....."

And then when the contract vote comes up,......"How do I vote?....What's in the contract?....Are we going on strike? Lord! I hope not!.....Can't afford it!.....I'm voting "Yes" no matter what!....."

And I go out in the breakroom and gently pound my forehead against the coffee machine for about 15-20 minutes........

Brother Muler was out of Cleveland, Ohio,.........I was out of Greensburg, Pa. We are both in the middle of the Rust Belt. This part of the country has a several hundred year old Tradition of Labor Solidarity.

I've always been a "big exception to the normal",.....even when it violated Local, State, and Federal Statutes.........or even Reasonable Civilized Societal Norms.......

There you go,........Most guys don't want to be...."bothered",...with participating in the very organization that sets your paycheck/benefit rates and preserves your First Amendment Rights at work.....

Local #30's meetings were on Saturday,.......out of 2300 members, the same 40-50 would show up. Unless it was contract time,...then about 200 would show up from UPS or Supervalu,......( and have no clue about what was going on...)

I'd ask my own guys,.......Too busy on Saturday,.....car to wash,...cartoons on TV,...flea market to go to.....
"Besides",..they'd say,..."You take notes, you'll let us know what's going on....."

And then when the contract vote comes up,......"How do I vote?....What's in the contract?....Are we going on strike? Lord! I hope not!.....Can't afford it!.....I'm voting "Yes" no matter what!....."

And I go out in the breakroom and gently pound my forehead against the coffee machine for about 15-20 minutes........
At least ‘The Fonz’ got a bottle of soda out of the machine when he pounded on it, so here’s hoping you got coffee out of yours??? You’re right though...contract time saw an uptick in attendance. I refer to those guys as CT’s (contract timers) the same way I refer to my Catholic ‘brothers’ as ‘CE’s’ (Christmas and Easter), as they only attend Mass on......Christmas and Easter. Not to impugn either group...I just find it...interesting.

That's why there were so many refunds from the coffee machine!!! You damaged the coffee machine in a Teamster barn. What do you have to say for your self? von.

At least ‘The Fonz’ got a bottle of soda out of the machine when he pounded on it, so here’s hoping you got coffee out of yours??? You’re right though...contract time saw an uptick in attendance. I refer to those guys as CT’s (contract timers) the same way I refer to my Catholic ‘brothers’ as ‘CE’s’ (Christmas and Easter), as they only attend Mass on......Christmas and Easter. Not to impugn either group...I just find it...interesting.

That's why there were so many refunds from the coffee machine!!! You damaged the coffee machine in a Teamster barn. What do you have to say for your self? von.

Have you tasted our coffee? My guys would file a grievance when I made the coffee. To say I like it....strong,....would be a gross understating.
I like coffee you can chew.......
When I made it,.......I would dump in the coffee into the basket, add a handful of Drano,....and level the basket off...none of that wimpy "Three scoops" stuff.......

So,....I was providing a Public Health Service if I disabled the coffee machine with my head........I always brought coffee from home anyways,........in a stainless steel cup,......the plastic ones had a tendency to ...melt...due the the high caffiene level.....

Have you tasted our coffee? My guys would file a grievance when I made the coffee. To say I like it....strong,....would be a gross understating.
When I made it,.......I would dump in the coffee into the basket, add a handful of Drano,....and level the basket off...none of that wimpy "Three scoops" stuff.......

So,....I was providing a Public Health Service if I disabled the coffee machine with my head........I always brought coffee from home anyways,........in a stainless steel cup,......the plastic ones had a tendency to ...melt...due the the high caffiene level.....
And here I thought I was the bravest of them all. Based on you coffee making skills, you go to the head of the line. You earned it. The Drano alone gave your coffee that special aromatique. von.

That’s MY kind of coffee, too! The kind that would disintegrate the spoon used to mix in the cream and sugar, should someone have the ‘audacity’ to ruin a good cup of Joe. Trouble is, caffeine isn’t...’bladder friendly’...so I’m currently in negotiations with ODOT (Oregon Dept. of Transportation) to shorten the distance between rest areas from every 35-45 miles to having one every 35-45 yards...as I hate to stop and pee on the shoulder because according to Sheriff Buford T. Justice...”It wouldn’t look good on my highway.”

And here I thought I was the bravest of them all. Based on you coffee making skills, you go to the head of the line. You earned it. The Drano alone gave your coffee that special aromatique. von.

Cures bad breath better than Listerine!,.....or, I think it did. Dentist never complained,...but he did use a WWI era gas mask....

That’s MY kind of coffee, too! The kind that would disintegrate the spoon used to mix in the cream and sugar, should someone have the ‘audacity’ to ruin a good cup of Joe. Trouble is, caffeine isn’t...’bladder friendly’...so I’m currently in negotiations with ODOT (Oregon Dept. of Transportation) to shorten the distance between rest areas from every 35-45 miles to having one every 35-45 yards...as I hate to stop and pee on the shoulder because according to Sheriff Buford T. Justice...”It wouldn’t look good on my highway.”

Someday I'll tell you about the guy I ran into one day who ,....when we stopped at a truck stop near Wooster, Ohio,....threw the door of his cabover open,.....and emptied a bucket onto the parking lot....
You can probably guess what the contents were,.......As far as quantity,.....well, he drank a lot of coffee.....

Cures bad breath better than Listerine!,.....or, I think it did. Dentist never complained,...but he did use a WWI era gas mask....

Someday I'll tell you about the guy I ran into one day who ,....when we stopped at a truck stop near Wooster, Ohio,....threw the door of his cabover open,.....and emptied a bucket onto the parking lot....
You can probably guess what the contents were,.......As far as quantity,.....well, he drank a lot of coffee.....
A dentist with a gas mask working on a patient? Priceless. von.