Fordhook Lima Beans

Here in the hills we have a plant called Poke that grows wild. During the depression about everything edible was consumed. Poke leaves like fiddleheads must be picked when the plant first comes out of the ground. As the plant matures it puts on red berries. The juice was used by young people for face paint & even used in painting on paper. Probably many older artists from the depression used poke juice early in their life. If you remember Tony Joe White's song "Poke Salet Annie" you may have already heard about poke salet. Poke salet cooked with a little pork skin goes well with beans & cornbread. People around here lived on about everything imaginable during the depression. I spelled it right it is poke salet not polk salad as the music sites like utube spells it.

Sounds wonderful, let's face it, as Emerald Legacy says, "pork fat rules", and beans and cornbread, what's not to like. That Tony Joe White song is a great song. Here's a great live version, TJW with Johnny Cash.

Here in the hills we have a plant called Poke that grows wild. During the depression about everything edible was consumed. Poke leaves like fiddleheads must be picked when the plant first comes out of the ground. As the plant matures it puts on red berries. The juice was used by young people for face paint & even used in painting on paper. Probably many older artists from the depression used poke juice early in their life. If you remember Tony Joe White's song "Poke Salet Annie" you may have already heard about poke salet. Poke salet cooked with a little pork skin goes well with beans & cornbread. People around here lived on about everything imaginable during the depression. I spelled it right it is poke salet not polk salad as the music sites like utube spells it.

People 'round here still eat poke sallet.

Sounds wonderful, let's face it, as Emerald Legacy says, "pork fat rules", and beans and cornbread, what's not to like. That Tony Joe White song is a great song. Here's a great live version, TJW with Johnny Cash.

Poke sallet with some homemade chow chow and cracklin' bread are good eatin'

I made my weekly trip to Redner's this AM and what did I see? Fordhook Limas on sale for me! I've eaten baby limas for a long time so I should be able to tell the difference.

I made my weekly trip to Redner's this AM and what did I see? Fordhook Limas on sale for me! I've eaten baby limas for a long time so I should be able to tell the difference.

Frozen? Don't nuk'em, boil them in a sauce pan about 15 minutes, you want them tender.

Frozen? Don't nuk'em, boil them in a sauce pan about 15 minutes, you want them tender.
Yep, frozen, Hanover, good quality of frozen vegetables. I always boil mine and they do take a long time to cook, but don't want them mushy either. I won't let the wife cook them. I like mine with heavy butter.

Yep, frozen, Hanover, good quality of frozen vegetables. I always boil mine and they do take a long time to cook, but don't want them mushy either. I won't let the wife cook them. I like mine with heavy butter.

You got it. Sometimes for dinner I make homefries, bacon, and a big'ole pile of lima beans, it makes a very tasty combination.

Cash was talented. He was one of the most well known musicians here & other countries. He was on the Tommy Hunter show quite often. Tommy said he considered him to be a friend & a gentleman.

I had me a bowl of Fordhooks a couple of days ago. Cooked just right too, they were good but I'll have to run some more tests to determine if they're that much better than baby limas.

I had me a bowl of Fordhooks a couple of days ago. Cooked just right too, they were good but I'll have to run some more tests to determine if they're that much better than baby limas.

A little butter and salt on'em? I'm still striking out up here, the small grocer that said he'd get a case for me never came through. I haven't given up thought, talked to the store manager at our Hannaford store today, asked he would try to get them in for me, he's going to look into it.

A little butter and salt on'em?
Yep! That bites that you haven't gotten them yet, I figured you were dining on them by now. Some Doggie Pyle drivers from this area are talking about running ME but I don't know if they get near you. I bet you could finnagle a lobstahs for Fordhooks deal though.

Yep! That bites that you haven't gotten them yet, I figured you were dining on them by now. Some Doggie Pyle drivers from this area are talking about running ME but I don't know if they get near you. I bet you could finnagle a lobstahs for Fordhooks deal though.

What brand do you get down there, Birdseye or are they a store brand, not that it matters, they're all good.

These are Hanover brand from Hanover, PA. I don't know much about their distribution but I am happy with their quality so I buy their stuff when I buy frozen vegetables.
https://hanoverfoods.com/

These are Hanover brand from Hanover, PA. I don't know much about their distribution but I am happy with their quality so I buy their stuff when I buy frozen vegetables.
https://hanoverfoods.com/

Yea, I can't get those up here. The quest goes on. I don't get it, they got edamame beans by the truckload up here, tried them, they're awful. No damn fordhook lima beans anywhere.

Yea, I can't get those up here. The quest goes on. I don't get it, they got edamame beans by the truckload up here, tried them, they're awful. No damn fordhook lima beans anywhere.
SC, can you grow purple hull peas in your climate? have you tried them?
Fresh from the garden they are hard to beat.

SC, can you grow purple hull peas in your climate? have you tried them?
Fresh from the garden they are hard to beat.

Think it's too cool up here to grow them. They look a lot like black eye peas, is there a difference? We eat black eye peas, I like them over rice with hot sauce.