Fordhook Lima Beans

Think it's too cool up here to grow them. They look a lot like black eye peas, is there a difference? We eat black eye peas, I like them over rice with hot sauce.
Not a lot of difference, I like them better, canned not as good.
Didn't know about your lenth of growing time, they will almost grow on asphalt, very tasty.

When I said canned I was referring to store bought. we never canned but blanched and froze in ziplock bags.

Last edited:
I don't know anything about purple hull peas and little about black eyed peas but peas and sugar snap peas love cool weather and don't like hot weather. They are the first things we can plant (other than maybe onions) and we can plant them on St. Patty's day here. Then we can plant a second crop in June for October harvest.

I don't know anything about purple hull peas and little about black eyed peas but peas and sugar snap peas love cool weather and don't like hot weather. They are the first things we can plant (other than maybe onions) and we can plant them on St. Patty's day here. Then we can plant a second crop in June for October harvest.
These will not tolerate any frost, if we plant a June crop you fight insects so bad.
There is an alaska snow pea that likes cold and frost doesn't seem to bother them.

We got a big ole fat groundhog lives out behind the house, names Beaudreau, we let him eat whatever he wants, seems to prefer clover.

We got a big ole fat groundhog lives out behind the house, names Beaudreau, we let him eat whatever he wants, seems to prefer clover.
Can Beaudreau steer a pickup truck?
F9B5D694-DD80-6062-FB3040C13E859C1A.jpg

Does Beaudreau stand up when you whistle?

No, he's timid, but I do have a chipmunk lives on the other side of my barn named Holyfield, one of his ears got bit off, he's been around for a few years now, comes right up to me when I go out to the barn. Also got a lone turkey visits our backyard every day, they say they sometimes get vanquished from their flock and won't be accepted by other flocks either, we call him Lonesome Tom.

Do you have to have a permit for your zoo? Chipmunks are pretty smart and good at getting away from cats. Cats like to play with them and they act like their injured as they work their way over towards a tree. One cat I used to have would sit at the foot of the tree and howl when your chipmunk got a away on here.

Do you have to have a permit for your zoo? Chipmunks are pretty smart and good at getting away from cats. Cats like to play with them and they act like their injured as they work their way over towards a tree. One cat I used to have would sit at the foot of the tree and howl when your chipmunk got a away on here.

They come and go, I enjoy them while they're here, the hawks get a lot of them and we got an eagle around sometimes too.

I find that Sevin and Malation 50 conquer most insects. Groundhogs and deer on the other hand can wipe out a whole crop in one sitting.
We don't have groundhogs, fruit trees and blueberries are in electric fence, deer can jump it with no problem, but they don't
We have bugs that gain weight on Sevin.

They come and go, I enjoy them while they're here, the hawks get a lot of them and we got an eagle around sometimes too.
Nature can be cruel but that why most species survive until man tries to help with the balance of nature. Several years the Game & Fish Commission decided to bring back elk that were native here at one time. The problem was that some they brought here had Chronic Wasting Disease which has spread to other elk & also the whitetail deer now have the disease.

Then it's not just me......thanks. I'll give you another one that's disappearing for some reason, Hunt's Ketchup. None of the grocery stores up here have it anymore. The only place I can get it is Big Lots. Can't get Mr Goodbar candy bars anymore. Can't get Diamond Walnuts in the shell. It goes on and on. Can't get potatoes that aren't half rotten, or onions.
In Maine and cain't get taters, you gota be kidding me.

Nature can be cruel but that why most species survive until man tries to help with the balance of nature. Several years the Game & Fish Commission decided to bring back elk that were native here at one time. The problem was that some they brought here had Chronic Wasting Disease which has spread to other elk & also the whitetail deer now have the disease.

My guess on this may be nature's way to control population and inbreeding.
Years ago CWD devastated our deer population, today we have more than ever.
Back in those days I read an article saying more deer are killed by automobiles in the state of Pa. than all other states
combined by guns.
Think most all states now have more than they want.

In Maine and cain't get taters, you gota be kidding me.

Oh we got taters, but the quality of potatoes in general is not what it used to be. My theory is it's because of the washing. When I was young potatoes were harvested and bagged without being washed. They came with a light coating of soil. Now they wash them and it seems like they smell mildewy and have lots of bad spots. Same thing with onions, you used to be able to just grab a bag and they were all good. Now you pick through the loose ones and most of them are soft, not firm like they should be.