Fordhook Lima Beans

And eggshells don't break like they used to when cracked on the edge of the frying pan, they just fracture and make a mess. Then...I used to like watermelon, what the hell happened to them?

And eggshells don't break like they used to when cracked on the edge of the frying pan, they just fracture and make a mess. Then...I used to like watermelon, what the hell happened to them?

I'm glad it's not just me, my wife gets sick of listening to me bitch about the sad state of our food supply. I picked up a head of lettuce the other day, weighed about a third of what it should have for it's size, I put it back. Haven't had watermelon in years, I suppose it's dry and tasteless.

I'm glad it's not just me, my wife gets sick of listening to me bitch about the sad state of our food supply. I picked up a head of lettuce the other day, weighed about a third of what it should have for it's size, I put it back. Haven't had watermelon in years, I suppose it's dry and tasteless.
More tasteless than dry. I found eggs at my vet, he's about 75 years old and works out of his farm. He charges $1/dzn for the eggs and they are as good as they get. XL to jumbo at that. The wife wanted cukes last year so we planted two. Got more of them than we could eat, as usual, so we gave them away. My neighbor raved about them for I forget how long. He talked about how long they lasted in the fridge after he skinned and sliced them for munching on. I do know that when we buy them at the store we have to pick through them to find a solid one.

More tasteless than dry. I found eggs at my vet, he's about 75 years old and works out of his farm. He charges $1/dzn for the eggs and they are as good as they get. XL to jumbo at that. The wife wanted cukes last year so we planted two. Got more of them than we could eat, as usual, so we gave them away. My neighbor raved about them for I forget how long. He talked about how long they lasted in the fridge after he skinned and sliced them for munching on. I do know that when we buy them at the store we have to pick through them to find a solid one.

I get my eggs at the farm where I get my milk in glass returnable bottles. When I lived in Pa I used to grow cukes like nobodies business, up here I can't get any to do good. I used to grow those long ones, about a foot and a half long and kind of narrow, never peeled them, they had a tender skin.

Oh we got taters, but the quality of potatoes in general is not what it used to be. My theory is it's because of the washing. When I was young potatoes were harvested and bagged without being washed. They came with a light coating of soil. Now they wash them and it seems like they smell mildewy and have lots of bad spots. Same thing with onions, you used to be able to just grab a bag and they were all good. Now you pick through the loose ones and most of them are soft, not firm like they should be.

I know exactly where you are coming from, patatoes should never be washed until ready to use.

I know Abfer won't believe this,but I have applied for a patent with states of Me and Idaho for a new process
growing patatoes, plant patatoes and onions together,onions make patatoes eyes water, they never need irrigation.

I get my eggs at the farm where I get my milk in glass returnable bottles. When I lived in Pa I used to grow cukes like nobodies business, up here I can't get any to do good. I used to grow those long ones, about a foot and a half long and kind of narrow, never peeled them, they had a tender skin.

The last state legislative session an old law was repealed that required all milk to be pasteurized before it was sold. Opponents of repealing the law claimed people would get deadly diseases from drinking fresh milk. I didn't know what pasteurized milk was until I went in the military. I milked twice a day & sold some milk to help pay for feed. I don't know of anybody that got sick drinking fresh milk or even buttermilk. The more natural food is the more nutrients it will contain.
With all the taters grown in Maine I would have thought you could easily get good ones.

I know exactly where you are coming from, patatoes should never be washed until ready to use.

I know Abfer won't believe this,but I have applied for a patent with states of Me and Idaho for a new process
growing patatoes, plant patatoes and onions together,onions make patatoes eyes water, they never need irrigation.

The last state legislative session an old law was repealed that required all milk to be pasteurized before it was sold. Opponents of repealing the law claimed people would get deadly diseases from drinking fresh milk. I didn't know what pasteurized milk was until I went in the military. I milked twice a day & sold some milk to help pay for feed. I don't know of anybody that got sick drinking fresh milk or even buttermilk. The more natural food is the more nutrients it will contain.
With all the taters grown in Maine I would have thought you could easily get good ones.
I may be wrong but I believe that the dangers stemming from non pasteurized milk come from unsanitary milking practices, much like E Coli contaminated meat comes from unsanitary slaughtering practices. If the udders are not thoroughly and properly washed the milk will get contaminated from the manure that gets splashed all over them and pasteurizing the milk kills those germs. Raw milk is available in PA at certain locations but I do not know what the criteria is for them to be able to sell it.

Never been much of a milk drinker, I've seen my dad finish milking and drink it still warm right from the bucket
almost made me sick.
I still have nightmares about milk, I dream Dolly Parton is my mom and I'm a bottle baby.

Last edited:
Haven't had watermelon in years, I suppose it's dry and tasteless.
Bought one at a local Hairless Teeter in NC, 3.99 a pop. Not as large as we used to see in the 60's, 70's, 80's+ yet tastes like watermelon and the rind tastes the same. Been a number of years (closer to 2 decades) since I've et one far as eye kan recolek.
Wallywerld has 'em about the same size. Seedless seems weird yet somehow better. It's rather sloppy juicy. They may well be just another from G.M.O. unless, I suppose, bought from local grower.
CHEERS!!
- - - -
P.S.
I knew nothing about Fordhook Lima Beans (grew up in suthun California, moved to NC in '85) and Thanks B-2-U for supplying knowledge.
CHEERIO!

Yep! That bites that you haven't gotten them yet, I figured you were dining on them by now. Some Doggie Pyle drivers from this area are talking about running ME but I don't know if they get near you. I bet you could finnagle a lobstahs for Fordhooks deal though.
I am one of the DUIE Pyle ( so you get it right!! ) drivers. I get to Portland twice a week

So I am in my local Redners Warehouse Market (Ephrata) and what is in the frozen veggies?? Fordhook Lima Beans!! Hanover brand
I like Hanover's line of frozen vegetables, they're all I buy. Green Giant used to have a plant out around Parkersburg, I don't know if they're still there anymore.

I was using Hanover. They seem to have changed the processing since Steam in Bag was introduced. PictSweet is who I use now. Till the fresh stuff is in my local farmstand

I was using Hanover. They seem to have changed the processing since Steam in Bag was introduced. PictSweet is who I use now. Till the fresh stuff is in my local farmstand
I don't eat enough to have noticed a difference in processing. What's different about them? That 'steam in bag' thing is a hoax but I guess women fall for it (mine would if I didn't set her straight). Instead of just cooking what you need for a meal you'll cook the whole bag. I'm OK with eating leftovers but for the most part I only cook what I'm going to eat. I do cook extra chicken though, I love gnawing on a piece late in the evening.

I do not do the in the bag steaming. The shoepeg corn doesn't seem as crisp since the in the bag started. Maybe it me. I have plastic steamers for the microwave. Frozen veggies in. Splash of water. Set the nuker for frozen. Just right. Drain the extra water, add butter, and munch