Found On Craigslist In The Pacific North Wet..

GrumpyGrizzly

TB Lurker
Credits
gQVqQvr.jpg

gQVqQvr.jpg

hjrS6Y4.jpg

AgDaQTj.jpg

yN2mYf0.jpg

0WcHGM2.jpg

5VFJCnh.jpg

Pv404fO.jpg

vLjqL2T.jpg

Is this too good to be true??

A 1990 F-700 CrewCab with only 24,000 miles.. 7.8 l inline 6, Diesel engine, 10 speed Eaton transmission, with air brakes.

If you wanted to haul commercially with it, I'd think you need to have a CDL, DOT #, etc..

Your thoughts?? Would this thing make a decent 3 oe 4 car flatbed hauler?? Maybe RV's??

Appreciate any input.. https://bend.craigslist.org/cto/d/prineville-700-crewcab/6843973195.html

The engine is known as the Brazil engine. ABF bought several hundred of single axle city tractors with that engine in 1987. A friend bought one when they were pulled out of service in the 90's. He used it to pull single trailers & sold it to a farmer who put on a goose neck hitch to pull stock trailers & also pulled a lowboy hauling farm machinery.
I am quite sure this rig has air brakes which would probably require a CDL endorsement. Some states have CDL exemptions for seasonal agricultural products hauling.

Got to be a reason why it's on Craigslist
Just saying...
It's been sitting all that time because they didn't have a use for it. I'm pretty sure it's in the class of Barn Find where the owner held onto it until he came to the reality that he'd never be able to drive it again..
The engine is known as the Brazil engine. ABF bought several hundred of single axle city tractors with that engine in 1987. A friend bought one when they were pulled out of service in the 90's. He used it to pull single trailers & sold it to a farmer who put on a goose neck hitch to pull stock trailers & also pulled a lowboy hauling farm machinery.
I am quite sure this rig has air brakes which would probably require a CDL endorsement. Some states have CDL exemptions for seasonal agricultural products hauling.

Thanks for the input Doc.. If you had the cash, do you think it would be a decent investment?? Sure beats buying a new Dodge pickup and running it in the ground after a few years in my book..

It's been sitting all that time because they didn't have a use for it. I'm pretty sure it's in the class of Barn Find where the owner held onto it until he came to the reality that he'd never be able to drive it again..

Thanks for the input Doc.. If you had the cash, do you think it would be a decent investment?? Sure beats buying a new Dodge pickup and running it in the ground after a few years in my book..

This is what the current owner had to say about it"

It has spent most of its time sitting in a one sided barn, it has brand new batteries, tires are still full of air, it starts drives and runs perfectly, it was used to haul show horses years ago, it was custom build in Oregon

It's also rated as 40,000GVW and Not For Hire but that could change easily enough..

Since Ford / Sterling is to the best of my knowledge not making Big trucks it might be a wee tough finding parts ( if needed ) the best I can offer is call i80 tstop in Walcott ia. and see if they will make an offer in thier museum across the parking lot

Chances are it will be his best offer

It has spent most of its time sitting in a one sided barn, it has brand new batteries, tires are still full of air, it starts drives and runs perfectly, it was used to haul show horses years ago, it was custom build in Oregon

It's also rated as 40,000GVW and Not For Hire but that could change easily enough..
I have never seen one like it, the custom build explains why. Those engines were okay as best I remember. I don't know about parts availability for the cab etc. Parts for the transmission, differential, brakes etc. should not be a problem. Parts specific to the cab are probably captive parts & might be difficult to find. Ford heavy trucks sold to Sterling & production was move to Canada from the Louisville plant. The first Sterlings were built in 99 & the last ones were built in 2009. ABF bought the first ones built in 99 & bought the last units built in 2009. Sterling promised replacement parts for 10 years but cab parts like door window regulators became difficult to find. There are still several Sterlings on the road.
This would be a unique ride but I can't advise you whether to buy it or not.

I have never seen one like it, the custom build explains why. Those engines were okay as best I remember. I don't know about parts availability for the cab etc. Parts for the transmission, differential, brakes etc. should not be a problem. Parts specific to the cab are probably captive parts & might be difficult to find. Ford heavy trucks sold to Sterling & production was move to Canada from the Louisville plant. The first Sterlings were built in 99 & the last ones were built in 2009. ABF bought the first ones built in 99 & bought the last units built in 2009. Sterling promised replacement parts for 10 years but cab parts like door window regulators became difficult to find. There are still several Sterlings on the road.
This would be a unique ride but I can't advise you whether to buy it or not.

Freightliner acquired Sterling and did stop production.
I've seen one of the inline engines in a boom truck, don't know much about it, truck had full air brakes, but not a crew cab.

Ads gone. Did you buy it? Cool truck, don't know what he was asking for it but there's a lot there at the right price.

Got to be a reason why it's on Craigslist
Just saying...
More than likely the guy wants to sell it, that's a pretty sound reason in itself, it is a good marketplace for both sellers, buyers and unfortunately the occasional scammer, but still a very viable site for buying and selling.