Yellow | Four Hour Guaranteed Local Cartage Employee

deadhead

TB Lurker
Credits
One of the things in this new agreement was language for part time work. Here's a couple of lines from the agreement: The parties recognize the need for the Employers to create job opportunities and efficient operations during this period of financial restructuring and recession. For these reasons, there is established a four hour guarantee local cartage employee classification. This local cartage classification will enhance the Employer's ability to compete and provide work for the substantial number of laid-off employees. Later on it goes on to say "At each terminal, the number of workers in this four hour guaranteed local cartage classification shall be limited to 10% of the active city cartage seniority roster with a minimum of two (2) positions". The minimum of 2 positions part is what i'm curious about. Does this mean every terminal across the country is expected to post at least 2 part time bids? I know this just passed a few days ago but has anyone seen anything being done to offer laid-off employees part-time work?

"At each terminal, the number of workers in this four hour guaranteed local cartage classification shall be limited to 10% of the active city cartage seniority roster with a minimum of two (2) positions". The minimum of 2 positions part is what i'm curious about. Does this mean every terminal across the country is expected to post at least 2 part time bids? I know this just passed a few days ago but has anyone seen anything being done to offer laid-off employees part-time work?

images
it's offered daily to the laid off first. If a barn has 30 city on the list 10% is three they can use..if there are 10-15 on the list they can use 2. If nobody wants it they use outside casuals according to the link that's posted on it

I think the question is since it says a minimum of 2 is the company forced to offer 2 bids a day for 4 hr casuals?

I think the question is since it says a minimum of 2 is the company forced to offer 2 bids a day for 4 hr casuals?

negative..they can use 2, 3, or 4 local cartage depending on how many city drivers are on the seniority list

40 or more on list..10% is 4 they can use every day

30 on list..10% is 3 they can use every day

20 or less they can use 2

it's a violation of the contract to lay off regulars to make them a 4 hour cartage man

negative..they can use 2, 3, or 4 local cartage depending on how many city drivers are on the seniority list

it's a violation of the contract to lay off regulars to make them a 4 hour cartage man

Yah! Since when have they cared about violating the contract? This whole part time gig is about eliminating healt care costs. There will be 10% of the active list part time as well as laid off as well, hence there is no language pertaining to the laid off being part time.

I understand the 10% formula. I understand they agreed it's a violation to lay off regulars to make them a 4 hour cartage man. Wrench is right. What i'm asking is since the company agreed to a minimum of 2 four hour guaranteed local cartage employees, should i expect to see at least 2 bids posted for this type of work? Is the TM allowed to ignore this whole agreement and use no four hour employees? If they're not required to have a minimum of 2 bids are they required to use no less than 2 four hour employees on a daily, on-call basis?

Yah! Since when have they cared about violating the contract? This whole part time gig is about eliminating healt care costs. There will be 10% of the active list part time as well as laid off as well, hence there is no language pertaining to the laid off being part time.

They've never cared unless it hit them in the pocket. When that happens they seem to care a lot. As far as this being used to eliminate health care costs i'll include more language from the agreement. It states "The four hour guaranteed local cartage classification shall be paid the applicable fulltime rate of pay minus the wage reduction (15%). Pension and health & welfare benefits shall be paid consistent with those for regular employees, but laid-off four (4) hour employees shall have contributions paid for hours rather than days worked". I don't see how this would help eliminate health care costs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand the 10% formula. I understand they agreed it's a violation to lay off regulars to make them a 4 hour cartage man. Wrench is right. What i'm asking is since the company agreed to a minimum of 2 four hour guaranteed local cartage employees, should i expect to see at least 2 bids posted for this type of work? Is the TM allowed to ignore this whole agreement and use no four hour employees? If they're not required to have a minimum of 2 bids are they required to use no less than 2 four hour employees on a daily, on-call basis?
images
they're lucky if they can get 2 to come in but who knows? Call ins only probably for the dock..not to mention they can bring them in on three daily created starting times..like start them when ever time they want

2-4 people max

Here's another Question, with the slow season coming we know there are going to be layoffs, so lets say there are 40 drivers on the list, The man plan from above predicts we need 37.5 men. Previously that would have meant a hard layoff of 3 guys and OT to cover .5 man, so now if they lay off 3 guys can any of those 3 be used as 4 hour men?

When I turn 65 in about 13 years I may come back out of retirement and work 4 hours a day..........yipppppppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...................

Here's another Question, with the slow season coming we know there are going to be layoffs, so lets say there are 40 drivers on the list, The man plan from above predicts we need 37.5 men. Previously that would have meant a hard layoff of 3 guys and OT to cover .5 man, so now if they lay off 3 guys can any of those 3 be used as 4 hour men?

Yes, and the union will have no say in whether those men were laid off due to low business levels or because management has the idea they'll turn as many people as they can into 4 hour employees. Jay C is right though, almost everyone will turn down the 4 hour position. Personally, i love the idea of spending less time at YRC and that is why i'm trying to get answers.

One of the things in this new agreement was language for part time work. Here's a couple of lines from the agreement: The parties recognize the need for the Employers to create job opportunities and efficient operations during this period of financial restructuring and recession. For these reasons, there is established a four hour guarantee local cartage employee classification. This local cartage classification will enhance the Employer's ability to compete and provide work for the substantial number of laid-off employees. Later on it goes on to say "At each terminal, the number of workers in this four hour guaranteed local cartage classification shall be limited to 10% of the active city cartage seniority roster with a minimum of two (2) positions". The minimum of 2 positions part is what i'm curious about. Does this mean every terminal across the country is expected to post at least 2 part time bids? I know this just passed a few days ago but has anyone seen anything being done to offer laid-off employees part-time work?

I think you'll find it has nothing to do with creating bids, only a 4 hour "guarantee" if you are called in for this. Like now its 8 hours if called. They'll abuse the crap out of this just like the overtime rule and the onion will just say, "leave them alone, they're in survival mode, and we need the dues money too"! Remind me again why we went on strike in 94 over part time bs. At least the trailers are already white, they can put conway decals right over the name on them now.

They've never cared unless it hit them in the pocket. When that happens they seem to care a lot. As far as this being used to eliminate health care costs i'll include more language from the agreement. It states "The four hour guaranteed local cartage classification shall be paid the applicable fulltime rate of pay minus the wage reduction (15%). Pension and health & welfare benefits shall be paid consistent with those for regular employees, but laid-off four (4) hour employees shall have contributions paid for hours rather than days worked". I don't see how this would help eliminate health care costs.

Well here is how it will work here
IF you worked 3-8 hour day's when laid off then they had to pay the whole 40 into H&W.Now they just pay the hour's you worked,nice huh.

Now working 5-4 hour day's you get 20 for the week,in our H&W plan you need 150 hour's paid in to keep your medical.So you lose coverage.

It is a win win for the union, they get all the free cash from the 4 hour gig.

Well here is how it will work here
IF you worked 3-8 hour day's when laid off then they had to pay the whole 40 into H&W.Now they just pay the hour's you worked,nice huh.

Now working 5-4 hour day's you get 20 for the week,in our H&W plan you need 150 hour's paid in to keep your medical.So you lose coverage.

It is a win win for the union, they get all the free cash from the 4 hour gig.

ebd7b489.jpg
So the company is going to target the 4 cartage employee so they don't have to pay his H&W. Who's to say they can't get 5-8's ?

ebd7b489.jpg
So the company is going to target the 4 cartage employee so they don't have to pay his H&W. Who's to say they can't get 5-8's ?

Here is the other side of the story. If a laid off employee declines the 4 hour work, does the company deny their unemployment for that day or for every how many days that they have declined work?

So now, the company gets out of paying H&W (only has to pay - times number of hours worked) plus they also get the option of declining unemployment if laid off refuses work because they can make more money on unemployment than by working.

Here is the other side of the story. If a laid off employee declines the 4 hour work, does the company deny their unemployment for that day or for every how many days that they have declined work?

So now, the company gets out of paying H&W (only has to pay - times number of hours worked) plus they also get the option of declining unemployment if laid off refuses work because they can make more money on unemployment than by working.
Many states you are not required to accept part time work.

WIN,WIN for the onion is right, these 4 hr employees are paid (TOP rate MINUS 15% )so the onion get TOP pay in DUES from them.
just like I pointed out to someone. If I only get called once a month for a shift I make $185 and some change, less union dues, less the gas commute, I make about $12 an hour for the honor of working. Found a new job so will not be their call in ***** anymore.

I think you'll find it has nothing to do with creating bids, only a 4 hour "guarantee" if you are called in for this. Like now its 8 hours if called. They'll abuse the crap out of this just like the overtime rule and the onion will just say, "leave them alone, they're in survival mode, and we need the dues money too"! Remind me again why we went on strike in 94 over part time bs. At least the trailers are already white, they can put conway decals right over the name on them now.
We went on strike in 94 over forty and out. After you worked forty hours management wanted to bring in casuals ahead of you on your premium days. The strike ended but the issue was never settled. The strike of 94 accomplished nothing for either side.

Last edited by a moderator: