Yellow | Four Hour Guaranteed Local Cartage Employee

And it is back again. The 4 hour shifts are here to stay thanks to UPS. I have talked to one of their workers and that is all she can expect for work in the next 10 years.

When I turn 65 in about 13 years I may come back out of retirement and work 4 hours a day..........yipppppppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...................
Do you think you'll be on your nice soft run again? Four hours of stripping trailers on midnights would just about kill me.

And it is back again. The 4 hour shifts are here to stay thanks to UPS. I have talked to one of their workers and that is all she can expect for work in the next 10 years.

UPS is going to hire 50,000 part time Christmas help..part timers there make deliveries on Saturday. YRC will be allowed to make Saturday deliveries now using full timers of course and of course on strait time

Sure am glad I was laid off a couple months ago and was able to find a decent payin job with a 401k and awesome hours, I feel sorry for anybody that thinks a union job is the only way to go !!! Since i started with yellow in 98 the union has gone nothin but backwards !!!!! Good luck to everybody that is in a tough spot and has to put up with this crap,but i really think you guys are gonna see my taillights ride off into the sunset!!!!

Sure am glad I was laid off a couple months ago and was able to find a decent payin job with a 401k and awesome hours, I feel sorry for anybody that thinks a union job is the only way to go !!! Since i started with yellow in 98 the union has gone nothin but backwards !!!!! Good luck to everybody that is in a tough spot and has to put up with this crap,but i really think you guys are gonna see my taillights ride off into the sunset!!!!

This is one of the reasons i'm asking about the four hour language. I have other things going on other than YRC and YRC is not my top priority or in my long term plan. Four hour part time work could actually be a good thing for me right now. In my first post on this thread i asked about something that hasn't been given a definate answer yet. The language calls for a minimum of 2 four hour local cartage employees at each terminal. Are the 2 top laid off workers supposed to be getting phone calls at this point about a guaranteed four hours or no?

they can not force any layed off man to take the 4 hour gig . they can not call in the 4 hour casual unless the board is exhausted. most breakbalks want nothing to do with this . we were told it will be all the smaller end of line terminals.at charlotte we have about 160 on bid . id say another 150 on lay off . pretty much every week every1 on lay off can get their 3 days in for medical [a hand full are working 6 punches]. if for some reason they needed 12 man hours and none of that 150 on lay off answered the phone they may be able to get 3 4 hour guys in .

It's a violation of the contract to lay off regulars to make them a 4 hour cartage man
Here is the exact language that you are referring to.......

"It is a violation of this provision for the Employer to lay-off full-time employees in order to convert them to four hour guaranteed local cartage employees."

My thoughts are this.
If they choose to lay off an employee because of "low freight volumes", (whether true or not) the employee then disappears for let's say a week. Then the company can call him back as a four hour local cartage employee. Who can fight and beat that example? Nobody can. They will have the right to do this......and nobody can do a thing about it.
That is exactly what their plan is. By doing my example, the company can use these (formerly full time) employees when ever they need them, but not have to pay their full time benefits. They would only have to pay the benefits based on the exact number of hours that the 4 hour guy worked. Good for the company, but bad for the employees.

This is one of the reasons i'm asking about the four hour language. I have other things going on other than YRC and YRC is not my top priority or in my long term plan. Four hour part time work could actually be a good thing for me right now. In my first post on this thread i asked about something that hasn't been given a definate answer yet. The language calls for a minimum of 2 four hour local cartage employees at each terminal. Are the 2 top laid off workers supposed to be getting phone calls at this point about a guaranteed four hours or no?

yeah, they call daily by senility no I mean seniority

The language calls for a minimum of 2 four hour local cartage employees at each terminal. Are the 2 top laid off workers supposed to be getting phone calls at this point about a guaranteed four hours or no?
The language is interpreted as this......
They can have a minimum of two at each terminal. But that does not mean that they will have two. The minimum of two language was for the smaller terminals. That way if they only had 12 drivers, the TM still has the option of have two 4 hour guys, if he chooses to exercise this option. The TM's will have the option of having them, but technically are not required to have or use them. The language was worded in a way that gives them the option.

As far as the top two guys getting the phone calls......Yes, the phone calls will be in seniority order. But, don't forget, the former full timer has the right to refuse the 4 hours worth of work. Then they keep calling down the seniority list until they get someone to come in.

Hope this answers your question.:1036316054:

Regarding the 4 hour position, is it at regular pay? There's a rumor (or is it a rumor?) that they'll get $14hr, this sounds ridiculous to me.

We went on strike in 94 over forty and out. After you worked forty hours management wanted to bring in casuals ahead of you on your premium days. The strike ended but the issue was never settled. The strike of 94 accomplished nothing for either side.

That was the screwing we got from Ron Carey.

We went on strike in 94 over forty and out. After you worked forty hours management wanted to bring in casuals ahead of you on your premium days. The strike ended but the issue was never settled. The strike of 94 accomplished nothing for either side.

I believe they wanted part time dock workers to replace retiring full time people and the onion gave them the 40 and out instead which went away in the 2nd to last best contract ever. That there should have taught everyone to base their bills on a 32 hour paycheck.
The strike wasn't fun but it did teach these companies that Ron Carey had the balls to call one and the members still had some too. Better then because later the onion has become so weak under pos hoffa. Carey did a great job with the UPS strike too. Remember they wanted out of the pension funds. Jimmy would have signed them over if it happened under his watch.

When I turn 65 in about 13 years I may come back out of retirement and work 4 hours a day..........yipppppppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...................

Hey, I've got a question for you, does that thing actually run or is it just a gold brick(nice to look at but really doesn't do anything)? I see in your avatar its always parked in the same location and same position.:biglaugh:

We have three active layoffs working fulltime 40+ hours.. All others on the list have been called back, but have taken LOA .. Now that has been extended till June 2011. So we have no one to work 4 hour.....381 Omaha.. But two weekend(fri-tue. 8:30 start)... bids went up yesterday for Nov.7th start

Hey, I've got a question for you, does that thing actually run or is it just a gold brick(nice to look at but really doesn't do anything)? I see in your avatar its always parked in the same location and same position.:biglaugh:

Looks like it runs to me:)
ElectraglideAvtr-1.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand the 10% formula. I understand they agreed it's a violation to lay off regulars to make them a 4 hour cartage man. Wrench is right. What i'm asking is since the company agreed to a minimum of 2 four hour guaranteed local cartage employees, should i expect to see at least 2 bids posted for this type of work? Is the TM allowed to ignore this whole agreement and use no four hour employees? If they're not required to have a minimum of 2 bids are they required to use no less than 2 four hour employees on a daily, on-call basis?

I don't believe they have to use two part timers, they have the option of doing so.