FedEx Freight | Freight 2020 Needs To Be Shelved

Will the freight direct drivers run out our locations and will they be considered contractors and on the rare occasion that they aren’t too busy can we put our non direct residential deliveries on the lower profile vehicles.
They will run out of FxF barns, ,,, for now?
Will be Fx employees ,and very likely, hold a Class B licence only. (No need for any endorsements, or Hazmat)

Once up and running to full capacity, they will only run Direct deliveries, and won't touch FxF freight ever.

It will be as seperate as Ground and Express are from Freight the only tie, will be it moving from the shipper, to the location terminal through the FxF system. Once there, Fx Direct will tske possession, and make delivery .

They will run out of FxF barns, ,,, for now?
Will be Fx employees ,and very likely, hold a Class B licence only. (No need for any endorsements, or Hazmat)

Once up and running to full capacity, they will only run Direct deliveries, and won't touch FxF freight ever.

It will be as seperate as Ground and Express are from Freight the only tie, will be it moving from the shipper, to the location terminal through the FxF system. Once there, Fx Direct will tske possession, and make delivery .

Where are you getting this info? I know they said they were going to test this service with contractors but from the sound of things that didn’t work out? I hope it’s true that fxf drivers won’t have to do this service down the road.

It has to happen.
If the other LtLs dont have something like our system ready to go, like soon, FxF will absolutely crush the other LtLs once it's fully utilized. It wont even be close.
I dont think the majority of the employees understand how much of a game changer this system is.
Some employees don't even understand the necessity of advertising...

Where are you getting this info? I know they said they were going to test this service with contractors but from the sound of things that didn’t work out? I hope it’s true that fxf drivers won’t have to do this service down the road.
Hard to believe if freight direct had a delivery just say an hour away they wouldn’t put other deliveries on the truck. And the whole 2hr window with text alerts heck can’t even get my center to respond now.

Hard to believe if freight direct had a delivery just say an hour away they wouldn’t put other deliveries on the truck. And the whole 2hr window with text alerts heck can’t even get my center to respond now.

Not sure how other centers are running this but at mine we haven’t gotten an actual direct shipment. We’re testing the handhelds that are used for the service but all the features are either not turned on or not working yet. So as of now we just put some residential/limited access delivery’s on a box truck and do what we can on the handheld.

The testing was done, and fine tuning continues, but it seems that locations with density will do it strictly in house. Other locations are likely to use a 3rd party, for now. The problem with 3rd parties is tracking, insuring consistency of the "brand" experience, and accountability.

Going forward, eventually Class B drivers will be hired/trained specifically for the task. Until then, when overflow presents itself, or when volume doesn't justify a dedicated (Class B) driver, seniority (bid) or lack thereof will dictate.

Remember, specialized training is supposed to be done prior to anyone being stuck on such a route.

Last edited:
The testing was done, and fine tuning continues, but it seems that locations with density will do it strictly in house. Other locations are likely to use a 3rd party, for now.

Going forward, eventually Class B drivers will be hired/trained specifically for the task. Until then, when overflow presents itself, or when volume doesn't justify a dedicated (Class B) driver, seniority (bid) or lack thereof will dictate.

Remember, specialized training is supposed to be done prior to anyone being stuck on such a route.

I hope the training is more than the 15 min slide show with Q&A at the end they made me take.

Once again, you have to think of it as an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT operation. For all intents and purposes, it might as well be UPS.
You have to understand, a FxF shipment may be going to the address right across the street from where a Direct shipment is being delivered, at the SAME TIME, but that is irrelevant, as the customer has PAID for this specific service from DIRECT, NOT FXF.

If a fxf city driver is delivering to a location the same time Ground is there. Same thing.

Once again, you have to think of it as an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT operation. For all intents and purposes, it might as well be UPS.
You have to understand, a FxF shipment may be going to the address right across the street from where a Direct shipment is being delivered, at the SAME TIME, but that is irrelevant, as the customer has PAID for this specific service from DIRECT, NOT FXF.

If a fxf city driver is delivering to a location the same time Ground is there. Same thing.
Heck it would cheaper just to do a dock pickup and pay some handyman to lug it in the house. Couldn’t imagine what the charges would be to have a direct driver sitting around waiting for a delivery and then driving 60 miles away delivering and driving empty miles back because your explanation states they can’t touch FXF pickups or deliveries.

Heck it would cheaper just to do a dock pickup and pay some handyman to lug it in the house. Couldn’t imagine what the charges would be to have a direct driver sitting around waiting for a delivery and then driving 60 miles away delivering and driving empty miles back because your explanation states they can’t touch FXF pickups or deliveries.
Maybe I can sneak the keys to one of the low profile direct vehicles when I have a residential delivery. Tired of being at a disadvantage with a 48ft lift gate. Power lines tree limbs and narrow streets. Ding ding ding all incident/accident reports. Direct drivers can have all the residentials.

Since you mentioned it, we might as well put this up again. From the real website:

https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/freight-services/freight-direct-rates.html

Rates
Service Surcharge Name
Surcharge Keyword Surcharge Rate
Pickup at FedEx Service Center No charge
FedEx Freight Direct Standard FFDS $100.00 per shipment
FedEx Freight Direct Premium FFDP $175.00 per shipment
Good information it would be nice on a local level we had managers willing to learn about freight direct and share with the employees.

We have several of these trucks and handle with in-house drivers...and we actually have guys who like doing this type of work, I say let them!! :1036316054:

There won't be anyone "sitting around"
The driver will come in with a full route of Direct freight waiting on him. Probably 4-8 del a day, depending on customer location.

Again, and AGAIN, I'll say this:

THIS WILL BE AN ENTIRELY STAND ALONE OP CO!
THERE WON'T BE 2 SHIPMENTS A DAY!

There are seriously some super short sighted individuals here.

You have to get the FxF operation 100% out of your brain when it comes to the delivery of the Direct shipments.

I know it's going to blow some pea brains when you guys see a Direct driver across the street from you, but just imagine that the truck won't say Fedex any where on it.
Just imagine it says "Some dude's Home Delivery"

Will that make it easier to compute?

"But, but! Why can't the Direct driver get that PU! !! Him is just around the corner!!#&!!"

Last edited: