ABF | Freight Sleds

The main thing behind all this imho, is to do as much or more as now with less trailers. In the training video's they say a trailer should only be the dock for around 15mins. Pull a loaded sled out shove one in put the trailer back on the road. Also with some of the long ugly freight they take on, it easier to load/unload from the side of the sleds.
That’s what I was told, a lot less damage with the long ugly freight....

If I remember the sleds weigh around 3000, leaving 18-19 of freight. Just don't quote me, I'm getting old and my training was back in Dec. Someone from 042 could answer this better.
Pulling even like 15,000lbs, out of the trailer though is a lot of weight. Do they have heavier duty lifts for pushing and pulling those loaded sleds?

Pulling even like 15,000lbs, out of the trailer though is a lot of weight. Do they have heavier duty lifts for pushing and pulling those loaded sleds?

Didn't I see something where there was a towmotor modification to pull out the sleds?

I do know at the old 310 dock, nothing was quite......"smooth " as far as the dock went......
If you weren't paying attention, and dragging or pushing something long and heavy.......you might have a quick involuntary stop, if you know what I mean.......

Didn't I see something where there was a towmotor modification to pull out the sleds?

I do know at the old 310 dock, nothing was quite......"smooth " as far as the dock went......
If you weren't paying attention, and dragging or pushing something long and heavy.......you might have a quick involuntary stop, if you know what I mean.......
Only other thing I wondered about was if the top double stacked skids are tied in so they don’t work over to the wall and make it tough to get it out the door without catching on the door track?

Only other thing I wondered about was if the top double stacked skids are tied in so they don’t work over to the wall and make it tough to get it out the door without catching on the door track?
if you look at the empty picture of the sled, you'll see there are bars on the sides that are put on before the sled is pushed in the trailer. The only difference in the new forklifts are the now have a side shift on the to help adjust the sled when your loading them. The sleds have wheels the retract after moving them, plus there's an battery operated motor that goes between the forklift and the sled that makes the wheels come up/down and assists in the moving of the sled.

if you look at the empty picture of the sled, you'll see there are bars on the sides that are put on before the sled is pushed in the trailer. The only difference in the new forklifts are the now have a side shift on the to help adjust the sled when your loading them. The sleds have wheels the retract after moving them, plus there's an battery operated motor that goes between the forklift and the sled that makes the wheels come up/down and assists in the moving of the sled.
Makes more sense now. Thx

Sleds weight 6000 lbs. 26 ft long. You need a special attachment for forklift to move them
4K9SlMI.jpg

I saw those bars, I thought that's how they were stowed when moving empty. The second pic doesn't show them on the sides.

I’ve heard from someone that’s been using these sleds for a while now. They said they didn’t like them at first but the longer they use them they are kind of nice. Easier to load long freight on top when sled is out side trailer. You can get to it fr side. Put long stuff up on bars. As long as you have room on dock to do so.

It wouldn't work on the dock we had. You had to be careful backing out of the trailer or you'd go off the other side. Lol. Besides. We never had room to begin with. Seems like it's good for long freight. We all know what a pain some of the long stuff can be.

The freight sleds are a cool concept, reminds me of picking up FedEx ground out of Memphis. Two enclosed containers full of packages could be loaded in 10 minutes and be out of there