ABF | Freight

Me and drivers below me haven't worked in 8 days. Might be 11 or 16 before we work again. Sure seems like a weird year in freight.

Freight is always the first to see a down turn in the economy. And the first to see it pick up. I suspect this Trade War is starting to effect freight & will continue to worsen as POTUS continues down this path with China. China is the # 1 trading partner of the US. If you make the goods more expensive to purchase, people will spend less on what I call ‘brick or brack’. Fewer purchases, less freight needed. Less demand, less work days @ the freight company. Besides, China owns more of our T Bills than we do. China owns a lot of America. China has purchased so many T Bills; they have to believe the US is of great value to them. But this trade war will have a much greater effect on China’s economy than the US economy. It is a question of who blinks first.Von.

We have Ben just a bit lighter but everyone still 50 plus hours. I know talking to the 034 drivers they have Ben real slow.Freight is always hard to predict rolls up and down but average the year and you will come out pretty good.personaly I think it will get busier there probably working on getting more ::shit:: freight every day

I have a friend that is an owner operator with his own operating authority. He has three trucks with two other drivers working for him plus a an owner operator that is using his authority. He is thinking about selling his extra equipment and leasing on with another company because the spot market through brokers is paying so little. He put in a request for all loads going out 140 miles from his location and the website came back with 19 loads. A year ago it would have had 150. Things are drying up all over.

Freight is always the first to see a down turn in the economy. And the first to see it pick up. I suspect this Trade War is starting to effect freight & will continue to worsen as POTUS continues down this path with China. China is the # 1 trading partner of the US. If you make the goods more expensive to purchase, people will spend less on what I call ‘brick or brack’. Fewer purchases, less freight needed. Less demand, less work days @ the freight company. Besides, China owns more of our T Bills than we do. China owns a lot of America. China has purchased so many T Bills; they have to believe the US is of great value to them. But this trade war will have a much greater effect on China’s economy than the US economy. It is a question of who blinks first.Von.
Just like the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Just like the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Cuban Missle Crisis was a horse of a different color for me, Ryder and Carolina Freight hauled enough barbed wire, parachutes, mortar, artillery rounds and bombs to sink the state of Fla.
We ran no logs, no speed limit, stopped at no scales or check points.
Dispatcher would ask you to go sleep a couple hrs and come on back, I'll have you ready, this lasted about 3 weeks.
We ran like wild indians.

Cuban Missle Crisis was a horse of a different color for me, Ryder and Carolina Freight hauled enough barbed wire, parachutes, mortar, artillery rounds and bombs to sink the state of Fla.
We ran no logs, no speed limit, stopped at no scales or check points.
Dispatcher would ask you to go sleep a couple hrs and come on back, I'll have you ready, this lasted about 3 weeks.
We ran like wild indians.
Amazing story! How soon after President Kennedy’s speech to the nation did you begin running that stuff down there?

Amazing story! How soon after President Kennedy’s speech to the nation did you begin running that stuff down there?

I can't recall a time line., we had a relay point at Hazlehurst Ga, when you were rested or called the dispatcher,
he would ask, if you wanted to make a Jax. turn or go back home.
I remember we were adding a new fleet of B61s.
I think Akers Motor Lines also hauled some of this ordinance.

oH mY GoD ThErE's a DrIvEr sHoRtAgE! PaY iS GoNnA sKyRoCkEt tO mEEt dEmAnD!

Poof! No more driver shortage. The only companies experiencing a shortage were the megas, because today's kids were too smart to buy their :horseshit:.

Well,......we all know Freight has cycles,...and that the high-end jobs in any industry have an easier time to fill jobs.
But , this is a problem trucking has always had, and that other industries have figured out, ....by spreading the work out to the whole workforce prior to layoffs.

I guess that’s harder to do in Freight,......or it takes too much thought and planning for management to care about.

Contract is settled,.....so any thought of helping the bottom of the seniority board,......or raising any pay,........is gone.
Back to “business as usual..”

Amazing how ther always seems to be a....steady....amount of “managerial “ work......They never get laid off....no matter how low the Freight volume goes....

....(..you know,...the volume they are supposed to be in charge of..).....

I can't recall a time line., we had a relay point at Hazlehurst Ga, when you were rested or called the dispatcher,
he would ask, if you wanted to make a Jax. turn or go back home.
I remember we were adding a new fleet of B61s.
I think Akers Motor Lines also hauled some of this ordinance.

I know you remember when log book covers used to say that in the event of a nuclear attack,...all truck drivers were to report to the nearest Civil Defense facility......to be immediately conscripted into the Army, I guess.....

Well,......we all know Freight has cycles,...and that the high-end jobs in any industry have an easier time to fill jobs.
But , this is a problem trucking has always had, and that other industries have figured out, ....by spreading the work out to the whole workforce prior to layoffs.

I guess that’s harder to do in Freight,......or it takes too much thought and planning for management to care about.

Contract is settled,.....so any thought of helping the bottom of the seniority board,......or raising any pay,........is gone.
Back to “business as usual..”

Amazing how ther always seems to be a....steady....amount of “managerial “ work......They never get laid off....no matter how low the Freight volume goes....

....(..you know,...the volume they are supposed to be in charge of..).....
Are you suggesting that the pigs living in the house means they are more equal than the rest of us?