FedEx Freight | Full time dock Vs Purple shirt

shroomzeee

TB Lurker
Credits
current full time dock employee with another opportunity to transition into leadership. My gut is screaming at me that its not worth it other than the immediate pay bump. In 4 years time my salary will be comparable to a supervisor. Any advice on what the best course of action would be from here?

Sighhhhhh , ohhhh boy and you are asking us ?
This should evolve into a good one Shroom .

Most operetation managers started out as supervisors. Make sure you're good at snitching and kissing butt. Fedex loves having this type of people

current full time dock employee with another opportunity to transition into leadership. My gut is screaming at me that its not worth it other than the immediate pay bump. In 4 years time my salary will be comparable to a supervisor. Any advice on what the best course of action would be from here?
If you choose supervisor be prepared for alot of STRESS! Had a friend have to step down from supervision because blood pressure was way too high!

Remember In management crap rolls down hill. Plus if you wanna move up through the ranks you gotta be willing to transfer all over the company.

Fedex doesn't like to promote to high management within centers because they are afraid of buddy system or people actually liking each other.

Our terminal manager is from Utah. 3 assistant managers are from Indianapolis, Grenada Mississippi, and Bowling Green.

If you choose dock go through driver apprentice program even if you don't wanna drive. Easier to replace full time dock than full time driver. Just bid a CDSA dock position if available at your center.

You answered your question yourself. Stay dock, or get your CDL, and get a raise.

I don't know Shroom , just know what I'd do . You gotta do what you think is best for you . It would look good on your resume but in the end if your heart and family are unhappy , well what the hell good is it ? Good luck friend .

Brother right now you can walk out the gate at the end of your shift & devote 100% of your attention on the family until you punch in again. Not your problem if things went wrong or screwed up you did your best for the day. Not like that in Mgmt. cause someone higher up the ladder is watching to make sure you make them look good. Choose wisely. Best of luck in what ever you choose.

Last edited:
Supervisors are the first ones to get canned when something goes wrong. Upper management will blame everything on lower management and then you get shown the door. In my 17 years here there have been too many supervisors come and go that I don't remember them all.

I run to 7 different hubs here and there and I’ve never seen FT dock go to a supervisor position. I’ve seen a few PT dock go to supervisor which has to be a good raise. The promoted part timers seem to make it. Outside hire supervisors are a joke at the hubs. But that’s most likely due to lack of training. Better off to go through the Cdl program, even a short shuttle run with dock work will pay more than a supervisor makes with tons less BS and stress. Plus drivers typically don’t get crap about bills per hour. Just get a scan every 15 minutes. Best of luck with whichever path you choose.

The only con to being full-time dock is that it's almost impossible to transfer to another center with the same title.

Like others, I'd recommend going through the program. If you can't because of tickets or you like THC, then only make that jump if you want to transfer. I know a guy that went from full-time dock to supervisor just to put in a transfer.

If you're doing it just because, then don't. You can run lanes as a full time dock worker with none of the headaches if they're desperate enough. Same work, more money and less stress.

Almost makes me wonder how on earth any company survives with all the pansies scared of some stress. The question is one literally only you can answer. If you are content never aspiring to move higher stay put. Don’t not do it because you are afraid of some responsibility. If you would like to increase your potential go for it. Hell you can always be a dock worker again at any point at any company.

Last edited:
Almost makes me wonder how on earth any company survives with all the pansies scared of some stress. The question is one literally only you can answer. If you are content never aspiring to move higher stay put. Don’t not do it because you are afraid of some responsibility. If you would like to increase your potential go for it. Hell you can always be a dock worker again at any point at any company.

I would say the issue (at least at my center) isn't so much exposure to stressful situations as it is being expected to be at the terminal for several more hours than is necessary.

Time is something you can't ever get back, so arbitrarily being expected to be at the workplace for 10 or 11 hours even though there is only about 6 or 7 hours worth to actually do doesn't make sense to anyone with a head on their shoulders.

My center is a hub and a 24 hour operation and aside from running the dock stand or being an OM there are only two lanes that require about 9 hours on average. The others are more like 6 or 7. Our sups eat junk food and stare at their phones for the first few hours of the day. If I wanted to go that route I'd rather do it in the comfort of my own home. Granted these are all great people. It's just that they have an arrangement I wouldn't ever agree to.

We've had plenty of exceptional guys express interest in being a part time supervisor while going to school and to boost their resume. The position was almost re-opened for the first time in years, but apparently our SCM decided that that arrangement made us look like a weak operation. So much for things like saving money on payroll and creating win-win situations while we're at it.