FedEx Freight | Fun With Disc Brake Inspections

SwampRatt

TB Legend
Credits
Since we started getting trucks with disc brakes, most of us (who care) questioned the lack of guidance on how to actually inspect them.

Well, here is everything you need to know. Plus some. Too much? You be the judge.

1st: Just like all brakes look for signs of a leaking wheel seal, that could contaminate the brakes.

Pad thickness: Out of service thickness is anything less than 1/16 inch. FedEx replaces at 1/8 inch or sooner.

The rotor: It has a "chamfer" (45 degree bevel) around the edge. When that bevel is gone, so is the rotor. Obviously scoring or signs of metal on metal contact would be a deadline item.

M0OfVW6.jpg

Wear indicators: The pads have a groove that should be visible, but there are indicators on both the carrier and the caliper that (when they meet) indicate the need for a wheel off inspection. Likely time for pad replacement, once in there.

DkBsPWG.jpg

The above is very difficult to see on the Drive axles, unless you lay on the ground with a flashlight and look. The steer axles are very easy to see under the hood, if you look, again with a flashlight.

The following video is very good, even showing how easy the pads are to replace.

And this one shows things from a roadside DOT inspection point of view.

:popcorn:

Last edited:
For those that think nothing goes wrong, or that they last forever, think again.

lnv2QHu.jpg

NOTE the obvious scoring/metal on metal contact AND the broken mounting tabs. Had to be towed in.

Wb6yGAH.jpg

The inside view. Chamfer (bevel) gone too.

The above truck has around 206k miles. Far less than the anticipated service life sold.

Since we started getting trucks with disc brakes, most of us (who care) questioned the lack of guidance on how to actually inspect them.

Well, here is everything you need to know. Plus some. Too much? You be the judge.

1st: Just like all brakes look for signs of a leaking wheel seal, that could contaminate the brakes.

Pad thickness: Out of service thickness is anything less than 1/16 inch. FedEx replaces at 1/8 inch or sooner.

The rotor: It has a "chamfer" (45 degree bevel) around the edge. When that bevel is gone, so is the rotor. Obviously scoring or signs of metal on metal contact would be a deadline item.

M0OfVW6.jpg

Wear indicators: The pads have a groove that should be visible, but there are indicators on both the carrier and the caliper that (when they meet) indicate the need for a wheel off inspection. Likely time for pad replacement, once in there.

DkBsPWG.jpg

The above is very difficult to see on the Drive axles, unless you lay on the ground with a flashlight and look. The steer axles are very easy to see under the hood, if you look, again with a flashlight.

The following video is very good, even showing how easy the pads are to replace.

And this one shows things from a roadside DOT inspection point of view.

:popcorn:
So you think anyone will get on the ground to look? With a flashlight? Ive seen guys who haven’t done a pretrip in 30 years...

So you think anyone will get on the ground to look? With a flashlight? Ive seen guys who haven’t done a pretrip in 30 years...

I do it any time I touch a truck. I don't care about gate times or dispatch. I'm the one behind the wheel and I'm responsible for any fines that DOT may drop on me. Also don't want the next guy to catch something and flag it and have to deal with a purple shirt on a power trip because we're not buddies.

I am aware of the guys the neglect pre and post trips. That's why I'm even more vigilant and notate everything. I've had weeks where I'm putting vehicles out of service daily for one thing or another.

I do it any time I touch a truck. I don't care about gate times or dispatch. I'm the one behind the wheel and I'm responsible for any fines that DOT may drop on me. Also don't want the next guy to catch something and flag it and have to deal with a purple shirt on a power trip because we're not buddies.

I am aware of the guys the neglect pre and post trips. That's why I'm even more vigilant and notate everything. I've had weeks where I'm putting vehicles out of service daily for one thing or another.
You will never get everyone on that page, but even if the majority would write up defects, or deadline what should be fixed immediately, it would raise their eyes.

Thanks Swamp! I requested training on disk brake inspections a couple years ago when I was assigned one.

Management and Fleet maintenance told me that they would get me the info soon. Still waiting...