FedEx Freight | Furloughs again

Our terminal is using the pending furloughs as an excuse not to start the vacation bids, is this happening anywhere else?
Yes our center is doing same thing. No one on furlough nothing out of the ordinary going on. And our weak center manager and so called supervisors said it’s about alignment.WTH is that about but hell is par for our place it’s a ball of confusion everyday all day

Yes our center is doing same thing. No one on furlough nothing out of the ordinary going on. And our weak center manager and so called supervisors said it’s about alignment.WTH is that about but hell is par for our place it’s a ball of confusion everyday all day
Sounds like us, when you are trying to make reservations for a summer vacation, it really screws things up. Last year the first round of vacations wasn't done till March. It's poor leadership, any excuse not to do their job.

I've been wondering why fedex would psy people to stay home. Anyone know why the corporation is doing this?

There’s not enough work for the drivers they have, so instead of losing the bottom guys that would be starving because of losing runs, they’re hoping it picks back up in a few months and they won’t have to hire new guys and train them.

If it picks back up before the furloughs end they can call people back to work.

I've been wondering why fedex would psy people to stay home. Anyone know why the corporation is doing this?
Every company has spent the last 18mo trying to hire. Drivers are hard to attract given the dismal pay and benefits, so when Fx does snare one, they want to keep them. It's slower now, but it won't always be that way. $300wk is less than peanuts to Fx, and given the short time they have to pay it, they're only looking at roughly $3600 to retain an employee that otherwise would be gone forever.

So I’m hearing this is job class seniority within company seniority. Can someone help me understand this? I have 12 years with the company but only 1 of those years is driving. I’ve applied to it, but I’m wondering if I will get it based on how they worded it.

Last edited:
So I’m hearing this is job class seniority within company seniority. Can someone help me understand this? I have 12 years with the company but only 1 of those years is driving. I’ve applied to it, but I’m wondering if I will get it based on how they worded it.
My understanding is straight Company seniority. That was the case when I was offered it, a month or two ago. I passed this time.

Seems to me, H/R needs contacted. I don't recall ANY provision in policy for delaying vacation selection. None.

Cost cutting measures are in full swing.. Hang on because its not going to be a fun ride for some.
THIS, while profit margins are at record high levels... Go figure.

I'd guess... Freight Brass trying to impress Corporate Brass. Singularly focused on THAT number, which is already insanely good.

Sadly, cost items like os&d claims reduction and accident reduction initiatives (long talked about) get put on the back burner... Again, sad. Missed opportunities

The ONLY exception I see would be the TDC. But that is a long term commitment that does promote the company and safety. Bragging rights with a return... AND it involves all opp-cos

Last edited: