SEFL | G & P Work

wild cheese

TB Lurker
Credits
I am one of the bottom two guys on the seniority list at my terminal. Has anyone heard of Southeastern making the bottom two guys work for G & P? They told us that we will be gone for a week at a time. Basically, a great way to make someone quit. I know times are tough, but I was supposed to be P & D not G & P. As a single dad, I don't know how I am going to get this done. I cannot be away from home like that. I can't quit and I don't know what to do. Anyone else being made to do this? Where in the hell does G & P go to?

I am one of the bottom two guys on the seniority list at my terminal. Has anyone heard of Southeastern making the bottom two guys work for G & P? They told us that we will be gone for a week at a time. Basically, a great way to make someone quit. I know times are tough, but I was supposed to be P & D not G & P. As a single dad, I don't know how I am going to get this done. I cannot be away from home like that. I can't quit and I don't know what to do. Anyone else being made to do this? Where in the hell does G & P go to?

Two things.....I got money that says no one is MAKING the bottom 2 go.

Secondly....chances are you'd **** off someone with more senority that would love to go hit the road for the big bucks.

We would have several takers at my facility.

It was discussed in our meeting Monday. We were told and we asked....My question is has anyone else been approached with this at their terminal? If we have no takers on the G & P, they are starting at the bottom of the list. For many of us city drivers, five days out is a long time.

We had the same meeting and were told the about the G&P work. You have to ask your tm if you fall into a red terminal. That means one with a very high level of rotation and if your terminal is one of the ones doing that. Talk to your tm and tell him it doesn't work for you because of being a single father. If he doesn't listen keep going up the chain of command until it does. good luck we all need it right now.

if you go with G&P you will leave out on sunday nite and be gone all week. i was told that you would be on G&P's pay scale, they do not make what our line haul drivers make. i would tell them they had to lay me off, if i was a single father i wouldnt be going on the road or any situation. you were hired on as a city driver thats how it should be.

What if they say they are going to fire me? We all know that Southeasterns brags about not laying off anyone in like 58 years. I'm just afraid that they will fire me if I say that I can't. I don't know what to do.

if it was me i would tell me tm, i cldnt do it. if i didnt see any results there. i would make a phone call to lexington and see what happens there. i dont understand this whole G&P thing its all BS, i talked to 2 G&P drivers today, hanging out at the Flying J in Colunbia. they told me they are living in truck stop parking lots. ! driver said he left out Sunday night, and has only turnd 700 miles. they are slow to. THis is just a back up plan management has to put money in there pockets. If you go and work for G&P, do you think they are going to pay you for holding the truck stop down, while you are waitng to get dispatched, I was told they get $50.00 a day for lay over pay.

if you go with G&P you will leave out on sunday nite and be gone all week. i was told that you would be on G&P's pay scale, they do not make what our line haul drivers make. i would tell them they had to lay me off, if i was a single father i wouldnt be going on the road or any situation. you were hired on as a city driver thats how it should be.

I must say that here, mikejones234 has a point. You were hired as a city driver. You as a single father cannot leave your kids for that period of time. Talk to your leadership and seek other opportunities that allow you to be home every nite. But on the flip side I would not ask for a layoff. After a small time period of layoff you loose your benefits and COBRA is not cheap. Present your case as a hardship case and I think you will find a way out so your family does not suffer more than is required. Now having said that, the Cassles are giving you the opportunity to work and get paid for your time.Thousands of others have not that recourse to fall upon. The Cassles are making sacrifices at their own expense to ease the rank and file's pain and hardships due to the stagnant economy. So in my opinion, you must look b4 you leap. Your children must be the winners in the end. Your sacrifices for their environmental stability(s) of your children should remain your core objective. Does this suck? Absolutely it does. But the loss of benefits and income will be more detrimental to your outcome than if you tough it out. You are a strong associate that will overcome, the cassels see that. That's why you were hired. Make your intentions known, and alternatives will become apparent. Remember this: You are not alone in this plight. Keep you head up, always keep your head up, for the first time you lower it, you will miss the chance to improve your situation!!! Move in a forward direction at all times and you will never be side tracked.

bsnjuem you are correct. Wild Cheese first find out if your barn is Green, Yellow or Red. Only the Red centers will even be considering the G&P work. Even then I can't believe this company would force a single father to go over-the-road for a week. Which barn do you run out of? There are resources out there and on here. You have a great company that has lots of well intentioned folks working for it. You should not worry. Bottom line your family and your children have to come first.

you are just a number with this company now, and if you dont perform to there expectations you are written up or discharged, just come to COL and ask drivers here.

Put it in Gods hands and he will solve this for you. Explain(not whine) your problem about being a single father and any TM with half a heart will understand. If that does not work go straight the the God loving owners and they will make this good.

you are just a number with this company now, and if you dont perform to there expectations you are written up or discharged, just come to COL and ask drivers here.

Mikejones234, I respect your opinion(s), but they are just that- opinions. Here's a thought, in my opinion, your thoughts and opinions could be a little bit more positive oriented.Kind of like being part of the solution, not part of the problem.

Put it in Gods hands and he will solve this for you. Explain(not whine) your problem about being a single father and any TM with half a heart will understand. If that does not work go straight the the God loving owners and they will make this good.

Well said , and I know the outcome will be just as you said: they will make this good!!!!

i try to think positive with the way things are. i have one of the longest runs at my barn, i usually average around 215 miles when it was busy, now i do like 130. but what makes me mad the most is when they start throwing paper trails on good drivers who work hard and respect this company. today i seen over half our drivers called in and written up, over stuff that happened 2 months ago. heres an example that really pissed me off. a driver went to a customer who had a dropped trailer there. the driver got there and the guy on the dock told him there was a few pallets left to load, but they guy on the dock was doing other stuff too, so the driver took his pallet jack and load the rest of the pallets i think it was 8. this happened 2 months ago, alright today he was called in and he was told that they only received 29 skids, but he signed for 30. the driver was written up. i mean come on that is pushing it. this driver has 15 yrs with the company never had an accident and he said was the 1st time he was ever written up.

i try to think positive with the way things are. i have one of the longest runs at my barn, i usually average around 215 miles when it was busy, now i do like 130. but what makes me mad the most is when they start throwing paper trails on good drivers who work hard and respect this company. today i seen over half our drivers called in and written up, over stuff that happened 2 months ago. heres an example that really pissed me off. a driver went to a customer who had a dropped trailer there. the driver got there and the guy on the dock told him there was a few pallets left to load, but they guy on the dock was doing other stuff too, so the driver took his pallet jack and load the rest of the pallets i think it was 8. this happened 2 months ago, alright today he was called in and he was told that they only received 29 skids, but he signed for 30. the driver was written up. i mean come on that is pushing it. this driver has 15 yrs with the company never had an accident and he said was the 1st time he was ever written up.

This very scenario that you said was covered under your posts of covering your every act and crossing every t and dotting every I. In my opinion this driver, showed impatience and a aggressive behavior that resulted in a corrective action..... Work with your dispatcher and b prepared for ridicules of city gov.

Everyone has a valid point but bottom line, parking lot meetings,crying on the phone to "other drivers" will not solve your problem. This company does beleive in "family" and if you present your case to your manager and I'm sure something will be done to help you. I know that in the major part of sefl terminals someone will step up for you and as someone else said earlier, put your faith in God! It doesn't effect me but I'll say a prayer for you an your family, good luck!

I will agree with poopoohead wow that is funny I am no saint and have been on the carpet enough for all of us but FAMILY is first with these people I can name 3 different times that I have made the call to the TM about serious family stuff and it has always been take care of your FAMILY and let US (SOUTHEASTERN) know if we can help no matter how bad it gets if you have any kind of drivers like my house some one will step up and bite the bullet in your time of need good luck with this try to keep a good attitude from experience it will get you wrote up slow times are not