XPO | Garbage and lift gate freight

So true. My barn has four liftgates and three of them would have one or two liftgate stops and maybe three dock bumps. The run I would have would have four liftgates and 8 dockbumps. And the liftgate stop would be off my route, so I would have to run my ass off to complete the run. So you are absolutely right the the heavy liftgate run goes the the peddler and the slob get the easy run
They know you have work ethic and pride.
They want to avoid confronting slacker. Least path of resistance is you.
They also know you won’t like it,but will do it.
The more you do,the more they will give you.
Good guys finish last.....

They know you have work ethic and pride.
They want to avoid confronting slacker. Least path of resistance is you.
They also know you won’t like it,but will do it.
The more you do,the more they will give you.
Good guys finish last.....
Oh ya. It kinda why I’ve been running linehaul for awhile. Let them see the difference in work ethic.

I’ve found that a steady constant pace is better than “running hard” because when you get in a hurry your chances of hitting things increases. Not doggin you driver; just saying don’t let leaderships poor planning cause you problems. If all the freight delivers then great. If two come back then great. I keep the same pace and them worry about their screwups on the dispatch side.
I just knew my route and could plan on where delays could happen and what streets were close to each other.

This is interesting cause the service manager at xcv just told all of us on Thursday that they were in a position to turn down more of that junk freight because there just isn’t enough drivers industry wide to ship everything. He said we should start noticing less and less of it, but maybe that’s just in Carlstadt / the northeast .

However he did admit that because there just isn’t enough flatbed trucks out there, and because ups/fedex are gonna charge a flat rate of $750 on any long ugly freight that weighs over 150lbs, that they are being asked more and more to pick it up.

All this flat bed freight belongs on a damn flat bed. Shippers want us to take it because flat bed charges three times what we do. If they are charging that much, it's for a reason. And everyone that hauls that junk on the cheap is just foolish.

I called and did dock pickup on my home delivery. Thanks and your welcome XGR.

Good for you as well. I think you know what it was going to look like by time it got to you. And that minimizing the handling of your freight was increasing the value of your shipment.

Does anyone get in trouble for damaging freight anymore?
Well, this 2.0 so far is kinda silly. I get it, holding fos accountable for all loads. Have to stop, go get the fos and get his ok to double stack freight, and to close the trailer. We shall see if it continues.

:15::15:
I’ve found that a steady constant pace is better than “running hard” because when you get in a hurry your chances of hitting things increases. Not doggin you driver; just saying don’t let leaderships poor planning cause you problems. If all the freight delivers then great. If two come back then great. I keep the same pace and them worry about their screwups on the dispatch side.
Same steady pace and keep in mind always that safety is first

Well, this 2.0 so far is kinda silly. I get it, holding fos accountable for all loads. Have to stop, go get the fos and get his ok to double stack freight, and to close the trailer. We shall see if it continues.
one of the FAC my barn goes to went to this new system, it lasted a week. Now they went back to the way we did it before and there reasoning was lack of staffing on the management end.

Am I dreaming or is it just me, because it seems like we’re getting a whole lot more garbage freight,(defined as big,ugly, and poor load ability... other carriers won’t tough this stuff i.e. OD,New Penn etc.,), along with more lift gate freight? For example, I had 2 industrial blowers that had to be unloaded with a crane the other day. Out of 11 dispatches, 9 were with liftgate trailers, until I complained and now a junior man is getting them. Bottom line, is this our future working these kinds of loads till we get frustrated to the point that we quit the industry so that we won’t go into retirement as cripples or what?
Garbage/Liftgate Update Alert!!! This morning I came in and looked at the route assignments and there were about half a dozen of them highlighted in yellow. Our inbound super explained to us at these routes were going to be delivered by xpo last mile drivers. Then our SCM came in and told us that we’re being freed up from residentials, liftgate deliveries by these last mile guys. Thank you last mile!!!

Am I dreaming or is it just me, because it seems like we’re getting a whole lot more garbage freight,(defined as big,ugly, and poor load ability... other carriers won’t tough this stuff i.e. OD,New Penn etc.,), along with more lift gate freight? For example, I had 2 industrial blowers that had to be unloaded with a crane the other day. Out of 11 dispatches, 9 were with liftgate trailers, until I complained and now a junior man is getting them. Bottom line, is this our future working these kinds of loads till we get frustrated to the point that we quit the industry so that we won’t go into retirement as cripples or what?
Anybody out there being relieved of their junk residentials and liftgate freight?

Anybody out there being relieved of their junk residentials and liftgate freight?
No. Not here. Not yet...Are the last mile people based out of your building and your dock? Do they answer to your dispatch if they haul your freight?

What happens if a delivery of what was originally XPO Freight's "junk freight" by XPO Last Mile has a problem or an issue with the customer?

1.) Last mile driver uses foul language while delivering and customer complains

2.) Last Mile driver backs delivery truck up and messes up yard in process of delivery and customer complains

3.) There's damage to the freight and customer complains

In any of the examples given , who handles this and who gets the blame when it happens? When it's slow do the XPO Freight people have the option of keeping the stops? Ultimately , who decides what freight is "junk freight" for delivery by XPO Last Mile people?

No. Not here. Not yet...Are the last mile people based out of your building and your dock? Do they answer to your dispatch if they haul your freight?

What happens if a delivery of what was originally XPO Freight's "junk freight" by XPO Last Mile has a problem or an issue with the customer?

2.) Last Mile driver backs delivery truck up and messes up yard in process of delivery and customer complains

In any of the examples given , who handles this and who gets the blame when it happens? When it's slow do the XPO Freight people have the option of keeping the stops? Ultimately , who decides what freight is "junk freight" for delivery by XPO Last Mile people?
Honestly it doesn’t matter.

Honestly it doesn’t matter.
Maybe not to you. But , to a driver who has a job based on delivering and picking up freight it could and would matter just as much as subservice picking off runs.

Especially if the Last Mile deliveries are cheaper ( which I am guessing they are ) How do you boil a frog? Turn up the heat slowly so it doesn't notice...

Do they have Last Mile in Canada?

Last mile drivers are not based out of our sic. They have their own small liftgate box trucks that I assume they own or are paying on that they take home after work. I think I heard my scm say that they are contracted by xpo to specialize in doing house/liftgate work.As far as answering to our dispatch, I only overheard an fos and a last mile driver talking about returns, so I would say ‘kind of’ to that question. As far as last mile drivers having issues on the street, I don’t know how they’d be resolved.All I do know however, is that I don’t have to deal with throbbing shoulders at night from a heavy liftgate day. Our i/b super said that all of our liftgate trucks all hit the street with not one of them with a single liftgate delivery on them...only out there strictly for capacity for regular p/d purposes. Also, our scm said that we’d have a LIFE now by going home after 10 hours instead of 12. I’m all for that,

Maybe not to you. But , to a driver who has a job based on delivering and picking up freight it could and would matter just as much as subservice picking off runs.

Especially if the Last Mile deliveries are cheaper ( which I am guessing they are ) How do you boil a frog? Turn up the heat slowly so it doesn't notice...

Do they have Last Mile in Canada?
Yep. Mostly ikea and Home Depot stuff. Work out af a different shared warehouse. They don’t do any of our deliveries.