XPO | Garbage and lift gate freight

2.) Last Mile driver backs delivery truck up and messes up yard in process of delivery and customer complains
I had it happen to me, bought a washer and dryer from Lowes, 2 guys with baggy pants and Lowes t-shirts pull into my driveway, deliver said washer and dryer. Then it all goes south, the driver tries to do a uturn on my grass, sinks it to the axel, and a wrecker is called ( he did say he was sorry). I was told by Lowes that the carrier (XPO) would pay for damages, it took 6 months and an attorney to get paid.

I had it happen to me, bought a washer and dryer from Lowes, 2 guys with baggy pants and Lowes t-shirts pull into my driveway, deliver said washer and dryer. Then it all goes south, the driver tries to do a uturn on my grass, sinks it to the axel, and a wrecker is called ( he did say he was sorry). I was told by Lowes that the carrier (XPO) would pay for damages, it took 6 months and an attorney to get paid.
This is why sometimes it is better to go to you local mom and pop store for appliances. You my pay a little more but the service is 100% better

Talked to Lowes managers at a couple different locations ( 3 to be exact) when making returns pick ups . When they see I’m from Xpo they initiate the conversations by our association with last mile. They go on and on how bad last mile contractors are. Showing up to store location and having to be turned away because their high on something, stealing electrical cords from appliances and selling them to customers at delivery, damaging property and on and on. I feel obligated to explain were different entity from them and only associated by parent company.
I have read reviews on line and it pretty much confirms what the Lowe’s people are saying. I here Jacobs and crew touting how successful last mile is so that leave me thinking their either out of touch with reality or purposely painting a picture of their service.

This is why sometimes it is better to go to you local mom and pop store for appliances. You my pay a little more but the service is 100% better
I agree ... you get what you pay.
The neighbors down the road had a refrigerator delivered by last mile and they took out their mailbox backing into the driveway. That was 3 months ago and their still battling with last mile.
The neighbor came to me and asked if I worked with these guys.
It’s embarrassing having to be associated by name with those guys.

Last edited:
I bought a washer from a local mom and pop shop this summer. Me and the Mrs happened to be at Lowe’s the nex day and I noticed the same washer for over $100 less. I was a little miffed considering I asked when I bought it if they could do a little better if I paid cash. The place I bought it did match the price, and I hate being like that. But $100, that’s a lot.

I agree ... you get what you pay.
The neighbors down the road had a refrigerator delivered by last mile and they took out their mailbox backing into the driveway. That was 3 months ago and their still battling with last mile.
The neighbor came to me and asked if I worked with these guys.
It’s embarrassing having to be associated by name with those guys.

Lucky it was only the mail box. Did you explain to them how hard it is to get money out of these XPO people ?

Lucky it was only the mail box. Did you explain to them how hard it is to get money out of these XPO people ?
To be honest I told him we have no association with them other than the same parent company . My neighbors an attorney I get the feeling they’ll regret throwing him off for to long.

When it's slow do the XPO Freight people have the option of keeping the stops?

I look at it like dock work. Either you're willing to do it or you're not. If you're willing to do it to keep from losing hours, then you should be willing to do it period- and not complain about being out there. If it's garbage freight that will just get you hurt or risk an accident or a claim, then how many hours you're getting a week shouldn't make any difference. It's not reasonable to expect the company to ask you if today is a good day for you to work the dock or make a residential delivery.

Especially if the Last Mile deliveries are cheaper ( which I am guessing they are )

I dunno- they make less per hour, but there is more than one person in the truck. Our fleet is huge, so operating costs are diluted far more than a contractor with 2 trucks. Plus, that's hundreds of dollars in liftgate and residential fees that we don't get for each delivery. I wouldn't be surprised if it costs more to give that stuff to Last Mile.

I dunno- they make less per hour, but there is more than one person in the truck. Our fleet is huge, so operating costs are diluted far more than a contractor with 2 trucks. Plus, that's hundreds of dollars in liftgate and residential fees that we don't get for each delivery. I wouldn't be surprised if it costs more to give that stuff to Last Mile.
Then XPO should take the next logical step: keep the "junk freight" and assign dockworkers when and where they are needed and the appropriate equipment to deliver big and/or awkward freight.

The increase in efficiency and decrease in injuries would help pay for the changes. Also , sales could seek out MORE of this type of business if an effort was made to adapt XPO Freight's system to legitimately handle "junk freight"

So I’m curious. Doesn’t Xpo charge extra for lift gate or home delivery? YRC charges fees for both. Higher fees discourage both

Usually, YRC changes around 150.00 or more depending on who it is. Sometimes that too is discounted

Sounds about right- last time I remember seeing it, residential was 60 or 70, and liftgate was close to 170. No idea what it is now, but yeah, all of those fees are negotiable if they want the freight badly enough.

Sounds about right- last time I remember seeing it, residential was 60 or 70, and liftgate was close to 170. No idea what it is now, but yeah, all of those fees are negotiable if they want the freight badly enough.

But we keep hearing about how even with the fees that ugly freight isn't worth what it costs. That we are supposed to be moving further away from junk freight. Because the market is tight and short on drivers. And that we can make better money hauling easier freight. Both in location of pick up and delivery as well as the difficulty of handling the actual freight itself.

But we keep hearing about how even with the fees that ugly freight isn't worth what it costs. That we are supposed to be moving further away from junk freight. Because the market is tight and short on drivers. And that we can make better money hauling easier freight. Both in location of pick up and delivery as well as the difficulty of handling the actual freight itself.
Just told at our shift briefing this morning that as of next Monday xpo will no longer pick up uncrated freight such as a bundle of banded only steel bars. It’s got to be in a crate beginning next week or it will have to take a ride on our competition’s trucks.I Hope they’re serious!!! If they are,then we definitely are on our way to shedding a significant heap of garbage freight!!!

The problem is the other carriers are charging more for odd freight and we are the cheapest out there, so I hear.