Garden Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 5115
  • Start date
I usually by my seeds from Burpee Seed. They have my E-Mail address and notify me in Feb. about free postage for all orders for one or two days. Soon I will take inventory on what's left from last year and what I want from them. While I would prefer to just buy plants (they are like $.50 or $.75 each here) I got burnt with the wrong kind of plant too many times. I am working on a hot sauce recipe so I'll do more in peppers this year and I'll probably have about a dozen tomato plants of different varieties. Have to plant extra to allow for deaths and animal intrusions. For sweet corn I get 'Yellow Bodacious' from my local feed store. It's a very sweet yellow corn, I prefer yellow corn. Last year I got burnt on my string bean seeds. Bought bush bean seeds and got some kind of pole beans that had horrible strings on the beans making them sickening to eat with that string that had to be pulled out of the mouth. Makes me wonder what they're doing.
I always order the stringless beans. I can't stand them otherwise.

I'm not good at math, and anything involving numbers shuts down my brain, but this sounds like a ratio math problem if I am correctly understanding what you are asking. How much does it say use for 1,000 sq ft?

i cannot give an exact answer for your question regarding how much to use for 1,000 square feet, as they go into pounds per 1,000 square footage.

every time i try to look up the amount needed, it's always a different amount of pounds, never the same

i'd hate to "under" lime, then of course, i'd hate to "over" lime..

now this is all assuming of course, i need lime, and not magnesium....

i will not know what is needed, until i actually buy the pH meter.

i am trying to get some ideas from you gardeners, how much "might be" needed for such a small garden. this will also hold down my cost for either the lime or magnesium...

I think that they can't survive but it depends i think.In my garden i have only flowers and lately i use to call a cleaning services to clean the garden and the house also at http://www.aton.fi/ cause winter is starting and i want it clean so that when spring come i have only several things to clean.

I need some help here, if anyone can..??

I have a 15 x 15 garden.. or 17 x 17 if i go beyond the Arborvitae tree's...

i will be buying a soil tester, brand, model, cost is of not a concern

i will be testing the pH level in the soil

all i get is how much lime or fertilizer for a 1,000 square foot garden, but at 15 x 15, all i have is about....225 sq. feet...(give or take an exact measurement.)

so even if at 250/300 sq feet, how much lime would i need to use..???

thanks in advance to all that help/respond..
I'd say about 1/4 of what it says to use for 1000 sq ft.

I've never used lime but I know many folks do. Ever what amount you use, I don't think it will make a huge difference overnight. Once you get a general idea, just take it from there and test and adjust regularly.

I think that they can't survive but it depends i think.In my garden i have only flowers and lately i use to call a cleaning services to clean the garden and the house also at Ylläpitosiivous, siivouspalvelu, sopimussiivous ja toimistosiivous - Aton Oy cause winter is starting and i want it clean so that when spring come i have only several things to clean.
Well I can't say as I have ever cleaned my garden, but if I were to, I would hire Mr. Clean. He cleans anything.

I have tested my garden but not recently. I have tossed my clam shells out there for quite a few years and there are so many that there are fragments all over. I figure that they will leech lime for a good long time. I think I'm going to move my garden to a different spot this year because my corn is not producing large ears anymore.

I have tested my garden but not recently. I have tossed my clam shells out there for quite a few years and there are so many that there are fragments all over. I figure that they will leech lime for a good long time. I think I'm going to move my garden to a different spot this year because my corn is not producing large ears anymore.
Crop rotation is a good idea for everything. Even better if you can plant something to enrich the soil with nutrients that the previous crop depleted. Beans are good for adding nitrogen, but anything else, I would have to do some research.

I'm totally redesigning my garden for this year. I'm going to make it in sections with pathways between them so I won't be walking on the growing areas and compacting the soil.

I have a pretty big patch, rotate stuff around and every year some of it goes fallow but it's just not producing like it used to. My neighbor explained he had same problem way back when I started mine up here.

I have heard of that but I have bad soil conditions. High clay content and wet during all but hot, dry summer months, then it dries out good and hard. Tilling it in the spring is a challenge and fall is pretty much out of the question for tilling it then planting something like that. I think they call them 'manure crops' as they provide nutrients to the soil.

Crop rotation is a good idea for everything. Even better if you can plant something to enrich the soil with nutrients that the previous crop depleted. Beans are good for adding nitrogen, but anything else, I would have to do some research.

I'm totally redesigning my garden for this year. I'm going to make it in sections with pathways between them so I won't be walking on the growing areas and compacting the soil.

can't say for sure, but i thought that Rye grass is what the farmers plant for the nitrogen..???

yep, i just looked it up....

9 Things To Know About Annual Ryegrass - No-Till Farmer