FedEx Freight | Gate proceedures.

Guardrail

TB Legend
Credits
I'm starting this thread to gain some attention to the big differences between terminals regarding gate procedures when entering or leaving a FedEx National terminal. Maybe someone will see this thread and decide that standardization would make our jobs easier.

I will compile all the info as it comes in.

How does it work at your terminal? If you want you can PM me and I will include the info.

Last edited by a moderator:
KCM

Pedestrian traffic uses the key pad to enter and leave the property. We each have our own code code.

Exit procedures and rules for trucks.

1. Guard checks all seal numbers and equipment numbers. If they are wrong you will be turned around and wrote up.
2. Empty trailers (without a seal) are inspected by the guard to verify they are empty. Locks will be opened by the driver. Depending on the guard, the trailers will be opened by the driver.
3. Drivers will fill out the exit destination form with all equipment numbers, name etc. while the guard checks the trailers.
4. Wrong seal numbers are corrected by dispatch. If the load is from KCM, they print a new cover sheet. If it originated somewhere else, a seal discrepancy report is made. One copy is given to the guard and one is sent with the bills.

Enter

1. You must stop at the stop sign before entering. That's it...

SRT

1. Guard signs in all trucks and trailers that enter or leave yard.

2. All drivers park in same fenced area so the are signed in and out by guard also.

3. No empties are opened because drivers don't have a key.

CHR

1. Pedestrian traffic walks in and sign in at guard shack.

2. Drivers sign out key for truck and prepass.

3. Upon exit driver gives guard the bills and hook sheet with correct seal numbers so the guard can check all the paperwork. The guard keeps one copy of the hook sheet.

4. Empty trailers are opened by driver and checked by the guard, then closed and locked.

5. Entering the yard requires nothing but driving in the gate.

6. Last time I was at CHR they still use the gate pass if you are leaving in a bobtail.

Last edited by a moderator:
At CHR, we walk in and sign in at guard shack. Go start day on the computer, sign out key for truck and prepass, get hook sheet, go find truck, go hook trailers, weigh rig, get weigh ticket and staple to meet drivers trip sheet, check seals during pretrip and if they are wrong then we go to the dock and get a new cover sheet for the bills and initial were ever all the seal numbers are on all paper work,go back to dispatch and dispatch our self s and then go to the gate and give the guard the bills and the hook sheet so they can look at all paperwork and they keep one copy of the hook sheet. If the trailers are mty then the driver has to open the doors let them look inside and then lock the trailers before they leave. When coming back in the gate we just drive back threw and drop out and go to dispatch and sign every thing back inn. Walk to guard shack and sign out and go home.:Emoticon_digging:

That's the point of the post. I want to see how many terminals adopt their own procedures and try to get some attention to get them them standardized.

At SRT

Guard signs in all trks and trls that enter or leave yard.

All drivers park in same fenced area so the are signed in and out by guard also.

No mtys are opened because we don't have a golden key. ( not trusted, been discussed before LOL)

Hi ho hi ho it's off to work we go.

At SRT

No mtys are opened because we don't have a golden key. ( not trusted, been discussed before LOL)

What do you guys tell a DOT officer that wants to check your Haz mat on your trailer while in transit???

Don't you have to have access to the freight?? If you have a haz mat leak in transit, how do you stop the leak, just wondering?

We can't open those trls that have locks. If a DOT officer wants to open one of them I hope he has a way to cut the lock off. Same if it's leaking, we are screwed. Some of us share trucks so why not issue a key to the truck. Or have us sign one out every run. What about Sidney do they have a golden key?