ODFL | Getting Hired

elviscaprice

Banned
Credits
What's a new driver just finishing up school got to do to get hired at OD off the bat? I have offers from others to start, but would rather start with the best. Applied online at OD job site for a few open line haul positions, teams interest me the most. But not getting any replies other than one single denial email. Even tried visiting the Tolleson, AZ terminal, to apply, but was told to go online. Single and willing to move to any location to start.

As far as I know you have to go through our driving school to hire on off the bat. Go out and drive for someone else OTR for a year or two, get some experience and then try again. Oh, and when Billy responds to this thread (and he will) take everything he says, multiply it by 4, subtract 6 and don’t believe the rest.

As far as I know you have to go through our driving school to hire on off the bat. Go out and drive for someone else OTR for a year or two, get some experience and then try again. Oh, and when Billy responds to this thread (and he will) take everything he says, multiply it by 4, subtract 6 and don’t believe the rest.

I think Billy's on edge about grass cutting season, seems Ump and Fly failed their zero turn refresher course.

LOL, thanks Song...., I'll keep trying every time a new opening comes available as I gain experience with another outfit.

If you’re looking for a decent truckload carrier I would recommend CFI out of Joplin MO. I’ve been friends with the director of their training program since he and I were 10... good guy, and as good a truckload carrier as you’ll find.

What's a new driver just finishing up school got to do to get hired at OD off the bat? I have offers from others to start, but would rather start with the best. Applied online at OD job site for a few open line haul positions, teams interest me the most. But not getting any replies other than one single denial email. Even tried visiting the Tolleson, AZ terminal, to apply, but was told to go online. Single and willing to move to any location to start.

In 2010 I was in your situation and got in only because of right time, right place. I had to do 4 weeks of training here, driving with a driver trainer shot gun. It is possible, but in the current overstaffed environment of OD, it's extremely unlikely. Sorry, all you can do is apply. If you start elsewhere, as you'll likely have too, they'll require you have a full year before they'll hire you. It's either straight out of school, 1 year of experience or very rarely if someone is in between they'll put you completely through our in house school, again. OD's balance sheet is good, but right now the environment kinda sucks, just being straight with you.

Apply in Seattle. Our terminal only hires drivers fresh out of school that don’t know how to drive. The other terminals preferred drivers with experience. Linehaul might be too big for your britches kid as you ain’t gotten no winter experience under your belt,,,

Song, you hit the nail right on the head, Billy jumped on Elvis quicker than a dose of salts thru a widow woman!

Thanks for all the replies, Song, lhdrv, Seabreeze, Kenneth and BillyLo. I did get a response back from OD corporate.

"Yes, OD requires at least 1 yr. driving experience before they will hire on. Once you have that, please look for openings at RNO and we can consider you for a position if you meet all qualifications. Our drivers do require hazmat and triples certification, so please keep this in mind. Good luck and we look forward to hearing from you in the future!"

The only reason I asked here or tried was because in the OD hiring ads, they list this for qualifications necessary.

"1 year previous tractor trailer driving experience and/or be a graduate of a State Certified and Licensed truck driving school, acceptable to Old Dominion and/or have satisfactorily completed the Old Dominion truck driver training program."

I do have the hazmat, doubles & triples, tanker endorsements.

No problem, I've got a great opportunity with a highly recommended outfit in Fargo, ND. Would have preferred OD from the get go, but as Scarlet O'Hara says, " There's always tomorrow"

Thanks for all the replies, Song, lhdrv, Seabreeze, Kenneth and BillyLo. I did get a response back from OD corporate.

"Yes, OD requires at least 1 yr. driving experience before they will hire on. Once you have that, please look for openings at RNO and we can consider you for a position if you meet all qualifications. Our drivers do require hazmat and triples certification, so please keep this in mind. Good luck and we look forward to hearing from you in the future!"

The only reason I asked here or tried was because in the OD hiring ads, they list this for qualifications necessary.

"1 year previous tractor trailer driving experience and/or be a graduate of a State Certified and Licensed truck driving school, acceptable to Old Dominion and/or have satisfactorily completed the Old Dominion truck driver training program."

I do have the hazmat, doubles & triples, tanker endorsements.

No problem, I've got a great opportunity with a highly recommended outfit in Fargo, ND. Would have preferred OD from the get go, but as Scarlet O'Hara says, " There's always tomorrow"

Try sea, we needing city drivers and do hire out of schools. Call our hr in sea tomorrow kid you won’t regret it

Elvis, The last Line Driver hired in Seattle was straight out of driving school. He was required to drive several weeks with a city driver trainer then several weeks with a line haul trainer. He got a real education this past winter and had to learn real quick about winter driving so now he thinks hes a real pro..NOT. I dont know if were looking right now because its slow out here in the Pac NW but you might want to call SEATLE HR and talk to him as Billy said. And dont let Billy steer you wrong.. linehaul is not the cush job everyone thinks it is...Good luck