ODFL | Getting Hired

Elvis, The last Line Driver hired in Seattle was straight out of driving school. He was required to drive several weeks with a city driver trainer then several weeks with a line haul trainer. He got a real education this past winter and had to learn real quick about winter driving so now he thinks hes a real pro..NOT. I dont know if were looking right now because its slow out here in the Pac NW but you might want to call SEATLE HR and talk to him as Billy said. And dont let Billy steer you wrong.. linehaul is not the cush job everyone thinks it is...Good luck
I thought linehaul was for drivers who couldn’t make it as a city driver?

Elvis, The last Line Driver hired in Seattle was straight out of driving school. He was required to drive several weeks with a city driver trainer then several weeks with a line haul trainer. He got a real education this past winter and had to learn real quick about winter driving so now he thinks hes a real pro..NOT. I dont know if were looking right now because its slow out here in the Pac NW but you might want to call SEATLE HR and talk to him as Billy said. And dont let Billy steer you wrong.. linehaul is not the cush job everyone thinks it is...Good luck

All these drivers here think I was just making up, things run different in the pnw. We are looking for city drivers currently. Give it a try? Move out here and go to line if there’s an opening in the summer,,

Thanks for all the replies, Song, lhdrv, Seabreeze, Kenneth and BillyLo. I did get a response back from OD corporate.

"Yes, OD requires at least 1 yr. driving experience before they will hire on. Once you have that, please look for openings at RNO and we can consider you for a position if you meet all qualifications. Our drivers do require hazmat and triples certification, so please keep this in mind. Good luck and we look forward to hearing from you in the future!"

The only reason I asked here or tried was because in the OD hiring ads, they list this for qualifications necessary.

"1 year previous tractor trailer driving experience and/or be a graduate of a State Certified and Licensed truck driving school, acceptable to Old Dominion and/or have satisfactorily completed the Old Dominion truck driver training program."

I do have the hazmat, doubles & triples, tanker endorsements.

No problem, I've got a great opportunity with a highly recommended outfit in Fargo, ND. Would have preferred OD from the get go, but as Scarlet O'Hara says, " There's always tomorrow"
Each terminal is it's own little world, so it's either that terminal manager doesn't want to hire someone straight out of school or he doesn't understand that's he's able too. Both are strong possibilities. Trust me, had to call hr and corp more then once to get terminal to understand things they are allowed/not allowed required/not required. Good luck to you.

If you’re looking for a decent truckload carrier I would recommend CFI out of Joplin MO. I’ve been friends with the director of their training program since he and I were 10... good guy, and as good a truckload carrier as you’ll find.

It isn't the same owners anymore is it? It went through Con-Way and now a Canadian company didn't it?