FedEx Freight | Going to be more like freight??? (heard it thruogh the grapevine)

ltlfan

TB Lurker
Credits
Ok so was anyone in the atlanta linehaul meeting that said by july we will opperate more like freight???

Less contractors?? :dance: Any info would be great thanks!!!!

Like i said i have no info other than what i said (not trying to stir the pot just asking).

Thanks!!!!!!!

I was talking to a contractor in San Bernadino in February who told me that all owner operators got notice that they were done as of June. I heard it again in Schaumburg the following week, but I've been on Short term disability since shortly after that, so I haven't heard anything else to confirm it.
I did hear something from a driver last week that the owner ops were told that if they form their own corporation, get their own authority and insurance such as Ground has, then they will be contracted back on again, but I haven't heard it from anyone else yet.

Now I don't work for Fed-X. In the Chicago area several contractors for Fed-X National have ads looking for drivers ALL THE TIME. It's seems as though they cann't keep them. Just my 2 cents.

[quote author=rwdfinch51 link=topic=79648.msg825359#msg825359 date=1272475863]
I was talking to a contractor in San Bernadino in February who told me that all owner operators got notice that they were done as of June. I heard it again in Schaumburg the following week, but I've been on Short term disability since shortly after that, so I haven't heard anything else to confirm it.
I did hear something from a driver last week that the owner ops were told that if they form their own corporation, get their own authority and insurance such as Ground has, then they will be contracted back on again, but I haven't heard it from anyone else yet.
[/quote]

I was told this back in Jan.
I am unsure when the start date was set for , so June could very well be it.

You have All Heard the term Power Only by now...Well here is the definition of Power Only........All of the present contractors have been told that they have to get their own authority, take Fed Ex off the door, hire their own drivers, and Carry their own ins. including Cargo Ins.... They have to have a minimum of like 4 trucks (maybe more, those with less are history).... They will then Contract to FX as Power Only units.... Meaning they be just like Doug Andrus,Walmart or any of the other Purchase Transportation we use, only they will still pull our trailers.....

How does this effect the Company Driver ?

I have not been told this , but it is not hard to figure.

Here is a example....Take the Satellite yards, or any other location where they decided to fill out with contractors instead of company trucks....That's no big deal because, contractors bid after company men...if your last on the board , lets say #35 out of 70 and the remaining 35 are contractors you were in great shape, because you had 36 bids to pick from.......Now with this New set up because, Power only (Purchase Trans.) contracts there loads,bids 36 thur 70 will go away and....... #31,32,33,34,35 will be Bottom of the board and probably Extra board and covering vacations ect since they are now low man.....

Well if that new O/O model comes to pass, things are gonna change big time at freight also. Is this a trial balloon or something else. I mean with all the mgmt. shake -ups, If it is true that people from ground are taking over at Harrison. This may become a bit ugly.

[quote author=fatneck link=topic=79648.msg825559#msg825559 date=1272550903]
Well if that new O/O model comes to pass, things are gonna change big time at freight also. Is this a trial balloon or something else. I mean with all the mgmt. shake -ups, If it is true that people from ground are taking over at Harrison. This may become a bit ugly.
[/quote]

Ya'll don't have O/O at FXF, so I don't see how it will change things for ya'll.

[quote author=ls57racer link=topic=79648.msg825469#msg825469 date=1272508735]
You have All Heard the term Power Only by now...Well here is the definition of Power Only........All of the present contractors have been told that they have to get their own authority, take Fed Ex off the door, hire their own drivers, and Carry their own ins. including Cargo Ins.... They have to have a minimum of like 4 trucks (maybe more, those with less are history).... They will then Contract to FX as Power Only units.... Meaning they be just like Doug Andrus,Walmart or any of the other Purchase Transportation we use, only they will still pull our trailers.....[/quote]

The reason for this is to avoid the lawsuits that FedEx Ground is getting hammered with.
In many (most) of those cases, single-route contractors were found to be misclassified.
However, courts have recognized that multi-route contracts were OK.
This is alot like how the USPS runs their operations.

Out here we have a few PT companies and the contractors that are here have heard a rumor that fedex is trying to get it down to one major carrier to come in and replace all others. Which would be bad for some here but good for the company drivers here at this yard. So i hope that this rumor comes thur :shift:

[quote author=Mike432 link=topic=79648.msg825468#msg825468 date=1272508606]
Now I don't work for Fed-X. In the Chicago area several contractors for Fed-X National have ads looking for drivers ALL THE TIME. It's seems as though they cann't keep them. Just my 2 cents.
[/quote] they 1099 u for taxes i was there for 5 mths in sch il

[quote author=Mike Varnco link=topic=79648.msg825769#msg825769 date=1272603126]
You have All Heard the term Power Only by now...Well here is the definition of Power Only........All of the present contractors have been told that they have to get their own authority, take Fed Ex off the door, hire their own drivers, and Carry their own ins. including Cargo Ins.... They have to have a minimum of like 4 trucks (maybe more, those with less are history).... They will then Contract to FX as Power Only units.... Meaning they be just like Doug Andrus,Walmart or any of the other Purchase Transportation we use, only they will still pull our trailers.....[/quote]

The reason for this is to avoid the lawsuits that FedEx Ground is getting hammered with.
In many (most) of those cases, single-route contractors were found to be misclassified.
[/quote]Would hiring illegals without having the proper permits be one of them?

[quote author=Italian Style link=topic=79648.msg826240#msg826240 date=1272754287]

[/quote]

Always stirring th pot....Nice try, but no cigar..

[quote author=ls57racer link=topic=79648.msg826319#msg826319 date=1272769835]
[quote author=Italian Style link=topic=79648.msg826240#msg826240 date=1272754287]

[/quote]

Always stirring th pot....Nice try, but no cigar..
[/quote]
Did meatball say something? I think I missed it..(on purpose) :biggrin:

Heard from a reliable source, a FRANK H insider that in six months you will be FREIGHT !!! FRANK H is TOP MAN Northan Division. Any duplicate terminals within 20 miles of each other will be combined!!! Dovetailed in according to your new application filled out when FEDEX bought WATkins. I have nothing to gain by spreading this, I have a good run!!! just thought it worth mentioning since the source is HIGH UP !!! keep your eye on Hartford CT. , this is supposed to be the start of one big happy family!!! GOOD LUCK ALL !!!

[quote author=meatmilker link=topic=79648.msg827556#msg827556 date=1273155634]
Heard from a reliable source, a FRANK H insider that in six months you will be FREIGHT !!! FRANK H is TOP MAN Northan Division. Any duplicate terminals within 20 miles of each other will be combined!!! Dovetailed in according to your new application filled out when FEDEX bought WATkins. I have nothing to gain by spreading this, I have a good run!!! just thought it worth mentioning since the source is HIGH UP !!! keep your eye on Hartford CT. , this is supposed to be the start of one big happy family!!! GOOD LUCK ALL !!! [/quote]

The merging of duplicate terminals and certain SGA/operational functions is something I've advocated for a long time.
However, there is NO WAY they dovetail boards like that.
That would be a disaster.

My two cents:

These rumors have been flying around since FDX bought watkins. They will keep flying I am sure. I would like to offer my opinion on the topic.

We have very smart people at the top in this company, we really do. You can't turn an idea into a household name in a decade without savvy. That being said, they are smart enough to have a plan and stop the bleeding of cash in the freight division. They will not keep pouring money down a dry well(insert kinkos comment here)

Ask yourself where is the real money in the ltl industry? It is in the regional next day market. That is the bread and butter to the bottom line. We all know that. It is a fact.

Here comes the opinion part.

The folks in memphis tried the national thing, and due to the state of the economy, it didn't work for us. I think all along they planned on the eventual conversion of ntl into freight. Heck even kinkos got their own colors for their "Ex". Nationals ex is red and it will make rebranding the equipment a lot cheaper. I believe that thay will stop offering the national ltl service and focus exclusively on the fxf service model.

What that means to the people I can only guess. They tell us nothing until they want us to know, it gives us less time to complain about it. The folks who will find out first will be the customers. The company will approach them first with the exciting news that we are "streamlining their ltl shipping experience" and taking all of their freight up to fxf service. They will try to make believe it is the greatest thing since the self adhesive postage stamp. The customers will know first.

I think fxf will someday assimilate national like the borg does civilizations, and I think memphis knew it all along.

[quote author=Waffleman link=topic=79648.msg827777#msg827777 date=1273230028]
My two cents:

These rumors have been flying around since FDX bought watkins. They will keep flying I am sure. I would like to offer my opinion on the topic.

We have very smart people at the top in this company, we really do. You can't turn an idea into a household name in a decade without savvy. That being said, they are smart enough to have a plan and stop the bleeding of cash in the freight division. They will not keep pouring money down a dry well(insert kinkos comment here)

Ask yourself where is the real money in the ltl industry? It is in the regional next day market. That is the bread and butter to the bottom line. We all know that. It is a fact.

Here comes the opinion part.

The folks in memphis tried the national thing, and due to the state of the economy, it didn't work for us. I think all along they planned on the eventual conversion of ntl into freight. Heck even kinkos got their own colors for their "Ex". Nationals ex is red and it will make rebranding the equipment a lot cheaper. I believe that thay will stop offering the national ltl service and focus exclusively on the fxf service model.

What that means to the people I can only guess. They tell us nothing until they want us to know, it gives us less time to complain about it. The folks who will find out first will be the customers. The company will approach them first with the exciting news that we are "streamlining their ltl shipping experience" and taking all of their freight up to fxf service. They will try to make believe it is the greatest thing since the self adhesive postage stamp. The customers will know first.

I think fxf will someday assimilate national like the borg does civilizations, and I think memphis knew it all along.
[/quote] :drama:i think it was the plan all along they just didn;t want to doit untill yrc thing seatled down wait and see lots of top mgmt in harrisson going bi by they lost too much money with their big gamble that did;nt pay off

[quote author=meatmilker link=topic=79648.msg827556#msg827556 date=1273155634]
Heard from a reliable source, a FRANK H insider that in six months you will be FREIGHT !!! FRANK H is TOP MAN Northan Division. Any duplicate terminals within 20 miles of each other will be combined!!! Dovetailed in according to your new application filled out when FEDEX bought WATkins. I have nothing to gain by spreading this, I have a good run!!! just thought it worth mentioning since the source is HIGH UP !!! keep your eye on Hartford CT. , this is supposed to be the start of one big happy family!!! GOOD LUCK ALL !!!
[/quote] Total http://www.truckingboards.com/bb/Smileys/default/::shit::.gif No way seniority will be handled that way. They may merge us and consolidate some terminals but only after Company Hire Date Seniority is established as the final word on seniority. If you are referring to a source in HFD ? J. W. I remember him as a recent UK grad. He was in Chicago for the tough AF years there. He would never let this out of the bag early. He got things done. More rumors.

I think they in mgmt had a good idea in national , but timing could not have been worse , rising fuel prices ,bad economy and trying to drive yellow out . prices have been slashed by EVERYONE , no one is making money NO ONE! To many trucking co's , not enough freight ,price cuts just to get freight, OR's suck for everyone. At some point someone has to fold.

[quote author=jakeguiness link=topic=79648.msg828410#msg828410 date=1273429876]
I think they in mgmt had a good idea in national , but timing could not have been worse , rising fuel prices ,bad economy and trying to drive yellow out . prices have been slashed by EVERYONE , no one is making money NO ONE! To many trucking co's , not enough freight ,price cuts just to get freight, OR's suck for everyone. At some point someone has to fold.
[/quote]

They are not "trying" to drive YRC out, ... there is too little freight and too many trucks and the only way to get freight on the truck is pricing right now... The pie is only so big.They are surviving and it appears now even if the economy picks up, there won't be enough freight to satisfy all the trucking companies and the weak will eventually fall, thats the way business works, it's sad but it is what it is.