FedEx Freight | Going to be more like freight??? (heard it thruogh the grapevine)

Well I just interviewed for a job at Fed-Ex national now with this information about the merging of the two do not think it would be a good Idea to go for it.

I wen't thru a merger with Yellow/Roadway and the result is out of a job I have been working for Conway for 4 weeks now and I might have to just stay there because If I get hired and they merge I would be out of a job ??????????

What does everybody think ??????
xcsp

My questions would be - How big is the terminal that you will be working out of? Is there a Freight terminal nearby? Is your terminal on I-70 or I-80? Are you going for a city driver or a Road driver job? Capacity will be shrinking soon in LTL, Fedex has massive orders in for tractors and trailers and Nobody knows for sure if it will even happen.

[quote author=fatneck link=topic=79648.msg828562#msg828562 date=1273490655]
My questions would be - How big is the terminal that you will be working out of? Is there a Freight terminal nearby? Is your terminal on I-70 or I-80? Are you going for a city driver or a Road driver job? Capacity will be shrinking soon in LTL, Fedex has massive orders in for tractors and trailers and Nobody knows for sure if it will even happen.
[/quote]

The terminal for Fed-ex national is a small terminal with freight terminal maybe 15 miles away the terminal would be close to I-80 and yes it is for a road job. Why would they be hiring if they are going to merge the companys together ????????

Well I just had 1 interview so I might not have to worry about making a decision on quiting conway sure makes me think about not going to Fed-ex now because when they merge they will lose customers and will not need as many drivers.

xcsp

Well, I hope it all works out for you. We have several ex- Conway drivers at my barn, they were reconfigured out of a job at the Salem, Il. location. According to them our tractors are like a cadillac compared Conway equipment. They seem to like it OK. Everything is computerized here. I have worked for freight for 15 yrs. Fedex is hell-bent on absolutely dominating LTL in the years to come.

[quote author=fatneck link=topic=79648.msg828585#msg828585 date=1273501157]
Well, I hope it all works out for you. We have several ex- Conway drivers at my barn, they were reconfigured out of a job at the Salem, Il. location. According to them our tractors are like a cadillac compared Conway equipment. They seem to like it OK. Everything is computerized here. I have worked for freight for 15 yrs. Fedex is hell-bent on absolutely dominating LTL in the years to come.
[/quote]

Do you think I should jump over to national from Conway ????? If I get the chance to go ????? Or do you think after the merge I will be out of a job again and that I do not want to happen I need a job and need to keep working .
xcsp

There have been people on this forum as well as Freights' forum talking about a merger ever since FedEx bought Watkins. What I do know is all of the drivers I've met that came over to FedEx from Conway have for the most part been happy. Wether or not you should switch is up to you. There are never any guarantees in life. But as for myself, I'll believe the merger when it happens, and if it does happen I'll work with it just as I work with any changes that come along. And no, I am not a senior driver, but I'd rather work through the problems here than anywhere else I know of. Good luck with your decision.

[quote author=rwdfinch51 link=topic=79648.msg828598#msg828598 date=1273507093]
There have been people on this forum as well as Freights' forum talking about a merger ever since FedEx bought Watkins. What I do know is all of the drivers I've met that came over to FedEx from Conway have for the most part been happy. Wether or not you should switch is up to you. There are never any guarantees in life. But as for myself, I'll believe the merger when it happens, and if it does happen I'll work with it just as I work with any changes that come along. And no, I am not a senior driver, but I'd rather work through the problems here than anywhere else I know of. Good luck with your decision.
[/quote]

Thanks for your opinion I will have to decide when the time comes and If I get called back for a second interview ,

I am being careful because I was thru a merger with Roadway/Yellow and lost my job with 11 years seniority ,and it has taken me a while to get another job and it is with Conway and Yes I know I would be happier at Fed-ex national , but if I was to get layed off again after merger I cannot afford that to happen.

ok thanks again for the replys
have a great day
xcsp

[quote author=fatneck link=topic=79648.msg828562#msg828562 date=1273490655]
[/quote]
Forgive my ignorance but what would the terminal being near I 70 or I 80 have to do with one's decision to pursue a job or the whole rumored merger thing?

The Dallas FXN yard will be layed out like FXF numbered rows. We will start breaking down our sets if they are not a passing load.

[quote author=joe bucker link=topic=79648.msg829988#msg829988 date=1273931186]
The Dallas FXN yard will be layed out like FXF numbered rows. We will start breaking down our sets if they are not a passing load.
[/quote]

We already do this in Cincinnati.

There is NOT going to be a merger between National and Freight, the logistics would never, ever work, this talk has been going on and on and on-it will never happen, so if you get an offer from National, you would be crazy to not take it and stay at Conway--we have several ex-Conway drivers at our barn and I personally know 2 more who are in the process and will start soon--those already here said it was the best job decision they have made and the 2 that I know who are coming on board cant wait for there start day so that they can get away from Conway---take the job if it is offered to you.

[quote author=cocheesehead link=topic=79648.msg830181#msg830181 date=1273979638]
There is NOT going to be a merger between National and Freight, the logistics would never, ever work, this talk has been going on and on and on-it will never happen, so if you get an offer from National, you would be crazy to not take it and stay at Conway--we have several ex-Conway drivers at our barn and I personally know 2 more who are in the process and will start soon--those already here said it was the best job decision they have made and the 2 that I know who are coming on board cant wait for there start day so that they can get away from Conway---take the job if it is offered to you.
[/quote]

Not sure what "logistics" you are referring to. Mergers happen all the time in this industry. FedEx Freight used to handle the 3-5 day freight before it was handed to National and could just as easily go back to it. I don't claim to be any kind of expert so, if I'm missing something, please tell me.

They have a long history of keeping everything hush-hush until it's time to pull the trigger on a change. You will be able to see some signs if you are paying attention... like small changes in rules and procedures and things that don't seem important at the time but really become crystal clear after the big move is made. I know from experience that this is how Freight operates.

Could be, that National is hiring like crazy, because Freight is hiring like crazy. I think it's easy to see that if they did merge then all the National employees would become Freight employees...new hires and all. Also, they probably have the whole thing already mapped out and know where they will need the major increases in staffing. I do think it would be a lousy thing to do to someone. I mean, hire people who think they will be working for National, but the bosses know all along that they will all be working for Freight in a few months, or however long it may be. Of course, that could be why the corporate honchos keep it hush-hush, to give their subordinates "plausible deniability" to the situation. Just a thought.

As a Freight guy myself, I have always thought the merger would eventually happen. If, for no other reason but the costs associated with redundancy of operations in the same cities. I always saw this thing as two companies doing the work that one could do. Again, I'm no kind of expert...just the way I personally always saw it.

We don't know what the future holds for any of us. I wish everybody the best.

[quote author=cocheesehead link=topic=79648.msg830181#msg830181 date=1273979638]
[/quote]

While I've not been with National long, I have been in the trucking industry over half my lifetime and from what I can see on this merger rumor is that's all it is...a rumor. I agree with you cocheese. I don't think it's going to happen. To much money and resources being used to fine tune FXN long lanes for one thing, but I can see many other reasons why I don't think the merge will happen. I may be proved wrong later, but I doubt it. As far as the argument that FXF handeled 3-5 day lanes before so they could again, well they could before but right now they're to covered up with the short stuff to do anything else, that's why they're doing some hiring also.

[/quote]
Thanks for the replys will see if I get another call after the interview I Do not know how the interview wen't ,will have to wait and see if I get a callback ,then I will make a decision about jumping over from conway , But I Think I will go for it if I get a chance , will keep you posted .
they have a lot of applicants to interview,I hope with my million mile safe driving record will help me get the job :thumbsup:
xcsp

I know in Dallas unless FDX would would buy a couple of hundred acres of land they would not have enough room to merge us together. The FXF Dallas yard is almost at capacity and that is after FXF opened up EDA. Here at FXN we are goin good, I would assume this is the case in most big cities. But then again nothing is going to change. :stir:

Fedex bought Watkins because they were well established in Canada...they want all of north america..Notice how they Canada division took the Freight name and not National..National gives all of there Canada shipments to Freight...I here its very profitable..Our service centers on the border in Seattle are swamped with VBC freight..What the do with the rest of National who knows...I heard will will find out more in June..end of fiscal year.

[quote author=Jack Danuals link=topic=79648.msg830791#msg830791 date=1274148750]
Fedex bought Watkins because they were well established in Canada...they want all of north america..Notice how they Canada division took the Freight name and not National..National gives all of there Canada shipments to Freight...I here its very profitable..Our service centers on the border in Seattle are swamped with VBC freight..What the do with the rest of National who knows...I heard will will find out more in June..end of fiscal year.
[/quote]

SO they paid 3/4s of a Billion Dollars Cash just to get Watkins Canadian Authority and the SMALL Piece of the Pie they had established there....Now I am begining to understand.... :biglaugh:

[quote author=xcsp link=topic=79648.msg830239#msg830239 date=1274012786]
[/quote]
Thanks for the replys will see if I get another call after the interview I Do not know how the interview wen't ,will have to wait and see if I get a callback ,then I will make a decision about jumping over from conway , But I Think I will go for it if I get a chance , will keep you posted .
they have a lot of applicants to interview,I hope with my million mile safe driving record will help me get the job :thumbsup:
xcsp
[/quote]

If you get the chance...go!

While I don't know to much about FedEx I do know about Con-Way...and it is no place you would stay if offered a position elsewhere...sad to say.

Con-Way is an interim job...nothing more.

They will drop you in a heart beat given the chance...regardless of your performance...I will concede many companies do this...but we have it down to a fine science.

Too much BS and unpublished rules/policies...lots of situational ethics and abuse of common sense...

The Kool-Aid drinkers will have a field day over this...but it is what it is...

This company is struggling...bad!

There is one hell of a power struggle going on at the top...although no one will ever admit to it.

We are ruled by bean counters...the only thing understood is number crunching...they have absolutely no understanding of the LTL biz.

At least FedEx seems to be a on a definite path...going somewhere with a goal in mind.

Con-Way's only goal at the moment is to shrink its volume to profitability...which never works...although these bozos are going to try it. (Think YRC).

They have more freight than they can handle...don't have any idea how to deal with it...moving freight at record volumes and still not making any money at it.

At least FedEx has other divisions to bolster the freight end of things...Con-Way has nothing...in more ways than one.

Like I said...if you get the chance ...GO!

At the very least you will not have to worry about going to work and being told the company is folding...which is very real possibility with your current employer....

These people are in deep trouble...the analysts know it...the players in the biz know it...Wallstreet knows it...and they are trying to keep it a secret from the rank and file. It ain't working.

Rat

[quote author=Jack Danuals link=topic=79648.msg830791#msg830791 date=1274148750]
[/quote]

Fedex operates all over the globe and they needed to buy Watkins just to get across the border of our nieghbor country Canada? Please man..... :biglaugh:

King laugh if you want..But FXF was talking to its employees about moving into Canada way before they Bought Watkins.
We were turnng our freight to a different carrier for years..You dont just move into a different Country and set up shop all over it..You cant move into a state our a country and make money over night. it takes years. How long have you been doing this and you dont know that..do you really think they needed Watkins.. FXF does every zip code in the U.S...They have changed you to model them.

There was a 3 or 4 year period they had to wait before they can do anything with National..That time is up....I guess we shall see.