Gordon Food Service begins hiring in Kannapolis NC

One of our drivers at my work used to work in the warehouse at Sysco Cleveland and he told me one day the HR woman walked up to him and said "Well we changed you're schedule around and by Wednesday you should have 45 hours of work already in." He looked at her and went "45 hours, by Wednesday? Uhh okay I guess."

I bough Money Master the game on I-Tunes I'll listen to it today out driving in the car. I've read Dave Ramseys Total Money Make Over and Financial Peace as well as Entreleadership.

Really the trick with money is it is in the way that you use it.

When I was making $9.00 an hour working at the Pizza shop I started my carpet cleaning business. I lived at home and saved up and bought used equipment that I could afford and before long I was making still $9.00 an hour, but had my pick up truck and my carpet cleaning van and was running that business cleaning houses and apartments and the pizza shop I worked at they have a dinning room that's carpeted and they were naturally one of my accounts.

It's in the way that you use it. Obviously being unmarried and not having any kids and living at home helps a ton as well I realize this. I'm not much of a party person my life to some is probably extremely boring I get my kicks on free stuff, not because I'm cheap, but it's just what it is. Trucking Boards is free and the information is good so I get my kicks on here.

However I do enjoy traveling and going on adventures now and then when things come up and usually that costs a little bit of money to do, but I enjoy that stuff.

nf3iEHB.jpg

Yea, I'm 37 and my annual goal in company and personal contributions is $20,000 a year into 401k. That's $100,000 every 5 years from now, not to mention what I already have in there. That's $500,000 + in contributions when I retire. I hope to have more than a $1,000,000 when I retire. The power of Compounded interest is Enormous !! Btw, I live pretty good for a truck driver as well. A couple of motorcycles, home, luxury car.. Etc... Living good!!
I like your goals of investing for retirement. Nearly 20 years ago I was turned on to Dave Ramsey by a fellow driver and I became obsessed with getting out of debt. At the time I had a huge house payment, new F-150 payment and a new Harley Davidson payment, but luckily I had a very good income to support this and still invest in the 401k.
Thankfully in 2002 I achieved this goal by downsizing in house and it has made my life much less stressful! I still work hard and invest as much as I can, but I live well below my means. If I had listened to my Grandfather and his negative views on debt I could have been debt free much sooner, but I was hard headed and had to learn on my own terms. Also I like your watch, I bought a submariner 25 years ago, only because my best friend bought one. I didn't want him to out do me. I have lost the desire to keep up with my friends and their toys, but I still love my watch. It is very possible for most truck drivers to retire with dignity if they invest long term and increase their contributions as often as they can afford to do so. Some drivers with several kids and a stay at home wife it may take longer, but they can still start slowly and gradually work towards their goal. I'm 11 years closer to retirement than you as I am 48 and if everything continues as it has in the past, I can retire in 11 years and double my salary. However I love what I do and I hope that I don't ever have to retire. I want to be able to afford to retire, but I don't necessarily want to actually retire.

I was never a big fan of borrowing money. Like people rent furniture and stuff like that, there is really no need for that. When my brother moved to Kentucky from Cleveland he needed furniture to Craigslist I went and my parents bought him a fine living room furniture set for $200.00 it wasn't very expensive got a chair couch some glass tables worked well.

What do you guys like to invest in? Like when I start at GFS I want to get a 401K going. Also contribute the max $5,000 to my Roth IRA a year should be doable. I have some money tied up in some stagnate Franklin Temple Mutual funds that a nice lady at the bank said I should do, but any other suggestions? What do you guys like to do? I know IRA's and 401K is a good start and should be done, but other things can happen and should happen as well, because I know 401Ks and IRA's can be taxed. Plus they go up and down through gains and losses at times.

I know Dave Ramsey is big on mutual funds.

I have my 401K (Regular and Roth) in the aggressive growth fund. I have plenty of time before I retire. I have another IRA invested in similar funds. As I get closer to retirement, I'll move them all into more moderate funds. I don't worry mush about increase or decrease. I just put it the money in and forget about it. I've got 12% split between both 401k accounts, with a 1% increase every year. GFS has had around 8% profit sharing every year, deposited in our 401K every year. You have to be here 1 year to be eligible for the profit sharing. You have to be here 5 years to be completely vested in the profit sharing. If you leave before the 5 years, you lose the portion of the profit sharing that you aren't vested in.

What do you guys like to invest in? Like when I start at GFS I want to get a 401K going. Also contribute the max $5,000 to my Roth IRA a year should be doable. I have some money tied up in some stagnate Franklin Temple Mutual funds that a nice lady at the bank said I should do, but any other suggestions? What do you guys like to do? I know IRA's and 401K is a good start and should be done, but other things can happen and should happen as well, because I know 401Ks and IRA's can be taxed. Plus they go up and down through gains and losses at times.

I know Dave Ramsey is big on mutual funds.
I basically follow Daves advice which works for me. For my IRA's I use T.Rowe Price and I have 4 different type of funds with long track records. Growth, Growth and Income, Aggressive Growth and Foreign Funds. I have been happy with T.Rowe Price and you can invest in many different funds with them. A target date mutual fund might be good for you since you are young and they adjust the holdings as you age and get nearer to retirement age. For your 401k you probably will have to use the company that GFS uses but some companies allow you to self direct. I do the ROTH 401k and I don't get any tax deduction, but I won't have to pay taxes on the growth. The company GFS uses probably has a Financial Advisor you could speak with to discuss your specific goals.

I was reading the book that JD said to read and one thing that they were touting was index stocks.
I don't worry a whole lot about unrealized gains and losses either.

I was reading the book that JD said to read and one thing that they were touting was index stocks.
I don't worry a whole lot about unrealized gains and losses either.
Thats good that you don't worry because I am certain that you will see your portfolio go down and then back up many times in your lifetime. I enjoy seeing my net worth up, but I try to remind myself that when the market is down it is basically on sale. Every Friday my money goes in and when the market is down I get more shares that week.

Thats good that you don't worry because I am certain that you will see your portfolio go down and then back up many times in your lifetime. I enjoy seeing my net worth up, but I try to remind myself that when the market is down it is basically on sale. Every Friday my money goes in and when the market is down I get more shares that week.

You know Banker my brother works for a big time investment bank, he's in school through the bank right now to get his stock brokers license, right now he handles retirement 401Ks and stuff in the customer service department. He was the one who said yes losses accrue, but they are unrealized meaning over all you're not really out anything, because it all goes up and down. What's funny is it's usually like the price of gas it all hovers around the same thing. That's I think why when they say invest it's for the long term. Hopefully the stock and the value of the stock or fund or what ever goes up in a 10-20 year period of time. However month to month, week to week day to day dip up and down. Kind of like the long term price of gasoline sure we've all heard stories of gas being a nickle back in my grandfathers day, but look where it is now. It's certainly gone up in price (along with everything else) from the days of Standard Oil.

If you guys read that book JD posted about and I'm getting to the part where they talk about avoiding the fees, but a lot of stock brokers and financial people and accounts have maintenance fee's and this fee and that fee and I'll admit I pay some every year they charge me a maintenance fee to keep my IRA going, but these maintenance fee's and other fee's that they make up it all ads up to be a really big sum of money over the course of even as short as 10 years. All money that was earned the hard way that now someone is taking the easy way. We did all the work and they get all the reward. I'm not to deep into mutal funds besides $5,000 that I have in a fund that the bank put me in. However I'm not paying some big time broker to manage all that either.

You know back in the day people had pensions (a word that younger generations will not know. that's actually a statement that came from one of the managers at the pizza shop I used to work at one night we were talking about something and he said a word kids won't know is going to be pension.) then a little bit of social security to help with day to day expenses, and then some people if they wanted could put money in a Certificate of Deposit. Well in the early 1980s that's when 401Ks came out so they really have not been around super duper long, but people had pensions and social security as well as bank CDs that paid okay interest.

Now fast foward to today and bank CDs are all but worthless I had one and got rid of it the interest it was paying was like 1% well 1% of $10,000 is $100 a year I had the thing for 10 years and it did bump $1,000 up but at the same time it was really under performing and it was worth paying the fee to break the money out and put it into something else.

However I am interested in these index funds and I just have to figure out how I can invest in one of those and I'm not talking a lot of money, but maybe put $1,000 into one and see where it goes. I would almost do it my self, I don't know if I need to set up an E-Trade account or what?

That was a mouthful, even for you Mike! I happen to agree with you. I think that with what you already know about investing, what you learn in the future and with some guidance from your brother, you will be able to retire a wealthy man one day. I read a couple books years ago that I found interesting. They are The Millionaire Mind and The Millionaire Next Door by Dr. Charles Stanley. It may give you something to shoot for, I know it inspired me.

Banker you'll like this. Before I was in this business of transportation. I owned a carpet cleaning business did it for about 4+ years. A friend of mine who also owns a carpet cleaning business (who took over all of my accounts when I closed up shop) and I had a job to do this morning. It was one of my accounts that I gave to him and I was asked to go along to help facilitate the whole thing rather easily. Anyhow he was telling me while we were working this morning that he had won $50,000 on a scratch off lottery ticket.

I said to him "That's great."
He said that the first thing he did was paid off a lot of his bills. Said he still has his house payment he didn't pay that one off, but he said to me "Yeah I paid off all my credit cards and am totally debt free now on that end of my life."
He said that he accumulated some credit card debt probably when he was my age he's in his late 30s. So 10-15 years ago. I said to him "How does it feel to be debt free now?"
He goes "It's great I am never going back ever. He goes I was carrying a balance on my credit cards and I was able to make a little better then the minimum payments, but it was difficult because the interest was so high and it was just like geeze I am barely able to make ground and catch up. He goes I have no bills now besides my house payment and regular utility bills, he goes being free from all that credit card debt is just so nice. He goes I still have over $10,000+ dollars saved after I paid off my credit cards. He goes I sat down at the table once that money from the lottery cleared the bank and I wrote a check to one of the credit card companies for $3,000 and now they are out of my life.

It's nice now, I'm going to buy my dad a car were looking for cars and found a nice used one for $4,000 and everything is much better.

When I was in high school they told us credit card companies if you carry a balance will try to screw you on the interest which is how they make their money. My dad said credit cards are about one of the worst kind of loans you can get.

I don't have any credit cards my self and have no desire to really have one. They just don't interest me. I think credit cards are okay if you use them and pay them off fully at the end of the month, but when they get charged up and the bill comes and you have to make payments on them that's when a lot of people start to get in trouble and slowly but surely the credit card bills can start to get away from you and spiral out of control.

Sounds like your friend did good and spent his winnings wisely in my opinion. Debt is something that one can get into easily and more difficult to get out of. Unfortunately a lot of us, myself included don't realize the difficulties associated with debt until we're right in the middle of it. I know that I have learned most things better by doing and having a large amount of debt being one of those things. I can look back now and appreciate no longer having any debt, maybe better than if I had never had debt. My Grandfather, who had a 6th grade education, but happened to be one of the smartest people I have ever known. He tried to talk me in to building a smaller house. He also tried to talk me in to not buying a new Harley in the middle of building a new house less than a year after I had bought a new F-150. However with me being a 28 year old hard head at the time, I felt as I deserved all this and I later learned he was right. If it wasnt for my job at Frito Lay at the time and my ability to take longer, more difficult, better paying trips I probably would have been in a bind. Working harder was a good thing to help me remember what my Grandfather had tried to get me to do. Now I can pick loads more by where I want to go and take off early occasionally to enjoy life instead of worrying about paying my payments at the end of the month.

Food service is food service, yes sometimes will you will have complete idiot morons for bosses and a holes but that's any company. At my sysco opco we don't do 401k but the union pays almost $6.00 for every hour we work to the pension