Got a preventable at work!! What now?

JL__21

TB Lurker
Credits
Sorry guys new driver here. I'm a bit confused by how this whole thing works. I've had a minor preventable at work and I'm not sure if I should be worried about my personal driving record. I don't see anything on my psp report , is there anywhere else I should be looking? I was already considering looking for new employment now i am worried it could effect me. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

It will help to have more information like which company you work for, what kind of preventable accident , did you receive a ticket etc . Just guessing here but, unless it is a rear end accident you will have to talk to your safety department and watch training videos and sign a write up paper and go back to work

Preventable are a corporate way to punish those who scrape and break something that could have been avoided.

Lets say you racked up ... three preventables in 6 months. You are dismissed from employment for cause, DAC, Hireright etc are plastered with the damning details against you by your employer and all future employers refuse to hire you because you have too many accidents. You are then out of the industry for a minimum of three years. IF not also blacklisted.

You will still have a CDL and all that but since you are no longer ACTIVELY WORKING, you will need to go straight to your DMV and sign a Tier Two Document sworn to keep your CDL at a lower level and not working. That way it does not get downgraded when your DOT medical expires among other things.

Its a behind the scenes way of the industry, as in trucking companies to keep out the riff raff who constantly break stuff. Big and small. Whoops I hit it boss, Broke a mirror. PREVENTABLE. Whoops I was 10 minutes late now walmart wants a week before I come back with load. PREVENTABLE. WHOOPS I went 70 mph down Fancy GAP... PREVENTABLE.

Then fired. Gone. Finished. Wonder what happened? Thats what.

Never mind the political sound and fury over truckers being shortage. Its outdated practices that eliminate mostly newer truckers because companies no longer tolerate a certain cost incurred while they dent and scratch stuff learning how to be GOOD drivers that can back onto a wine case without shattering the glasses inside.

I had a famous preventable that cost me two years of 'splaining to future employers. A thousand dollars worth of curved curbing was destroyed in the Sayre NY VA Clinic then under construction. I put he spread axle with a load of tamko shingles for them into that lot and the curb was run over and destroyed. Thats a preventable. And a big one.

The good news is that the replacement curbing is still there as is the clinic to this day.

Never mind the 15000 dollars in inventory I destroyed once in Milldale during 2000 when wife and I got trapped on their property trying to get out. That was no big deal in comparison.

Preventable are a corporate way to punish those who scrape and break something that could have been avoided.

Lets say you racked up ... three preventables in 6 months. You are dismissed from employment for cause, DAC, Hireright etc are plastered with the damning details against you by your employer and all future employers refuse to hire you because you have too many accidents. You are then out of the industry for a minimum of three years. IF not also blacklisted.

You will still have a CDL and all that but since you are no longer ACTIVELY WORKING, you will need to go straight to your DMV and sign a Tier Two Document sworn to keep your CDL at a lower level and not working. That way it does not get downgraded when your DOT medical expires among other things.

Its a behind the scenes way of the industry, as in trucking companies to keep out the riff raff who constantly break stuff. Big and small. Whoops I hit it boss, Broke a mirror. PREVENTABLE. Whoops I was 10 minutes late now walmart wants a week before I come back with load. PREVENTABLE. WHOOPS I went 70 mph down Fancy GAP... PREVENTABLE.

Never mind the political sound and fury over truckers being shortage. Its outdated practices that eliminate mostly newer truckers because companies no longer tolerate a certain cost incurred while they dent and scratch stuff learning how to be GOOD drivers that can back onto a wine case without shattering the glasses inside.

I had a famous preventable that cost me two years of 'splaining to future employers. A thousand dollars worth of curved curbing was destroyed in the Sayre NY VA Clinic then under construction. I put he spread axle with a load of tamko shingles for them into that lot and the curb was run over and destroyed. Thats a preventable. And a big one.

The good news is that the replacement curbing is still there as is the clinic to this day.

Never mind the 15000 dollars in inventory I destroyed once in Milldale during 2000 when wife and I got trapped on their property trying to get out. That was no big deal in comparison.
Well that was overwhelming lol but thanks for the reply man

It will help to have more information like which company you work for, what kind of preventable accident , did you receive a ticket etc . Just guessing here but, unless it is a rear end accident you will have to talk to your safety department and watch training videos and sign a write up paper and go back to work
Hopefully that’s all it is , no ticket but definitely caused some damage to company property.

Hopefully that’s all it is , no ticket but definitely caused some damage to company property.
Depends on the company and severity. Some companies allow 3 minors in a year, while some do not. Depending upon the company the preventable will go away after a year as well and you restart your 3 strikes all over again. I have know guys get 1 yr safety awards and rack them up year over year with a preventable thrown in on the off yrs.

I was with JBH for a while. They sent me to Ford Buffalo NY Assembly. Round back behind the railroad engine was a inside dock that had very large fluffy plush bags bigger than my trailer.

I got it to two inches off on one corner. More than plenty for the dock plate to fit. Floor Production boss frowned, stabbed a finger at the offending airgap and said fix that driver.

I got angry, lost my temper pulled straight out. Threw that old cabover into reverse and stomp it. KABOOOOOM. No gaps. They actually stopped the production line on that explosion sound.

Floor production boss turned purple. I told him save it, no gaps. He lost his temper and then lost command of the english language and his mouth. What came out was gibberish as he tried vailently to tell me what a little ::shit:: I was.

All but one of the trailer door bolts were destroyed. There was a three phase 480 volt box two inches from the last one which fused then quit working. What little flame went out nicely.

Dispatcher had to send a repairman out with a box of bolts for that trailer door. Took about oh 9 or so bolts.

Normally it was no big deal. I usually had a box of bolts, but true to murphys law I had none. Which is another reason you sometimes paid cash to have someone fix the whoopsie before you company found out. What they dont know wont hurt them and will not get you fired.

Never mind the 15000 dollars in inventory I destroyed once in Milldale during 2000 when wife and I got trapped on their property trying to get out. That was no big deal in comparison
With all due respect what the hell you talking about? Man asked a simple question. :438:

Sorry guys new driver here. I'm a bit confused by how this whole thing works. I've had a minor preventable at work and I'm not sure if I should be worried about my personal driving record. I don't see anything on my psp report , is there anywhere else I should be looking? I was already considering looking for new employment now i am worried it could effect me. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Depends on what you consider minor I suppose...in past years I would have said yes this will definitely affect you, but with it being a driver's market I'm inclined to say nah someone else will still hire you...good luck young man and welcome to Truckingboards...

I am working on the VA Clinic incident and using internet resources where possible to eliminate flaws in that particular situation.

Some of the information I had thought was to be certain turned out to be entirely incorrect and as a result of that the situation is better understood.

There are many stories that come from my trucking time and some of it is quite hard to understand by some. Which is one of the things I run into when telling them. I have been working on a sort of a memory project going back over the situations recalled in various places which in some cases no longer exist sadly.

Trucking companies in my day were very intense in controlling costs and they would think nothing of destroying my ability to continue working if I ran into something and broke it. Costing myself money or them money. (The company that is) they were really anal in controlling costs.

Which in itself was part of the entire trucking industry being self damning and implication of itself for being really bad towards drivers who have not yet learned not to break stuff. Or if they did break stuff, they are going to pay for it economically by no longer being able to hire on anywhere in trucking in some situations.

And the industry today cries out for drivers if you were to believe our media. I choose to see it that there are millions of good drivers who can solve the driver problem today but the industry due to their practices as they are will be goddamned if they ever allow these soiled doves to touch a semi ever again. What a waste.

Many companies punished us for breaking stuff. That was our expeirence.

Most of the time they took it out of the paycheck straight. Sometimes you were in debt. But you still had a job. Until they got fed up and kicked you out.
You are right on with that....I was in a DOT check and the officer was going to issue a ticket for a violation (I wish I could recall what it was) ....he asked me if I wanted him to write me the ticket or my company.... I, of course, said the company...then I asked him why would I ever want a ticket when given the choice?....he told me the fine would be less for an individual, but more for the company...I was like ok, but why would I want to pay a fine? He replied many guys have told him that companies take it out of your check so it could save me money....I said nah, write it to the company....if I ever was told to pay for anything with a company I would leave their employment....

alcohol involved?... after all it's New Years
None at all.

My story telling is flawed anyway. I went over board too much. So I backed off on that.

Regarding the violations, I had virginia write a overweight for 3000 against Port East once. They specifically told me if I touched a scale with that rig its at least 3000 against me personally in Maryland as they write specifically against drivers. Port East absorbed the fine without a word. Cost of doing business on that container.

Anyway.

Companies do not want violations because they want the PSP and other easily googled online records to be pristine. Well thats not going to happen if you run a bad opeation that dont care about the drivers or the trucks. It will bite the company back.

I have had many conversations with DOT that essentially said to them start writing, all I can do is turn in paper work and quit for a better operation. Be in orientation the following monday which is usually what happened.

I have been OOS, I have been fined and so on. Those I paid on the spot. That day. Sometimes the fining officer has not yet returned to barracks and they take it as a contribution for teddy bears or something and I never see it on the record. Which is good. arkansas does the same thing. If you got a big ticket, went to the local courthouse with it paid in cash 10 minutes later, you will not see it on your DMV at all. Because its paid and there is no report yet from the officer. So its moot.

You are right on with that....I was in a DOT check and the officer was going to issue a ticket for a violation (I wish I could recall what it was) ....he asked me if I wanted him to write me the ticket or my company.... I, of course, said the company...then I asked him why would I ever want a ticket when given the choice?....he told me the fine would be less for an individual, but more for the company...I was like ok, but why would I want to pay a fine? He replied many guys have told him that companies take it out of your check so it could save me money....I said nah, write it to the company....if I ever was told to pay for anything with a company I would leave their employment....
YRC has an open charge account with the state police in the event they stop any of us with equipment broken or missing.

It would be nice to locate a set of west coast mirrors in the old tradition. I could make use of them on the shelf. I would not want to have to travel to say Wolcott to find some.