Got my behind absolutly whopped

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
Today they sent me out into the world on my own in a combination vehicle I had a trailer that was way to big for what I had and what I needed to do. I had a helper, but the helper was just a kid who worked in the office and he didn't have a CDL or anything like that. He was actually very helpful though.

Anyhow they sent me into a very tight city that I don't know very well, and had no idea how to get my self pointed in the right direction or anything like that with limited spaces to park and even more limited spaces to turn around. Certain parts of the day became very, very ugly. However I did survive and made it out alive. I remembered Ted Wards story's at certain points through out the day, and even now have a story of my own, but will wait for some time to pass before I share it. Any how I'm mentally broken and a little frightened right now, but as Ted Wards boss once said to him and it's the same for me "Good come back again and do it tomorrow."

So that's what I am going to do.

I know the feeling. We all have had those kind of days. I have stories of my own. Ive driven around blocks to try and figure out where to go. But luckily 2 food service companies i worked for had directions to each stop. When I was at apperts we had a driver's manifest with are route. It had are stops, how many cases for that stop, directions, delivery hrs, and contact person. It was very very nice. Dawn foods each route had a book with the stops in them. It had maps drawn out by drivers explaining where to go.

City work for ltl can be a royal pain in the arse. Once you get a set area its not bad but bouncing around everyday to different areas doing 20 stops can be very hard. City drivers should make more then they do at a lot of companies for the crap they deal with.

But good job and glad you made it out alive. Local driving isnt easy work and I believe you are getting the best experience you can get being a new driver. I was 19 when I started driving and my first driving job was foodservice and I think it made me a better driver because of the backing and tight places rather then just run down the road. Now I'm a linehaul driver and I enjoy it a lot more.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

One thing to do as you make your rounds on routes, ask the other drivers who may know the stops, and also while your at a stop scope out all the possible alternatives for delivery parking, alot of times a spot thats easy to get into and start pushing ends up being a bear to get out of and costs more time than you saved and increases the risk of tearing something up, the most important thing is getting to know how much room your truck needs versus how much room you have, I liked to have a few back-up plans at stops.

They give, me directions, but sometimes you can't always go by them and there isn't parking instructions or anything like that and oh it gets ugly. Today though they sent me on a route that was actually not very far from my house and I knew where everything was at and was able to make it all work, just fine. I'm really not comfortable at a stop until I know exactly how I am going to get out of that stop. Once I know that, then I ease up a bit, but the parking and making sure there is an out that's the big thing. Like really I make sure the best I can that I have my escape plan and am all set to get out before anything else happens.

Today I had a stop at a golf course and those can be tricky. Luckily it was rainy so the lot was empty and had room for me to turn around and get my self repositioned out. I had to walk a little further, but it worked out well, it really did it was an easy out.

Same with a shopping mall store I had to deliver to, I delivered through the front door not the back. I was leery about going to the back door. However the guy who managed the bar said that you can drive through the back and it works okay, the normal guy does it. However I played it safe went through the front door and guess what it was easy in easy out without any incident or ridiculous backing .

I'm the kind of person who has become I guess a lot more catious like the stops I had today had some very steep awful steps, well I just don't care I'm not going to wrestle a two wheeler with two kegs on it down a flight of stairs slip and fall have to kegs fly down the stairs and cause damage and maybe even hurt myself. Nope I'll take one keg off and make another trip because the accident that didn't happen is what really counts.

Like really I make sure the best I can that I have my escape plan

Yeah, I don't know If I've said it before,

My first priority is to make sure I am pointed so I can get out of the lot, no car (that would come park normally) would be able to block me in, even if I have to walk longer, try walking around trying to find who owns that car.

Second, try not to block parked cars, it's such a pita and time killer to have to lift the ramp and move to let someone out, sometimes it can happen several times during the stop, sometimes it can't be avoided. I/we do end up blocking handicapped spaces a bit, because they are usually empty.

Third, leave room for another driver to make his delivery if possible, I got to places that can have three other companies delivering at the same time..

I'll second kboomerang, a couple of minutes with another driver drawing a map for you can save you quite a bit of time and aggravation. You can show a driver or two the route, and they can just say front, back back front front back, not at lunch rush, they won't be there until 10:00am, just those things can be extremely helpful.

Watch for the yellow poles, especially the ones that have been hit repeatedly, look for broken curbs and tire ruts in the dirt over the curb and you might get a clue about how easy it is to get behind the building, some places you can get around before they open, but once people are parked in the lot it will be impossible.

In six months from now, you won't believe the things you'll be able to do. In a few years, If all goes well, it may not matter to you what you drive or where they send you.