Great Southern bought by Ryder Truck Lines who married PIE & On & On

G M paid the down time? Was that some kind of warranty program or simply, embarrassment. Lol
These were some of the first automatic transmissions in road tractors.
Ryder was a proving ground.
We had a truckload of trans. in Charlotte, they could swap out one in about an hour.
We ran these for about 18 mos and were turned in for 860s with R96 10 spd Fullers.

We had a truckload of trans. in Charlotte, they could swap out one in about an hour.
We ran these for about 18 mos and were turned in for 860s with R96 10 spd Fullers.
Change a transmission out in an hour? That's impressive. Our shop takes more time than that deciding who does the work. A month later, you might get the truck back on the road.

Change a transmission out in an hour? That's impressive. Our shop takes more time than that deciding who does the work. A month later, you might get the truck back on the road.
Didn’t Junior Johnson do an a engine change during a race in less than 15 minutes?

Sure would love to have bought Junior a beer and a shot.
You could have got a shot from, he always had shine of site
He held a big breakfast for his friend each year
I had an invite but never got to go.
Although not a personal friend I met him several times.

Good ole DF 860, 671, hydramatic.
We still ran the G S logo a few yrs after 1955.
Made a lot of breakdown time with these, G M paid it all.
Those were before my time but ABF called them 'Bubble Nose' GMC's. I heard some had automatic transmissions.
Things must have changed. At one time the Little Rock shop did more clutch replacements than any shop in the system. Tractors were often routed here for clutches/transmissions. Usually the standard procedure was to remove the transmission, clutch & flywheel. The flywheel would be resurfaced & the rear crankshaft seal would be replaced while the flywheel was out. Usually the transmission input shaft would also be replaced due to wear on the splines. If parts were available this could be done in less than two shifts on a conventional cab & less time than that for a cabover. A clutch replacement is probably the least desirable job to be done on a tractor. Clutches last longer on autoshift transmissons. If I never do another clutch job I will have already done more than my share.

Those were before my time but ABF called them 'Bubble Nose' GMC's. I heard some had automatic transmissions.

Things must have changed. At one time the Little Rock shop did more clutch replacements than any shop in the system. Tractors were often routed here for clutches/transmissions. Usually the standard procedure was to remove the transmission, clutch & flywheel. The flywheel would be resurfaced & the rear crankshaft seal would be replaced while the flywheel was out. Usually the transmission input shaft would also be replaced due to wear on the splines. If parts were available this could be done in less than two shifts on a conventional cab & less time than that for a cabover. A clutch replacement is probably the least desirable job to be done on a tractor. Clutches last longer on autoshift transmissons. If I never do another clutch job I will have already done more than my share.
It seemed like the A 50 Macks with single disc clutch, 5 spd direct and no 2 spd, was lined up for clutch jobs.
The twin-disc clutches really cut down on clutch jobs.