Great Southern bought by Ryder Truck Lines who married PIE & On & On

yeah seabreeze i bet you did . i was born in jacksonville in 1953 he was running from jacksonville to miami sleap in bunckhouse at terminal in miami . then back to jacksonville . back then no turnpike had to use US1 took forever . he retired in 1988 , with PIE was running from jacksonville to tampa and back . him and my mom was living in chifland fl. he passed away in 2001 he was 76 years old , too young he was a 37 year proud Teamster . his name is Sid Matthews ...

yeah seabreeze i bet you did . i was born in jacksonville in 1953 he was running from jacksonville to miami sleap in bunckhouse at terminal in miami . then back to jacksonville . back then no turnpike had to use US1 took forever . he retired in 1988 , with PIE was running from jacksonville to tampa and back . him and my mom was living in chifland fl. he passed away in 2001 he was 76 years old , too young he was a 37 year proud Teamster . his name is Sid Matthews ...
Yes, I did know your dad, he and Eddie Lane ran a Tampa turn.
We had a bunkhouse in Jax back in those days.
In the early days, Charl ran Hazlehurst Ga before we ran straight through.
I was still there in Charl when they closed the doors.

These were some of the first automatic transmissions in road tractors.
Ryder was a proving ground.
We had a truckload of trans. in Charlotte, they could swap out one in about an hour.
We ran these for about 18 mos and were turned in for 860s with R96 10 spd Fullers.
And now all companies are broke.
Progress.
No trailer loads of anything sitting at a terminal,let alone a truckload of transmissions.....which could be swapped out in an hour.
Progress.

Nowadays you would need another endorsement for the unicycle.
$175, a background check and fingerprints you pay for too.
And a DOT Physical requiring you to blow in a straw until you make the white dot on the screen go high enough to pass a smokers lung test. Make the ball go up or pass out trying.
Nonsense money racket.

Over the years I’ve seen drivers put stuff on the catwalk too! Wait till they go all electric tractors with plenty of room under the hood!
The tractor unit will be so much smaller.
Probably won’t have to climb up to get in.

DF 860 GMC hydramatic, castrated 671.
McLean and Akers ran 471s, we really were their daddies.
Those ryder box trucks were all over the place here in orlando . there terminal was on gore street the terminal manager let my dad use one on a weekend to move from duplex he was renting to house he bought in 1967. had 5 road drivers in orlando back then town was still so small no disney world yet they opened in oct. 1971

I recall someone stealing the Budd wheels off the dollies where they switched the twin 45s at Gore st

I recall someone stealing the Budd wheels off the dollies where they switched the twin 45s at Gore st
at that time gore st. terminal was a high crime area . dad big sid was his cb handel had a mercury grand marquie with pretty expensive wheel covers. they got stolen 3 times ..

at that time gore st. terminal was a high crime area . dad big sid was his cb handel had a mercury grand marquie with pretty expensive wheel covers. they got stolen 3 times ..
Did you know Eddie Lane?
He and your dad ran Tampa.
Eddie retired and moved to S. Ga
Always said he wanted to train a pair of young mules.
I told him, you'll wish you were back in that truck before you accomplish that feat.

i herd my dad talk about him . when he ran tampa turn out of Jacksonville that was 1987 and 1988 thats when he retired and moved back to orlando and moved to chiefland fl. in 1997. not to far from where he grew up in Mayo Fl.