New Penn | Greetings From the Northeast

FatChance

AD FREE
Are they guys like this? Lost because of pulling a 102” wide, 53’?

E7E413F9-2F2B-4A0A-801B-95D24D098E2C.md.jpg
Buddy, this guy would be lost like this with a wagon and a team of horses. If you have no sense of direction my advice would be to stick to" welcome to walmart". English, Spanish, Swahili or whatever. Would make the world a safer place.

slavenomore

US Gov Hears Foreign Corps More Than Nonunions
AD FREE
You failed to mention Mastio champions, they should fit in there somewhere.
This is from 2010.
Will was from our terminal
He worked at APA before NPME.
4- Axle.

Not sure but I think he may have gotten #1 at least once. Don't know the year or class.

ABF381

Staff member
Super Moderator
AD FREE
Roadway had 102” pups in the late 80’s. We just ran them with, Wide Load signs on the front and rear.
I don't have a problem with 102" trailers, but I won't peddle with a 53, New York State has an over length law on secondary roads, even in a union job you still have round mouth guys who will peddle on those roads....these roads encompass all roads except interstate and select state routes....smh

Triplex

Experienced stalker
Roadway had 102” pups in the late 80’s. We just ran them with, Wide Load signs on the front and rear.
Occasionally a 102" wide Canadian trailer would accidentally get sent across the border back in Maislin times, early 1980's. They were a real oddity back then.

slavenomore

AD FREE
It must be very different doing P&D in the congestion of the Northeast. It is very common to do routes with 53’s in the Midwest
Like I said, these companies have been using the pups and big trailers forever. Back into the 80's pretty much. And all of the big carriers are here.
But New Penn stuck with the 12'6 45x96 until the crash or so and the Concessions in 2008 or 2009.
Then our road operation went to 53's with load bars and stacking and wrecking freight to cut road drivers..
Then came the big neverending driver shortage.
Back before that the major majority of New Penn freight was never stacked. Mostly all trailers, road and city were the same. No pups. Still don't use them as far as I see here.
We had 26 or 28 terminals from Baltimore to Pittsburg to Buffalo to Portland ME..which was a dropped trailer or something...not a terminal.
Next Day freight in the Northeast.
Most all in the same trailer.
Rarely stacked. Plenty of drivers. It was fast. Road drivers would be watching at the back of the trailer for their door to get closed sand go. Like a relay race. Headers could stay on and go right from shipper to customer. No load bars.
Could go on most roads and get under tunnels. No worrying about NYC......
The idea was to touch freight as little as possible.
Every move increases risk of damage as does stacking.
The interline companies were Wilson and Roadrunner for out of our area stuff. I think that was all handled in Camp Hill, Pa and Buffalo.

We had plenty of hand freight. Backbreaking stuff too.
And some big retail stuff which involved handtrucking stuff out of no skidded floor load trailers and skidding it to deliver..JC Pennies was one.

I've pulled wide and long and tall before but am sick of changes.......whatever they want all the damned time. I have no desire for 102's nor doubles.
I peddled w 53's twice this week. Usualy have only a few tail deliveries to Industrial Parks and big header to drop at a big DC.
No big deal if routed right ....but if we get rid of the New Penn trailer which I see no new ones being ordered......we know the routing won't be important once implemented.
More pain in the ass for us....more freight pulled for them.
How do I really feel about all of the changes?
Here:

ouBwKPJ7HwyDGwvqxkF4wv-iwUgoDEoFDXv6jiQF-tI.md.jpg

Last edited:

seabreeze

Not Well Known Member, 63 Year Teamster Member
I ran with a Big R driver who ran a Valdosta bid.
They issued him a set of mirrors and 2 pairs of vice grips to use on each tractor.
He switched them each time.
His time was logged "on duty, not seeing"

BIG R GUY

Ted and Wayne’s driving instructor
AD FREE
I ran with a Big R driver who ran a Valdosta bid.
They issued him a set of mirrors and 2 pairs of vice grips to use on each tractor.
He switched them each time.
His time was logged "on duty, not seeing"
I remember that. 1982. I would do p and d in downtown Atlanta all day, pulling a set, 102 wide, then do a Valdosta turn at night with all the next day Florida freight I picked up. You and I ate at the Waffle House every night, at the Macon exit. Man, those bastards still have the best hash browns…

slavenomore

AD FREE
I will add to that last post about New Penn is more of the stupidity of Yellow.
The roads have changed in this part of PA. Maybe all over, idk.
There are now traffic circles replacing traffic lights.
Probably 3 between Allentown's YRC area and Readings New Penn area which are merging or condensing or splitting so that we don't cross into each other's areas.
What do we think happens to stacked freight in traffic circles?
It leans, falls off the load bars, falls over, crushes stuff.

Also many roads are now labeled " No 102 wides nor doubles nor trailers over 45'. Sometimes they do allow trailers under 28 1/2'. But not as the 96 is allowed just about anywhere.
They suck.
Those signs are everywhere here now.

So Yellow can't go those roads. Because they don't use the New Penn sized 45x96.

FatChance

AD FREE
I will add to that last post about New Penn is more of the stupidity of Yellow.
The roads have changed in this part of PA. Maybe all over, idk.
There are now traffic circles replacing traffic lights.
Probably 3 between Allentown's YRC area and Readings New Penn area which are merging or condensing or splitting so that we don't cross into each other's areas.
What do we think happens to stacked freight in traffic circles?
It leans, falls off the load bars, falls over, crushes stuff.

Also many roads are now labeled " No 102 wides nor doubles nor trailers over 45'. Sometimes they do allow trailers under 28 1/2'. But not as the 96 is allowed just about anywhere.
They suck.
Those signs are everywhere here now.

So Yellow can't go those roads. Because they don't use the New Penn sized 45x96.
I know I've posted this before, but I just can't get over how one of the most profitable and best companies to work for got turned into the disaster it is now! All of the above posts about how they ran the company are all accurate. It's the midas touch in reverse. Absolutely everything Yellow touches turns to s##the. Unbelievable

GIALLO

I know I've posted this before, but I just can't get over how one of the most profitable and best companies to work for got turned into the disaster it is now! All of the above posts about how they ran the company are all accurate. It's the midas touch in reverse. Absolutely everything Yellow touches turns to s##the. Unbelievable
Brother, get it over, it's just pure capitalism.
Yellow is not the only one, it happens everywhere.
It will be a point of breaking. Yellow is now by itself, let's see if it succeeds.
Sorry, New Penn is a legend now in the Northeast.
Have a happy coming Labor day!
:usa:

slavenomore

AD FREE
Brother, get it over, it's just pure capitalism.
Yellow is not the only one, it happens everywhere.
It will be a point of breaking. Yellow is now by itself, let's see if it succeeds.
Sorry, New Penn is a legend now in the Northeast.
Have a happy coming Labor day!
:usa:
It won't succeed because the only success is breaking down conditions and robbing from everybody they can.
Eventually criminals face justice
Hopefully one day these will.

AdBlock Detected

Please disable your adblocker or click the green AD FREE button to support Truckingboards.
We have 2 ways to pay for this website, Advertising or Users who buy out of advertising. Thank You

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks