XPO | handhelds roll out on monday...

we have been using them at our s.c. for close to 2 yrs. now. we are a test site for anything new the corp. comes up with. the first hour we had them was not fun but after we used them more and more it was really nice. still costs time when u have to get sup. to over_ride things ,u will see what i mean,but they are really nice to have.. :thumbsup:

[quote author=beerfd link=topic=79726.msg835267#msg835267 date=1275713362]
We get ours this Monday....can't wait. Just not having to call in will be a relief.

We do have some that will not understand it right away. If you work at LDA, then you know what I mean...
[/quote]We rolled them out today, but just on P and D. The dock will not come for about 5 or 6 weeks.
I'm still trying to figure out if these things can track you. They didn't mention it :busted:

[quote author=beerfd link=topic=79726.msg835902#msg835902 date=1275961996]
[quote author=beerfd link=topic=79726.msg835267#msg835267 date=1275713362]
We get ours this Monday....can't wait. Just not having to call in will be a relief.

We do have some that will not understand it right away. If you work at LDA, then you know what I mean...
[/quote]We rolled them out today, but just on P and D. The dock will not come for about 5 or 6 weeks.
I'm still trying to figure out if these things can track you. They didn't mention it :busted:
[/quote]

The answer is yes...but perhaps not in the way you may imagine.

Your arrival and departure times are logged...to the minute...

So in essences you are being tracked...the handhelds are GPS capable.

Last report I received was the GPS as of this writing has not been activated...but who knows.

Do your job and you will have no probs...it the slackers and clock suckers that are going to have the problems.

Rat

after a while with the handhelds its pretty easy..although the dock ops side is much more difficult than the p&d side...also they are not tracking anyone by way of gps(yet) but we do see a detailed trip board that shows us when you depart each stop and the milking is goinna go bye bye...also there is something that prints called a drivers score card and it shows every stop arrival and departure and lbs/hour stops/hour etc. this is what i suspect raises will go off of in the future..i am a dsr but i fill in for our fos's and have been for about a month an a half now and i can say they look at this stuff and question every little thing they see wrong..i know how it is,how stuff can go wrong on the street,but the milking is way down now..also the handhelds are only as good as the user..if we dont scan freight onto a trailer...its not on your trip..also drops and hooks are a pain

[quote author=con-way man link=topic=79726.msg836100#msg836100 date=1276055247]
after a while with the handhelds its pretty easy..although the dock ops side is much more difficult than the p&d side...also they are not tracking anyone by way of gps(yet) but we do see a detailed trip board that shows us when you depart each stop and the milking is goinna go bye bye...also there is something that prints called a drivers score card and it shows every stop arrival and departure and lbs/hour stops/hour etc. this is what i suspect raises will go off of in the future..i am a dsr but i fill in for our fos's and have been for about a month an a half now and i can say they look at this stuff and question every little thing they see wrong..i know how it is,how stuff can go wrong on the street,but the milking is way down now..also the handhelds are only as good as the user..if we dont scan freight onto a trailer...its not on your trip..also drops and hooks are a pain
[/quote]Haven't seen any of the reports yet, but I'm sure Bob P. is preparing them.

We don't start the dock ops. for about 5 more weeks.

Yea, third day using them here at LDA and I'm liking them a little more now. The pickups still take quite a bit longer than before, but it's not a huge problem. I really like not calling in anymore, although I do miss hearing freight news central and those reporters that are always standing right outside HQ with important info. I almost had the cycle memorized.

[quote author=carrot-nutz link=topic=79726.msg836882#msg836882 date=1276366843]
beerfd,when they start the dock portion,take the week off,trust me :hissy:
[/quote]Oh....no, Most of our dock are temps., I wouldn't miss this for anything..

[quote author=wonderring99 link=topic=79726.msg828049#msg828049 date=1273327717]
[quote author=neighbor d link=topic=79726.msg827567#msg827567 date=1273156664]
:iamnotworthy: All we need now is for DSR's to stop dropping them, running over them, etc. to cut down on cost. Try to treat them like your girlfriend, not your wife.

I sure wish I was salmon fishing today...dang!
[/quote]

If you guys did not have us working 12 to 14 hours a day we would know how to treat these hand helds like a girlfriend...
[/quote]do you mean its like poking with your little stick ??

Right now I see them as a waste of time on linehaul. You still have to go threw the bills and find the BOL for the freight. They are adding more steps to the process. The only thing it saves is the loss of a greeter job from t-con a trailer. They cannot eliminate carrying a copy of the BOL's and a manifest, according to the FMCSA. I see it as more steps that drivers have to do and a loss of jobs for greeters and CSR's. It's going to take longer to do anything. A couple of our city drivers was talking to some Fed-Ex drivers and they said they had those handhelds for awhile and that they had nothing but problems from them and they were junk. For the price the big Con paid for them wouldn't be cheaper for them to get I-Phones, figure out how to put a scanner on it and develope a app for it? $1600 each seems to be a waste of money to me.

[quote author=dodge ram link=topic=79726.msg843813#msg843813 date=1278331110]
Right now I see them as a waste of time on linehaul. You still have to go threw the bills and find the BOL for the freight. They are adding more steps to the process. The only thing it saves is the loss of a greeter job from t-con a trailer. They cannot eliminate carrying a copy of the BOL's and a manifest, according to the FMCSA. I see it as more steps that drivers have to do and a loss of jobs for greeters and CSR's. It's going to take longer to do anything. A couple of our city drivers was talking to some Fed-Ex drivers and they said they had those handhelds for awhile and that they had nothing but problems from them and they were junk. For the price the big Con paid for them wouldn't be cheaper for them to get I-Phones, figure out how to put a scanner on it and develope a app for it? $1600 each seems to be a waste of money to me.
[/quote]

The scanners were never meant to make things quicker...they were meant to be a tracking device.

It is little more than a tool for AA to further berate and micro-manage the drivers (and as we all know the drivers are the biggest reason for the cascading failures experienced on daily basis).

The drivers are the fault..they are the reason for the failure.

Now they have in their greedy hands the data to continuously monitor any driver at any time.

The bean counters are just getting started...things will change...albeit not for the better.

Think it sucked before?....just wait.

Rat

If you don't like the way things are here at Con-Way, just wait they are going to change...................................BUT, if you DO like the way things are here at Con-Way, well........................just wait they are going to change.

I finally got to have a hand held today. I have been reading what everyone has been posting about this and I was not sure what to think. After having it out on the street today, all I can say is that it is an AWSOME TOOL. I did not have to speak to my dispatcher at all. I updated everything in real time, called the customers I needed to call, and things went smooth. In the near future the handhelds are going to have a navigation system to so I will be able to ::shit:: can my map book. NO more getting lost, no more waiting for dispatch to clear my stops or make phone calls.

If anybody thinks that Con-way is going down in flames after seeing these devices, I think they might need a random because they have got to be smokin the funny stuff. These handhelds are going to take us to a new level of productivity and profitability. These handhelds are going to be an investment that will payoff big time in the future. We should have done this years ago.I can't wait to see how they work on the dock. :thumbsup: