XPO | handhelds roll out on monday...

con-way man

TB Lurker
Credits
we have had a few hours training with the handhelds in our SC...all i can say is for the P&D driver...its goinna be sweet..not more updating every stop...you can do your own exceptions...and once they roll out company wide..we all know how those unbilled,not signed on stops can be..as long as the driver picking the freight up does everything right...you can deliver it off the handheld...now the outbound,inbound and linehaul parts are goinna be a lil more tricky..more for the inbound guys...the manual for the inbound side is pretty thick...

I can't wait. I don't like having all those DR's and trying to get through to dispatch to update. The other day it was really windy, so windy that a gust got hold of my clipboard and blew all of my DRs down the street. I was running after them, stepping on them with my feet to catch them. I was so focused on catching my paperwork before it blew away that I almost got hit by a car. How would that have looked if I had gotten run over??? Bring on the hand-helds, down with paperwork. :clap: :kicking: :banana: :dance: :thumbsup:

[quote author=beerfd link=topic=79726.msg826143#msg826143 date=1272729247]
We don't roll out until the end of July
[/quote]

Maybe it is a gradual roll out instead of all at once.

IIRC they said it would be fully implemented company wide sometime late summer early autumn.

Rat

Ok Gentlemen;
I have a question about the handhelds. How will it effect line-haul? Will logs have to match the handhelds ? In other words , can we throw in a break to cut our hours if we don't take one? I have been told that if we show a break the truck must be stopped for at least eight minutes. I have also been told that it won't effect our logs. So what is the real story on this?

not sure how it affects linehaul..i will be sure and ask...also they are rolling out here first because they choose a few SC's and those get trained first and then they bring in fos's fom's etc. from other SC'S to train at our SC...you will still have to carry DR'S and have them signd like always...(legal issue) you just go back to your truck and type their name into the handheld...only thing i know about the linehaul side is you will type your equipment numbers in and there will be a barcode at the gate of each SC...you will scan those when you arrive/depart..the breaks you do not have to enter on the handheld..only your lunch...you choose the option to take lunch and it starts a timer and after 30 it has an alarm that starts beeping..while on your lunch the handhelds shutsdown so you can not communicate nor can dispatch communicate with you during the 30 min

[quote author=con-way man link=topic=79726.msg826195#msg826195 date=1272741668]
not sure how it affects linehaul..i will be sure and ask...also they are rolling out here first because they choose a few SC's and those get trained first and then they bring in fos's fom's etc. from other SC'S to train at our SC...you will still have to carry DR'S and have them signd like always...(legal issue) you just go back to your truck and type their name into the handheld...only thing i know about the linehaul side is you will type your equipment numbers in and there will be a barcode at the gate of each SC...you will scan those when you arrive/depart..the breaks you do not have to enter on the handheld..only your lunch...you choose the option to take lunch and it starts a timer and after 30 it has an alarm that starts beeping..while on your lunch the handhelds shutsdown so you can not communicate nor can dispatch communicate with you during the 30 min
[/quote]So, I will have to stop taking hour-long lunches?? :biglaugh: :chairshot: :chairshot:

[quote author=beerfd link=topic=79726.msg826226#msg826226 date=1272749661]
[quote author=con-way man link=topic=79726.msg826195#msg826195 date=1272741668]
[/quote]So, I will have to stop taking hour-long lunches?? :biglaugh: :chairshot: :chairshot:
[/quote]

No...it just means you will be required to take your hour lunch in thirty minute increments.

Once the first thirty is up just reset the timer...and at the next alarm your hour is up...

Unless you want to take the hour (or whatever one wishes to take) in separate stages...but evidently it must be done half hour at a time....per new company policy.

Policy?!!

BWAH!...HA!...HA!...HA!...HA!...HA!...ROTFLMAO!!!....BWAH!...HA!...HA!...HA!...HA!...HA!...

Whew!....now that was funny!...

OK...much better now...please carry on...as I have regained my rodent composure.

I'm OK...really...its alright now.

(I think I peed my pants)...nope!...just spilled beer.

Sometimes I crack me up!

Rat

There was a posting about it at my service center that you can start getting trained with the handhelds on the employee portal

[quote author=wonderring99 link=topic=79726.msg826263#msg826263 date=1272758804]
There was a posting about it at my service center that you can start getting trained with the handhelds on the employee portal
[/quote]
i seen the same posting a while back,went to the portal and checked it out...and can i say they are totally different....also they said after we roll the handhelds out compant wide...they are goinna start using the handhelds to pay us..you have to scan your id badge to log on anyways..so they are goinna add kronos to it somehow...plus its windows based so they can add apps all they want...

[quote author=con-way man link=topic=79726.msg826265#msg826265 date=1272759180]
[quote author=wonderring99 link=topic=79726.msg826263#msg826263 date=1272758804]
[/quote]
i seen the same posting a while back,went to the portal and checked it out...and can i say they are totally different....also they said after we roll the handhelds out compant wide...they are goinna start using the handhelds to pay us..you have to scan your id badge to log on anyways..so they are goinna add kronos to it somehow...plus its windows based so they can add apps all they want...
[/quote]

So the nextels and the kronos are going away?

Rat

[quote author=Rat link=topic=79726.msg826273#msg826273 date=1272761109]
[quote author=con-way man link=topic=79726.msg826265#msg826265 date=1272759180]
[/quote]
[/quote]

So the nextels and the kronos are going away?

Rat
[/quote]
yep nextels for sure...kronos is something in the works...we turned our nextels in friday and they stored them somewhere....all communication with dispatch will be done through the handhelds...by way of text or phone calls...

[quote author=radman link=topic=79726.msg826107#msg826107 date=1272722575]
I can't wait. I don't like having all those DR's and trying to get through to dispatch to update. The other day it was really windy, so windy that a gust got hold of my clipboard and blew all of my DRs down the street. I was running after them, stepping on them with my feet to catch them. I was so focused on catching my paperwork before it blew away that I almost got hit by a car. How would that have looked if I had gotten run over??? Bring on the hand-helds, down with paperwork. :clap: :kicking: :banana: :dance: :thumbsup:
[/quote] I was told the handhelds would not replace the DR. You still need a signed document. Legal stuff I guess

I work at a SC that has used the handhelds in one form or another for the last ten years and have had all the tech guys do ride alongs with me over the years. The new Motorola's that are being rolled out we have been using now for the last year with the new software coming out about 2 months ago. You are all going to like them, especially the city drivers because unless you have an exception you will never talk to dispatch all week. The new software does not allow the city program to do exceptions other than enter it as one. You still have to call dispatch and get an exception number. They are talking about changing that in the future, but as of yet you cannot do an exception from the handheld. The dock program does allow you to do exceptions and operate completely paperless except for hazmat. The city drivers still carry DR's. You can communicate with the phone or by text and with other drivers if you have their number. They also have a camera and GPS which neither have been activated yet.
There is no program on them for a line driver and none of ours carry them.
You do log onto them by scanning your ID card, but have never heard anyone ever mention anything about ever giving them Kronos capability.
It is true that they have an alarm clock for your lunch and everything is locked up during your lunch break as the company decided that it is your lunch break and should be Con-way free during that time, so you cannot make or receive calls or look at your pick-up or delivery screen. You might want to rethink your two consecutive lunch breaks though, as the lunch break is recorded in real time on the dispatcher's computer screen.
I hope this helps clear some things up for everyone.

[quote author=delivery boy link=topic=79726.msg826342#msg826342 date=1272775080]
I work at a SC that has used the handhelds in one form or another for the last ten years and have had all the tech guys do ride alongs with me over the years. The new Motorola's that are being rolled out we have been using now for the last year with the new software coming out about 2 months ago. You are all going to like them, especially the city drivers because unless you have an exception you will never talk to dispatch all week. The new software does not allow the city program to do exceptions other than enter it as one. You still have to call dispatch and get an exception number. They are talking about changing that in the future, but as of yet you cannot do an exception from the handheld. The dock program does allow you to do exceptions and operate completely paperless except for hazmat. The city drivers still carry DR's. You can communicate with the phone or by text and with other drivers if you have their number. They also have a camera and GPS which neither have been activated yet.
There is no program on them for a line driver and none of ours carry them.
You do log onto them by scanning your ID card, but have never heard anyone ever mention anything about ever giving them Kronos capability.

Additional Options... It is true that they have an alarm clock for your lunch and everything is locked up during your lunch break as the company decided that it is your lunch break and should be Cg them also on-way free during that time, so you cannot make or receive calls or look at your pick-up or delivery screen. You might want to rethink your two consecutive lunch breaks though, as the lunch break is recordedity in th future...also the linehaul drivers will be usin in real time on the dispatcher's computer screen.
I hope this helps clear some things up for everyone.
[/quote]

are you in boise?...the trainers that trained a few of us to train our dsr's said they would have kronos capabilITYIN THE FUTURE,,ALSO OUR LINEHAUL DRIVERS WILL BE USING THEM TO DISPATCH/SCAN INTO/OUT OF sc'S..sorry bout the caps just realized oh well....

We have had them for a week now at XCJ, very easy to use, they also have phone capabilties, after one day you'll have it down :dance:

I was told our Sc will have them rolled out end of april or end of may, one of them two is past, so its not april :) havent heard anything else about them, but I know they will be sweeeet after all the kinks are worked out.

[quote author=DILLIGAF link=topic=79726.msg826551#msg826551 date=1272837101]
I was told our Sc will have them rolled out end of april or end of may, one of them two is past, so its not april :) havent heard anything else about them, but I know they will be sweeeet after all the kinks are worked out.
[/quote]
We kind of heard the same thing out here in the west. They did come in and install a bunch of equipment and antennas around the joint so I am sure we are getting closer. Just don't really know what a hand held is going to do for a line driver. I guess we will see.