XPO | handhelds roll out on monday...

What about linehaul meet and turns are we still going to call l/h and get everything switched around or will it be a matter of scan and go?

:iamnotworthy: All we need now is for DSR's to stop dropping them, running over them, etc. to cut down on cost. Try to treat them like your girlfriend, not your wife.

I sure wish I was salmon fishing today...dang!

[quote author=neighbor d link=topic=79726.msg827567#msg827567 date=1273156664]
:iamnotworthy: All we need now is for DSR's to stop dropping them, running over them, etc. to cut down on cost. Try to treat them like your girlfriend, not your wife.

I sure wish I was salmon fishing today...dang!
[/quote]

If you guys did not have us working 12 to 14 hours a day we would know how to treat these hand helds like a girlfriend...

I unloaded the big pallet of handhelds here at XBN a couple days ago. Not sure when they will go into use here, but I'm guessing pretty soon. They have been sending 2-3 different trucks to Indy each night to get the handheld mounts installed. I think most of ours are ready to go at this point.

I personally can't wait to get them. Texting in deliveries and calling in pro numbers is getting really old. Especially when the office women never answer the dang Nextel.

Wondering99, you don't have to be so negative. You can do it. Maybe a new handheld will get you down to under 12 hours a day providing you don't drop it or run over it.

PS. Fishing was good this weekend

[quote author=neighbor d link=topic=79726.msg828587#msg828587 date=1273501505]
Wondering99, you don't have to be so negative. You can do it. Maybe a new handheld will get you down to under 12 hours a day providing you don't drop it or run over it.

[/quote]

Just stating a fact ... and I dont buy the fact that using handhelds will put me under 12 hours when they roll them out at my location .. so which oregon river did you fish and how much did you catch ?

are we gonna be given some kind of holster to hold these things in? are they putting holders on the forklifts? I don't know exactly what these scanners are gonna be like but we had them at Yellow and they made moving freight across the dock extremely easy. no more writing it down as you go, the weights added as they are loaded, poison/food conflicts realized right off, and you know who loaded what and when and where. no more "is it on there? who the hell loads a trailer like that? was that last piece on the reverse loaded on another trailer?....." if they work like the ones we had at Yellow every move will be recorded completely.

[quote author=wonderring99 link=topic=79726.msg828780#msg828780 date=1273549582]

[/quote]

Just stating a fact ... and I dont buy the fact that using handhelds will put me under 12 hours when they roll them out at my location .. so which oregon river did you fish and how much did you catch ?
[/quote]

Sorry I can't help you on the hours of work. I think you'll like the handhelds once you use them a couple days. You might find a hicup here and there but all in all it should make things easier in the big scheme of things.

Not Oregon, but you're warm. 1 Steelhead and 1 Salmon Saturday/Sunday. The girlfriend caught the salmon so I can't take credit for it.

Maybe a new handheld will get you down to under 12 hours a day providing you don't drop it or run over it.

[/quote]

They WILL be DROPPED , RAN , OVER and left in a number of different places !!!!!! That you can count on. ( Unfortunately )

[quote author=rattlehead link=topic=79726.msg828800#msg828800 date=1273559273]
are we gonna be given some kind of holster to hold these things in? are they putting holders on the forklifts? I don't know exactly what these scanners are gonna be like but we had them at Yellow and they made moving freight across the dock extremely easy. no more writing it down as you go, the weights added as they are loaded, poison/food conflicts realized right off, and you know who loaded what and when and where. no more "is it on there? who the hell loads a trailer like that? was that last piece on the reverse loaded on another trailer?....." if they work like the ones we had at Yellow every move will be recorded completely.
[/quote]
Yes, they have belt holsters and I understand forklifts will have some kind of mount for them.

[quote author=primadona link=topic=79726.msg828990#msg828990 date=1273629560]
[/quote]
Yes, they have belt holsters and I understand forklifts will have some kind of mount for them.
[/quote]

:biglaugh: I drove a truck today that had one of the new mounts attached to the dash. The handheld wasn't installed in it, but already the shaking and banging of the dash has increased. Who's stupid idea was it to hang the damned things off of the front of the dash? I beleive they would have been better off to mount the thing to the top of the dash instead. These damned plastic mounts don't stand a chance of staying on the dash when they are mounted the way they are. Once again, they have shown me, they don't consult with any drivers at all. If they had, they would know how much the dashes in these junk Sterlings bounce around and throw everything you put on them, onto the floor. :nono:

[quote author=dcmilkwagon link=topic=79726.msg829004#msg829004 date=1273633297]
:biglaugh: I drove a truck today that had one of the new mounts attached to the dash. The handheld wasn't installed in it, but already the shaking and banging of the dash has increased. Who's stupid idea was it to hang the damned things off of the front of the dash? I beleive they would have been better off to mount the thing to the top of the dash instead. These damned plastic mounts don't stand a chance of staying on the dash when they are mounted the way they are. Once again, they have shown me, they don't consult with any drivers at all. If they had, they would know how much the dashes in these junk Sterlings bounce around and throw everything you put on them, onto the floor. :nono:
[/quote]

We have had the mounts in for a while. A rubber band around them makes a nice cell phone holder actually. Those stylist pen things on the side however are sure to be lost quickly. Already noticing some without them. I imagine the weight of the scanners will start to pull on those things with the amount of bouncing the older spring suspension Sterlings have. Hell some of them bounce so much they make me wanna toss my lunch after eating :hyper: it much less a scanner from the holder.

[/quote]
[/quote]

Nobody explained yet if it is going to be a linehaul deal or not. Are they given to each driver at SC or do you get one every where you go? Who is going to be responsible for these things on the weekends?

[quote author=bigfoot077 link=topic=79726.msg829501#msg829501 date=1273773306]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Nobody explained yet if it is going to be a linehaul deal or not. Are they given to each driver at SC or do you get one every where you go? Who is going to be responsible for these things on the weekends?
[/quote]

Interesting observation...the LH drivers will have handhelds issued at their respective service centers.

But what about Sat morning?...who is going to be there to assure they are placed in the charging cabinets...for the DSRs on Monday morning...I know the truck brackets will charge the unit...but are there going to be dozens of units worth thousands of dollars just lying around waiting for the inbound FOS early Monday morning?

Perhaps the SCM will donate his/her time on Sat morn to accomodate this prob...but I doubt it.

Rat

Do they (the handhelds) support [glow=blue,2,300]bluetooth[/glow]? I've been told they do , although I haven't seen this myself .

[quote author=wonderring99 link=topic=79726.msg834562#msg834562 date=1275444288]
I got my handheld raining today ... now they need to so away with dr's .. to much fumbling around with everything
[/quote]

Give it time...

It is a definite departure from what we have been doing for years...

Once you get it...you have it.

Just take your time and don't be intimidated by the little box.

You can't mess up anything the cannot be fixed.

That is built into the system.

My opinion is the interface is a little awkward..but they have already done some updates. And I am sure many more will come.

Where this thing really shines is on the dock...you won't believe it til you experience it.

Stunning.

Rat

We get ours this Monday....can't wait. Just not having to call in will be a relief.

We do have some that will not understand it right away. If you work at LDA, then you know what I mean...

[quote author=Rat link=topic=79726.msg834594#msg834594 date=1275458238]
[quote author=wonderring99 link=topic=79726.msg834562#msg834562 date=1275444288]
I got my handheld raining today ... now they need to so away with dr's .. to much fumbling around with everything
[/quote]

Give it time...

It is a definite departure from what we have been doing for years...

Once you get it...you have it.

Just take your time and don't be intimidated by the little box.

You can't mess up anything the cannot be fixed.

That is built into the system.

My opinion is the interface is a little awkward..but they have already done some updates. And I am sure many more will come.

Where this thing really shines is on the dock...you won't believe it til you experience it.

Stunning.

Rat
[/quote]

I'll say this.. If Rat is saying something the company is providing will "shine", I'm a believer..lol.. Say no more.. I'm on board..