ODFL | HAR Carlisle PA linehaul

poconotrucker

TB Lurker
Credits
Thanks in advance for your advice and responses. I'm wondering how many runs are at this terminal, the nature of them, amount of miles. What would a new hire most likely be doing on a day to day basis? Covering runs? I ran through some of the threads on your forum and saw "wild return", "wild bag". Would I be forced on extraboard, or teams? I'm willing to do anything in the beginning except for the latter. I've been gone a lot the past 7 years and have 3 boys at the house I feel like I'm missing out on.

Thanks in advance for your advice and responses. I'm wondering how many runs are at this terminal, the nature of them, amount of miles. What would a new hire most likely be doing on a day to day basis? Covering runs? I ran through some of the threads on your forum and saw "wild return", "wild bag". Would I be forced on extraboard, or teams? I'm willing to do anything in the beginning except for the latter. I've been gone a lot the past 7 years and have 3 boys at the house I feel like I'm missing out on.
Honestly it depends on the Terminal.

Every situation is different. This is such a stupid question for this industry.

The amount of runs and the average mileage of them, is a stupid question? Those are concrete facts about a terminal. I take it you ain't out of this terminal, so hopefully someone out of Harrisburg can chime in.

I'm not out of HAR, but being the major hub in the NE it has tons of runs. You would most likely start out as a wild driver, however with as busy as they are (they are using COH wild drivers to cover their runs) I'd say now is a good time to jump onboard. I say call the linehaul manager and see what insight he can give you. Out of the horses mouth is always the best way to get the info.

@Freightsup thank you for the info. Wild driver could mean wild return or wild bag or the standard 5 days out 2 days home - work the system sort of thing? Reason I ask is because I spoke to a former OD driver he told me they got rid of all layovers at that terminal. Unless I misunderstood him. In your experience, what would be a safe estimate in annual income first year? I'm not a 5 day and done type of guy I am willing to run until I'm out of hours.

@Freightsup thank you for the info. Wild driver could mean wild return or wild bag or the standard 5 days out 2 days home - work the system sort of thing? Reason I ask is because I spoke to a former OD driver he told me they got rid of all layovers at that terminal. Unless I misunderstood him. In your experience, what would be a safe estimate in annual income first year? I'm not a 5 day and done type of guy I am willing to run until I'm out of hours.
Again, I'm speaking from what I know, not being at the particular service center, but I do know of guys that do all of what you said. At our service center our guys are 70-110k a year. That is all a Monday through Friday home every day gig. We are an end of the line a don't bag out of here however.

It's no wonder why our industry has problems finding drivers. There's no such thing as a stupid question just a stupid answer.