ABF | Hats off to a good guy ABF driver...

Great act of kindness. I'm proud he is a fellow ABFer. That being said I wonder when the Fort is going to give him a letter for going out of route....
:lmao: :438: :lmao:
I got a letter for delaying freight by going by the union hall to file a grievance.
With my meal period, I was on my running time, you probably know the letter was withdrawn.

So here is a hideous but true story that happened to an ABF driver many years ago out of 490 Ontario Oregon. I have told this before, but it bears repeating as a lesson. Just consider this as well, and factor it into your thinking.... The mental anguish and litigation surrounding this event was mind-numbing and ruinous for Larry. He is a Christian man and still a friend, thankfully.
Larry was on his bid to Portland one morning around midnight with a set of triples. He got out to the Weatherby rest area interchange on I-84 when a wheel bearing on a left trailer axle on his 3rd trailer seized up and came off the axle spindle at freeway speed. He could not see the smoke of the impending failure in the dark, of course, so had no advance warning. The duals came off and ran alongside his set as he slowed the triples down and pulled to the right shoulder. It is a minor miracle he did not upset the rear box. In hind sight, it probably would have been better if it had. At least it would have been easier to see it in the dark, especially if the marker lights remained on. The duals finally bounced off the center divider and fell over in the inside lane of the westbound freeway.
A Yellow sleeper team was following him and pulled over with him, and the Yellow driver got out to help Larry walk back to try to get the duals off the freeway in the dark. They were both carrying flashlights as they walked back along the rt shoulder. A FedEx set of triples was approaching them down the freeway at 65 mph, so they b
Makes me really want to haul doubles and triples.

Makes me really want to haul doubles and triples.
I've thought a lot about this over the years. Even a semi could have lost a wheel bearing and a set of duals. If he had had a fusee with him, he could have got out and ignited it and threw it back down the freeway in the inside lane to warn approaching traffic. Then walked back to illuminate the duals in the traffic lane while he either tried to remove them or stayed there with his flashlight on the duals until OSP arrived for traffic control. Still dangerous, but perhaps would have prevented this tragedy. It is horrific to realize that by waving their flashlights, they diverted the FedEx truck into the passing lane and into the duals lying the lane unseen.
I did something similar one foggy night on Cabbage hill EB. I heard on the CB that a truck was blocking the EB lanes, and still nearly drove into the side of the trailer in the heavy fog. I got out and waved traffic down with my bright LED flashlight until OSP arrived for traffic control. One of our drivers was coming up behind me, and he said he saw my flashlight waving traffic down even through the fog. But the pucker factor was enormous. I had no choice. I wished for a couple of fusees and a reflective vest that night for sure. It pissed me off that the driver abandoned his truck. I never saw him, even after OSP arrived.