SAIA | Hauling "Airfreight"

Brother Trucker

TB Regular
Credits
Seems like we haul a lot of "airfreight" (translation:empty trailers) lately. I seem to do that a lot on repositioning runs. Had a run this week of a single loaded pup and an empty from OKC to WTK.

Arrived and unhooked and...............you guessed it. I came back with a single loaded pup and an empty. I had just "borrowed" an empty pup and gear just to make the turn. Came back with the same gear and empty.

Is this a great company or what? All this high dollar computer equipment and central dispatch can't even tell what is at the destination terminal or whether or not one or two trailers are needed. Whadda ya think guys and gals?

Empty

BT, It has been my experience that you won't pull a single pup. The only time I've done it is when RJ needed me to take one to Sherman, and I was getting close on my 14 to be able to get back. So I singled just to save time.:1036316054:

Yep,

I've heard of teams pulling empties all over the Rockies just to reposition them to where the freight is. I got in from ELP this a.m. and actually brought back freight on both pups.

Just call central and ask what you are picking up where your going?? we single all the time to HKY. and single back.Theres alot of factos that go into it:where/what are YOU doing/going to from thier;(turn) ect:

the reason you pull an empty with your one loaded trailer is so the trailers don't all end up at one terminal, while another terminal has none. gotta keep that trailer pool even.

the reason you pull an empty with your one loaded trailer is so the trailers don't all end up at one terminal, while another terminal has none. gotta keep that trailer pool even.
I understand that part. However, in a lot of instances the trailer pool could remain balanced just as easily by pulling a single pup since the return trip should involve a single pup as well. A lot of times a single and an empty will be pulled and the return leg is done the same way, or returning with two empties. The point is that equipment is moved unnecessarily and the company incurrs unnecessary expense.

We had an instance when regularly scheduled Sat run (300 mi) meet and turn was dispatched with both drivers pulling empties. Central dispatch made the drivers swap trailers. To quote Bill Engvall: "Here's your sign".

i know what you're sayin brother, esp on the meet and turn. now that's funny. my opinion of companies having you pull 1 load and 1 empty, even if they know you'll be pulling just one load back is it makes it harder for the competition to know what's going on with your freight levels. no one has ever said that as a reason, just my opinion. it really doesn't cost the company much more to pull an empty kite, they don't weigh nothin, and they don't have to pay highway taxes on empties either.

I understand that part. However, in a lot of instances the trailer pool could remain balanced just as easily by pulling a single pup since the return trip should involve a single pup as well. A lot of times a single and an empty will be pulled and the return leg is done the same way, or returning with two empties. The point is that equipment is moved unnecessarily and the company incurrs unnecessary expense.

We had an instance when regularly scheduled Sat run (300 mi) meet and turn was dispatched with both drivers pulling empties. Central dispatch made the drivers swap trailers. To quote Bill Engvall: "Here's your sign".

Stupid
And
Idiotic
A$$holes

You need to leave Saia and come to work for UPSF. We like drivers with attitudes like yours. You would fit in with drivers like webidiot.:hysterical:

I hate to admit it but my brain is a bit twisted. But I LIKE it.
U
Pull
Sorry
Freight

Don't have a cow, it's just my warped sense of humor. :1036316054: