FedEx Freight | Haz Mat education for all.

Odd,
Careless employees that don't GAF. I bet FxF takes notices and raises the pay to attract a higher grade of candidates.

No reason a guy handling serious Haz Mat multiple times a day, every day, should be paid the same as a guy that packes boxes for Amazon.

Odd,
Careless employees that don't GAF. I bet FxF takes notices and raises the pay to attract a higher grade of candidates.

No reason a guy handling serious Haz Mat multiple times a day, every day, should be paid the same as a guy that packes boxes for Amazon.
Are you suggesting people would want to go to Amazon, work full time instead of part time, heated warehouse, 90/10 healthcare day one, no marijuana testing and potentially advance their careers in a growing company?!

That’s odd dock workers may choose that instead….

Ive handled all HM with love and care. None of those loads had any issues. There are several classes I never touched and am glad for it. I tended to be into the Corrosives alot. Which introduces a whole higher level of risk.

If you are controlling a work place with three major spills in two months you have a much bigger problem. Possibly starting with your own workers who cannot be bothered to give a damn for one stupid minute with that hazmat.

"as you go into it you just had to cough." I take that either of two ways. Sheer lack of training to ISOLATE, EVACUATE and CONTAIN if possible. IF its too big then you need to make three phone calls. Chemtrek, Fire and Ambulance and Police together. Then your higher ups in Corporate.

Or a obstinate willful decision to keep working around the spill as if it's someone else's problem. Surely as a Human Being you cannot be THAT stupid... oh wait.

Last edited:
Well yeah, isn’t that how it’s done?
Promote the incompetent until they reach a level where they can’t do any more damage?

There has been more than one occasion a suit and tie man standing on our dock (Or HIS dock rather) trying to get enough input to make a corporate binding decision on the problem. (Usually the cheapest)

I have been thrown out standing my ground. The funny thing is once the safety found out that I am holding a green regulations book in one hand and a hazmat response guide open to that specific materiel (Something drivas do not know nothing about...) demanding diamonds. Now getting the correct diamonds at the far eastern shore of NC can be problematic at times. One got out the paint brush and fast drying latex paints in bright colors with decaling from his office. Slop the colors on there, then stick the numbers and class on there and hand me the properly formatted bill.

I myself dont see it as a problem because they usually painted the BUILDING with taller diamonds in four colors higher than the tractor trailer.

Loaded and rolling at 2 am with a proper rain storm going on heading west. See how that goes.

I bet someone is going to be peeved and call me out for telling a tall story. Likely story, sea story, lunch counter story etc etc etc etc. You werent there. HA.

This isn't the first time something like this happened at this SC. Years ago there was a HM spill of some agricultural products and one of the dock hands called the fire dept. on his own. Mgmt. was incandescent and forbade any more 911 calls unless they did the calling.

This isn't the first time something like this happened at this SC. Years ago there was a HM spill of some agricultural products and one of the dock hands called the fire dept. on his own. Mgmt. was incandescent and forbade any more 911 calls unless they did the calling.
You know management wants to get credit for saving the day….lol

Rumor has it at DSM Safety Above All banners will be removed and instead banners saying Bills Per Hour will be installed to advertise what’s really important. In addition, company wide supervisors will be issued Do Not Disturb hats when they’re discussing important subjects like fantasy football.

Everyone that's been in this business more than 5 months knows this is being blown out of proportion. The picture in the article showed the one spill was being handled properly by isolating it away from the dock with warning cones around it. Granted there should be more accountability for incidents that cause releases though. I left FedEx in 2012 and finally got out of LTL all together the first of June. My last company had policies in place that did go far enough in handling spills through training and corrective action. If a guy got on a final written it is amazing how careful he would become especially after he had seen someone else walked out for multiple spills.

At the same time the vast majority of spills are no where near being actually dangerous or outside of the ability for the local terminal to handle. They dang sure don't need to have 911 called. I had a driver leave my terminal and eventually had the entire interstate closed due to a "spill". They had a full response and even had decontamination showers set up for the first responders. I was in linehaul dispatch talking to people on the scene and explained what each and every shipment on the pup contained yet they blew it out of proportion anyway. Thankfully the white powder didn't kill anyone. Well it might have hurt anyone that had issues with gluten since the power was flour.

Ive handled all HM with love and care. None of those loads had any issues. There are several classes I never touched and am glad for it. I tended to be into the Corrosives alot. Which introduces a whole higher level of risk.

If you are controlling a work place with three major spills in two months you have a much bigger problem. Possibly starting with your own workers who cannot be bothered to give a damn for one stupid minute with that hazmat.

"as you go into it you just had to cough." I take that either of two ways. Sheer lack of training to ISOLATE, EVACUATE and CONTAIN if possible. IF its too big then you need to make three phone calls. Chemtrek, Fire and Ambulance and Police together. Then your higher ups in Corporate.

Or a obstinate willful decision to keep working around the spill as if it's someone else's problem. Surely as a Human Being you cannot be THAT stupid... oh wait.
Well said. Training, & constant practice drills can make a difference in a Haz Mat spill. You live or die, or suffer serious damage to your body based on the training you have. My dispatcher used to ask why it took me longer on a run than most other drivers. And my response ever time was 'I prefer to be late & alive, than early & dead.' Not a piece of freight on the planet worth dying over. von.

Good luck with that. To many phones & to many employees that would call 911 in a heartbeat. Especially if they knew management did not want OSHA to know about certain accidents. Dial *67 911. Or go in to a office if possible, call 911, describe the accident, ask for fire & ambulance, & walk away with the phone off the hook. I guarantee you, a incomplete call will get you a emergency services response. Better yet, after the 911 call, call the local tv station & tell them they will have an exclusive 'live @ 5'. von.

Well said. Training, & constant practice drills can make a difference in a Haz Mat spill. You live or die, or suffer serious damage to your body based on the training you have. My dispatcher used to ask why it took me longer on a run than most other drivers. And my response ever time was 'I prefer to be late & alive, than early & dead.' Not a piece of freight on the planet worth dying over. von.
I had one dispatcher give me a hard time taking a lawful HM around a city. Takes about 42 minutes roughly. So he had to wait almost another hour.

The dweeb let me have it with both barrels when I arrived. I stood in that big room with 20 more suits and blasted a vocal WTF! Thats a HM Bypass for this city, you must be something stupid to give me a fit about being late waiting on MY HM LOAD.

I expected to be fired instantly booming like that. Temper temper. I hedged. By the second hour I had removed the HM from the CDL A at the DMV. The next load that dweeb assigned had to be another HM. I told him I aint. No more HM because of his harrassment.

He exploded. Not even breakfast hours yet. That was my last day there. I walked to the car and left for home. Manager took a minute at the gate asking me can I stay? Hell no. You fire that Dweeb and then maybe.

Thats I dunno... 35 years maybe? I get angry telling that story. How stupid does a dispatcher have to be? Oh WAIT.... Which is probably why I precisely recall that the few dozen relatively dangerous HM was handled without problems.... of the kind that could really be a problem.