Averitt | Haz Mat Traing at home

ltl lifer

Sr. Citizen & Gold Member
Credits
If you are ever told by anyone, your fleet manager, your dispatcher, whomever, that you need to take the hazmat test, keep in mind that you can take this test at home online and get paid for taking it all at the same time.

https://www.insideaveritt.com/Login.jsp
Login and then go to Training and then click Hazardous Material

It will take you from 1.25 - 1.5 hours or so to take it from start to finish. Your pay will show up on your check within a couple weeks.

Your pay will be reflected in the next week or two as training @ $14 per hour. Youre computer keeps up with the time.

Just like uniforms. And I still don't understand why they cannot be shipped to the terminal like they used to be and save us shipping. Does not make sense.

For the second time in as many weeks, I pulled a load that originated at one of our northern most terminals. It was pulled from there and dropped at one of our southern yards by a T/L driver. This load had 17,800 lbs of Cl 3 Flammable UN1210 plus 180 lbs of corrosive. I was assigned on this load to pull and it had Dangerous and Flammable placards. It should have been placarded with Dangerous and CL 3 1210 placards.

This is an issue with this lane of the wrong placards being applied. I personally spoke to the driver that pulled it and he said "This is what XXX terminal gave me to put on it". Would that explanation have passed DOT muster in a road side inspection? Oh hell no. That would have been a $10,000 fine ($2500 per placard) to the DRIVER. Yes, the origin terminal should have placarded it right but drivers, it is YOUR ultimate responsibility to make sure it's right. The driver would have paid this and Averitt would NOT have had to pay it.

I carry stencils and a big black magic marker along with blank placards for this very reason. Every driver has to take that ridiculous, yet effective Andy Averitt Hazmat refresher every 2 years. How do you guys pass this test with your non-nonchalant attitude towards this hazmat?

I carry a couple of bags of different types of placards for almost all haz cargo items, along with blanks and a marker pen. The problem is that alot of the SERCTRS,,staple the B/L's with a ton of staples, so looking at the individual bills is almost impossiable. Then again TRUST BUT VERIFY, when I pull LTL'S into FL I have to cross at least 4 scales, been getting pulled in ALOT these days. WHY TAKE THE CHANCE that someone else did their job!

The final responsibility lies withe the driver. I had a DOT man tell me at a random scale house inspection that it was illegal for me to carry the extra placards behind the seat for obvious reasons. With that in mind, the terminal operations people MUST MUST MUST make sure that the placarding on an outbound load is correct. This load I spoke of came from the same place others have come from that I have had issues with. One of these days, and I am surprised it hasn't happened yet, one of our drivers is going to get fined out the wazoo for this very issue.

Hey Lifer

Im with Fedex, but I have to ask about carrying placards in your truck being illegal? I always carry placards with me in my truck in case one blows off or having the wrong placards on when I hook to a trailer. Some of our drivers are not the brightest crayons in the box, if you know what I mean. Whatever the dispatcher puts on the manifest is what they put on the trailer, might be right, might not?

Tennessee DOT told me it was a violation to have placards in our truck, being if she rolls, blows out the windows and dozens of placards litter the highway would cause mass chaos on the responders.

Whatever the dispatcher puts on the manifest is what they put on the trailer, might be right, might not?
I still carry placards for the reasons you mentioned. Plus there is a dispatcher in one of our northern terminals that cannot seem to get the right info for placards on the manifest so I carry extras for this reason. CM's response below is absolutely the main reason that we are not supposed to carry extras. I still have them stacked behind the drivers seat and there is not a week that goes by where I don't have to dig into the stack.