R&L | Health Benefits Questions

White Shirt

TB Regular
Credits
I am looking for some info on R&L's health benefits. I hear they are 80% coverage. Is there a deductible before coverage kicks in? How much is Dental and Vision per week?

I am looking for some info on R&L's health benefits. I hear they are 80% coverage. Is there a deductible before coverage kicks in? How much is Dental and Vision per week?
Cant tell you about the health coverage but the dental and vision for my wife and I are 6 bucks each per week. I only get the dental coverage as everything else I get on my wifes coverage.

Family Plan Per Week
Medical $70
Dental $6
Vision $2

Deductable $1000 , Person
$3000 , Family

Max out of Pocket $5000 , Person
$10000 , Family

80/20 after deductible till you reach Max. out of Pocket

Family Plan Per Week
Medical $70
Dental $6
Vision $2

Deductable $1000 , Person
$3000 , Family

Max out of Pocket $5000 , Person
$10000 , Family

80/20 after deductible till you reach Max. out of Pocket
Is your guy's insurance still like this? Thinking about applying at Janesville terminal. Anybody know what kind of linehaul runs they have?

Do your homework BEFORE you hire on. Most important question. What is the max that the insurance carrier will pay out over the lifetime of your employment? A wife & 3 kids can max out the family coverage real quick. Especially if someone has a chronic condition that requires expensive drugs or repeat surgeries. The lower the max, the worse for you & the better for the company. I believe with Central States Team Care Insurance, there is NO max for anyone covered. That is the power of a CBA. Don't work under a CBA? Good luck, ya gonna need it. von.

Do your homework BEFORE you hire on. Most important question. What is the max that the insurance carrier will pay out over the lifetime of your employment? A wife & 3 kids can max out the family coverage real quick. Especially if someone has a chronic condition that requires expensive drugs or repeat surgeries. The lower the max, the worse for you & the better for the company. I believe with Central States Team Care Insurance, there is NO max for anyone covered. That is the power of a CBA. Don't work under a CBA? Good luck, ya gonna need it. von.

Central States? Now there's an organization on solid footing!

You are correct. Solid ground. Are you being facetious? Of course you are. But, that solid footing you talk about provided for me cheap weekly payment & continues to @ ABF, thru a CBA that my union obtained for me. Now let us take a closer look @ your quote of 'solid footing’. Rounding off we have 80 bucks a week payment to have medical coverage for the family. About 4100 bucks a year. And that is after withholding which actually is another 20% in taxes. Making your total out of pocket expense for yearly family medical coverage close to 5 grand a year. Sorry, that is just the cost to have the coverage. Hospital & doctors charges are extra. Now back to Central States that you quoted about. When I hired on & to this day a Teamster working under a CBA for YRC Holland or ABF pays nothing each week to have that medical coverage. Now we all have co-pays & deductibles for medical services, & I am willing to wager that the medical coverage from Central States is a whole lot less expensive than what R & L offers. And I had much more money to spend @ the end of the week because I did not pay any weekly premiums. I may be wrong but I believe R & L does not pay over time or only after 55 hours worked. So in closing this very long post I just want to say from a financial point of view, GO UNION. von.

I forgot. When I posted do your homework, I was trying to be helpful. Moving freight be it line haul or city work is hard & dangerous. By doing the recommended homework, you the bread winner, have a important decision to make. Where & to whom do I sell my services to? If I can save 5 grand a year by working under a CBA, that is where I want to work. Union or not, your skill set & labor is of value. Even if you hate unions, you work for the company not the union. Forgot, my union dues were about 60 bucks a month based on a 40 hour 24.50 per hour wage. So maybe I only save 4 grand instead of 5. But from the work rules, to vacation days, sick days, paid birthdays & all the other little things you have from working under a CBA versus not a CBA, I would focus on applying where the benefits out weigh the trucking company with no CBA trying to find a body to put in that seat. von.

Forgot, does R & L pay the road drivers 25 bucks an hour while they wait during break downs? How about when they arrive somewhere & the freight is not ready, resulting in a 3 hour delay. Do they pay you 25 an hour for every hour you wait because management could not manage the freight for your load to be on time. If not their fault & you wait 3 hours because of bad weather, do they pay you for those 3 hours? Freight is ready, but your pre-trip finds you have an air leak. 3 hours to fix it. Do they pay you for that 3 hour delay? I know the CBA I worked under did. Does R & L? I could go on & on. And yes Unions are in a mess. But that mess pays so much better than the non union mess, that I will ride that 'union mess' until it derails. All the time glad I chose the higher paying UNION employer. von.

Keep forgetting. I had 18.2 years vested in that solid footing pension fund you mentioned. And when I retired they said I could have 2040.00 per month gross. Now we all know pension funds (private & public) are hurting. So tell me how much does R & L give you per month after 18. 2 years of working for them? Just curious. von.

I should be sorry for being such a dick in my posts. But when someone comments on the Central States Pension Fund or Medical coverage, I just want people to see the flip side of their comments about 'solid footing'. I am blessed to have worked like I did & end up with a pension like I have. Especially for this industry. I hope anyone wanting to work in a Union job, gets one. I know from experience that the wages & benefits are much better under a CBA than without one. von.

Medical Ins. Is a PRE-tax deduction.
Do your homework.
And here is my homework. We both could be right, or wrong. This link describes the pre or post tax when it comes to medical premiums. Pre tax or not depends on how your plan is set up with the employer. I am guessing that half the truck drivers Will not meet the threshold of enough medical expense to use the deduction. For a family of 2 all the standard deductions total about 19 grand. Then you have to a certain % of your AGI in medical expenses to use that deduction. Everybody has a different situation. The entire point of my response to your solid footing was to show how working under a Union contract can be more beneficial than with out one. But hey, each to his own. I am still waiting on an answer to my question. How much does R & L pay a retiree each month after 18.2 years of service. Just wondering. von.

http://thelawdictionary.org/article...-are-considered-pre-tax-or-post-tax-earnings/

I should be sorry for being such a dick in my posts. But when someone comments on the Central States Pension Fund or Medical coverage, I just want people to see the flip side of their comments about 'solid footing'. I am blessed to have worked like I did & end up with a pension like I have. Especially for this industry. I hope anyone wanting to work in a Union job, gets one. I know from experience that the wages & benefits are much better under a CBA than without one. von.
Von many of us get where your coming from but it's not very realistic for many of us on the east coast to get a pension that is in good financial condition. If a non union driver put the few extra dollars an hour they mostly make into their 401k at a young age they would be better off than a traditional pension. I have friends who are vested in two pensions and have received letters stating both are in critical status. It's a complete shame what's happening to all of us these days.

Von
Health insurance premiums taken from payroll are pretax.
Every job I have ever had the health insurance payment taken from my check is pretax.

Out of pocket expenses have to be taken at tax time if you itemize.

Von
Health insurance premiums taken from payroll are pretax.
Every job I have ever had the health insurance payment taken from my check is pretax.

Out of pocket expenses have to be taken at tax time if you itemize.
You are correct. But most people don't meet the threshold expense for medical expenses against their AGI. If your AGI is 50 grand then 10% is 5,000. Any Medical expense that qualifies above 5 grand is what you are allowed to deduct. The first 5 grand I believe you can't use. If true, you would have to have a lot of out of pocket medical expense to use that option. With the standard deductions @ exemptions for a family of 2 any expense, medical or not would have to be above 18,000 to itemize. That is why most couples will not itemize. Most peoples expenses are less than all the deductions & credits. When the feds changed the tax laws back in 1986, they hurt the average American. If your expenses exceed 18 grand for 2 people on a AGI of 50 grand, you are just about broke . von.

If you elect to itemize, you must use IRS Form 1040 to file your taxes and attach Schedule A.

• On Schedule A, report the total medical expenses you paid during the year on line 1 and your adjusted gross income (from line 38 of your Form 1040) on line 2.
  • Enter 10% of your adjusted gross income on line 3.
  • Enter the difference between your expenses and 10% of your adjusted gross income on line 4.
  • The resulting amount on line 4 will be subtracted from your adjusted gross income to reduce your taxable income for the year.
  • If this amount, plus any other standard deductions you claim, is less than your standard deduction, you should not itemize.
Remember, your tax software will ask you simple questions about your expenses, tell you which deductions you qualify for, and fill in all the right forms for you.

You are correct. But most people don't meet the threshold expense for medical expenses against their AGI. If your AGI is 50 grand then 10% is 5,000. Any Medical expense that qualifies above 5 grand is what you are allowed to deduct. The first 5 grand I believe you can't use. If true, you would have to have a lot of out of pocket medical expense to use that option. With the standard deductions @ exemptions for a family of 2 any expense, medical or not would have to be above 18,000 to itemize. That is why most couples will not itemize. Most peoples expenses are less than all the deductions & credits. When the feds changed the tax laws back in 1986, they hurt the average American. If your expenses exceed 18 grand for 2 people on a AGI of 50 grand, you are just about broke . von.

If you elect to itemize, you must use IRS Form 1040 to file your taxes and attach Schedule A.

• On Schedule A, report the total medical expenses you paid during the year on line 1 and your adjusted gross income (from line 38 of your Form 1040) on line 2.
  • Enter 10% of your adjusted gross income on line 3.
  • Enter the difference between your expenses and 10% of your adjusted gross income on line 4.
  • The resulting amount on line 4 will be subtracted from your adjusted gross income to reduce your taxable income for the year.
  • If this amount, plus any other standard deductions you claim, is less than your standard deduction, you should not itemize.
Remember, your tax software will ask you simple questions about your expenses, tell you which deductions you qualify for, and fill in all the right forms for you.
Von

You will need that tax expertise on 1.1.18 when the Obamacare Cadillac Tax kicks in....

Von

You will need that tax expertise on 1.1.18 when the Obamacare Cadillac Tax kicks in....
The Cadillac Tax is or has been removed by Trump & Company. If it hasn't yet, I bet it does when Obamacare crashes. If you itemize, I would pay the 2 to 4 hundred to have a CPA do your taxes. A little pricey but well worth the peace of mind. If he did it wrong he will correct it or you can go after his insurance carrier. In most states A CPA has to carry insurance to cover his errors. Even though you are the final person responsible for your return, you have recourse if a CPA prepared your taxes & did it wrong. von.